Synology NAS for Roon

The SSD is just for the Roon database, so it doesn’t need to be large. 32GB should be fine. My collection is around 20,000 tracks (locally stored) and the database is only about 3GB.

The advantage of having the database on an SSD is that it makes the Roon app more responsive.

I have recently moved over to a NUC running ROCK, because I have a few multichannel DSD albums, so I needed the extra horsepower to be able to stream them properly.

1 Like

Great, thanks for your reply.

I did not notice any speed improvements connecting an external SSD for library. Tested with DS713+.

Dear Virtuoso,

Okay, I put an SSD (250GB) on my USB-Port of my NAS and installed the RoonServer-Software onto it. But now, I am a bit confused of what I`m supposed to do next.

Could you give me a hint?

Greetings, Roger

Using the Synology web interface, you install the Roon Server app on the main Synology NAS drive and then create a share on the SSD which Roon uses for its database.

Just follow the instructions here (make sure you do everything in the correct order):-

Hi Roger,
if you want to use a USB storage option, I’d recommend initialising it first in the Synology DSM with a ext4 filesystem. (Control Panel -> External Devices: Select your USB Storage and select format on the top bar). This process will delete everything on that disk!

USB devices will automatically be listed in the shared folder list as usbshareX. To use it as a storage for Roon Server’s database, you need to rename it to “RoonServer”. This can be done by selecting the usbshareX entry in the list and click the “Edit”-button.

Afterwards you just need to install the spk in the Package Center (if not already done before).

Is this still a requirement? I was under the impression that Roon saves the database where you tell it to.

The web interface is not yet available on Synology.

1 Like

Hello Christopher,

I think that I did everything you mentioned above. What do I have to do next? When I change the core to my NAS, there are no albums to see, then back to my Mac and everything is still there. Do I have to migrate the Roon database to the SSD first? And if yes, how can I do so. Sorry about to bother you.

And thanks a lot for your patience and help!

You should backup the roon database on the Mac then restore it from the core on the nas. Not the nas for will probably have the same name as the old Mac core. Can change in settings. Should be details in the KB pages

Have an issue with my Synology I cant solve.

Using a Nucleus with internal hhd and need to make copy just once of all music files stored on the Nucleus to a usb hhd I will have to attach to my Synology since the nas itself doesnt have sufficient capacity.

How do I do this - can someone please explaine this for “dummies”, since I cant understand how to do it reading the Synology manual?

Hi Friends,

Many thanks to all of you, who reached with a helping hand. I finally managed it.

Everything works just fine now. Thanks to Virtuoso, Christopher Rieke, BlackJack, and Wizardofoz!!!

The Community is just great.

Now I can shut down my Macbook and the music still plays. Great!!! Goal reached.

many greetings to all of you from Switzerland

Ciao zämu

1 Like

Hi Christopher,

Many thanks to all of you, who reached with a helping hand. I finally managed it.

Everything works just fine now. Thanks to Virtuoso, Christopher Rieke, BlackJack, and Wizardofoz!!!

The Community is just great.

Now I can shut down my Macbook and the music still plays. Great!!! Goal reached.

many greetings to all of you from Switzerland

Ciao zämu

I have an existing BlueSound Vault-2i controlled by an iPad and am in the process of installing a Synology DS1019+. Can I use the NAS as the Roon Core?

Hi @Bruce_Butler,
Welcome to the Roon Community!
That machine will probably work. The processor (Intel Celeron) is technically below spec. But others have used machines similar and report success. You do have the M2 SSDs installed, correct? That should certainly help.
A slow CPU will be most noticeable when you are first setting things up. The database has be be established and there will be some background audio analysis being done. So you need to give that some time before coming to a final judgment. If you find the performance is just too cludgy to live with, it’s the Celeron. Responses on Roon should be nearly instantaneous.
Note this web site by one of our members. It’s devoted to Roon operation on a NAS.

@Bruce_Butler Since a few months i am running my core on a DS918+ and it works just fine. This machine has almost the same specs as your DS1019+. I have added 8GB RAM and my first disk is a SSD especially for Roon. The other three disks are Western Digital Red drives for my data and music storage. Besides Roon the system also runs Surveillance Station and it works without problems. My offline collection is pretty small with about 1000 albums, but i mostly use Tidal. And i don’t use dsp and have just two endpoint. A pretty simple setup, but it works great.

Before i had the core on the NAS i was running ROCK on a nuc with an i3 cpu and it felt a little bit faster and snappier, but now i am running one less device.

It would be very nice if Synology would make it possible to use the M2 SSD’s as a normal volume in stead of just a cache drive. The cache doesn’t do a lot so some extra drive space would be nice.

Thanks for the info, I don’t have the SSD’s yet, but will by tomorrow. Not sure what size I needed so went with the 1Tb for each.

You can’t use the m.2 cards on the synology for data, they are cache only as far as I know. You can use an ssd in a drive slot or (not ideal) on a USB port, but don’t use a flash drive. Qnap you can use the m.2 as cache or disk tho iirc.

2 Likes

Hi! Sorry for my English, I don’t speak it.
In fact, you can easy using the M.2 SSD drive is not as a cache, but as a disk storage on 918+.
Here is a detailed guide on how to do this: https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/a7o44l/guide_use_nvme_ssd_as_storage_volume_instead_of/
I have been using M.2 SSD on my 918+ for a long time on which installed RoonServer and Roon database.
In my NAS has installed 16 GB of RAM (two 8GB modules).
Roon Core works perfectly and is very effective in terms of interface speed.
I absolutely have no desire to change RoonServer location from NAS to NUC for ROCK.

1 Like

I have seen that post and was (am) very tempted to try it, but my NAS is also used for other things so i don’t like to mess around with ssh when there is no support for it in DSM. Hopefully Synology will enable this feature in an upcoming update.

There still is a chance that i will try this anyway :wink: So thanks for bringing this to my attention again.