Switching to low quality aac or mp3 causes dac to freak out

Ok thanks for the update Eric.

Hi @eric just checking up to see if there is any progress?

@support was wondering if there has been any progress made in acquiring the dac for testing or any other news?

Hi @CrystalGipsy ---- Thank you for reaching out and my sincerest apologies for the delay.

After my previously post in this thread I had opened up a gear request with our tech team so we can start taking steps to get the DAC in house. I just checked in on the ticket and I can see that it is still listed as “pending”. As such I have placed an update request with the team to see where we are in this process.

Once I have clearer senses as to where the team is in this process I will be sure to update immediately. Again thank you for your patience , but more importantly thank your understanding while we try to get this taken care of.

-Eric

Thanks Eric.

As an extra update the dac is fine switching sources via mpd on the same Allo USBridge as using qobuz at the moment through it and it’s happily swithcing back and forth between 44.1k/24bit and 44.1k/16bit so this is definitely a Roon issue

1 Like

Thanks for the additional insight @CrystalGipsy, I have added it to my report!

Again, thank you very much for your patience!

-Eric

@eric it’s been many weeks since I first posted this issue. Is there any progress?

1 Like

Hi @CrystalGipsy —Again, thank you for your patience and understanding here. Our team has been working to get their hands on this device but as of yet we have not been able to get any Arcam hardware into our QA lab for further testing.

I met with the tech team this morning to discuss this issue to see if there is anything we can do in the interim while we wait on hardware. Being that you mentioned that MPD is having no issues with the end point (AllO USBridge > IRDAC II) the team has asked if you could please provide the following:

1. Please play some content via MPD and note the time when you have no issues during playback to the ALLO + ARCAM endpoint outside of Roon.

2. Once you’ve noted the time of the successful playback run please harvest a set of your MPD logs, which can be located here:

home/user/.mpd/mpd.log

1. The logs can be sent over to us via shared dropbox link in a PM addressed to me. If you aren’t a dropbox user, no worries, just let me know and I can provide a different upload method if need be.

Many thanks!
-Eric

Hi Eric there is no logs in that location. I can find one in /var/logs/mpd but having looked at it myself there is really nothing in other than a list the tracks played nothing else. Is this really what you after? Do I need to enable something else in MPD to get more info in logs?

Hi Eric, I have an update for you. As I was getting frustrated I decided to change the version of ffmpeg again. So found a more recent binary release and low and behold it seems to have sorted the issue for now. Hopefully forever. Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Update it didn’t work for long. :frowning: also the whole unit threw a fit and nothing would play at all.

A post was split to a new topic: iFI Pro DAC dropping it’s connection to the SMS-200 after format changes during playback

Sounds like what’s happening to me.

1 Like

Also I thought I had fixed it but it started doing it again this afternoon. :frowning:

A post was merged into an existing topic: iFI Pro DAC dropping it’s connection to the SMS-200 after format changes during playback

Hello @CrystalGipsy,

Could you relay to us the ‘alsa output’ during MPD playback of a 24 bit file? The same information you included previously would be perfect.

-John

Hi @john
Here you go
root@DietPi:~# cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 5513
buffer_size: 22050
root@DietPi:~#

From Roon playing same file
root@DietPi:~# cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 882
buffer_size: 1764
root@DietPi:~#

This is the same symptom I had on this thread

Guess what - if i my track list switches from FLAC to AAC then this issue resurface.

If I use Audirvana no problems.

I believe it’s not a single DAC issue.

Sean

Likely Audiovarna is not decoding aac at 44.1/24 Roon does and it’s this bitdepth switch from the same sample frequemcy but different bitdepth that causes the issue and it is been diagnosed as DACs with xmos chipset but not all of them. It’s already been logged with XMOS as a bug and Roon have contacted DAC manufacturers.

Read this DAC issues with XMOS usb chipset and Roon on Linux