Synology NAS for Roon

Is this still a requirement? I was under the impression that Roon saves the database where you tell it to.

The web interface is not yet available on Synology.

1 Like

Hello Christopher,

I think that I did everything you mentioned above. What do I have to do next? When I change the core to my NAS, there are no albums to see, then back to my Mac and everything is still there. Do I have to migrate the Roon database to the SSD first? And if yes, how can I do so. Sorry about to bother you.

And thanks a lot for your patience and help!

You should backup the roon database on the Mac then restore it from the core on the nas. Not the nas for will probably have the same name as the old Mac core. Can change in settings. Should be details in the KB pages

Have an issue with my Synology I cant solve.

Using a Nucleus with internal hhd and need to make copy just once of all music files stored on the Nucleus to a usb hhd I will have to attach to my Synology since the nas itself doesnt have sufficient capacity.

How do I do this - can someone please explaine this for “dummies”, since I cant understand how to do it reading the Synology manual?

Hi Friends,

Many thanks to all of you, who reached with a helping hand. I finally managed it.

Everything works just fine now. Thanks to Virtuoso, Christopher Rieke, BlackJack, and Wizardofoz!!!

The Community is just great.

Now I can shut down my Macbook and the music still plays. Great!!! Goal reached.

many greetings to all of you from Switzerland

Ciao zämu

1 Like

Hi Christopher,

Many thanks to all of you, who reached with a helping hand. I finally managed it.

Everything works just fine now. Thanks to Virtuoso, Christopher Rieke, BlackJack, and Wizardofoz!!!

The Community is just great.

Now I can shut down my Macbook and the music still plays. Great!!! Goal reached.

many greetings to all of you from Switzerland

Ciao zämu

I have an existing BlueSound Vault-2i controlled by an iPad and am in the process of installing a Synology DS1019+. Can I use the NAS as the Roon Core?

Hi @Bruce_Butler,
Welcome to the Roon Community!
That machine will probably work. The processor (Intel Celeron) is technically below spec. But others have used machines similar and report success. You do have the M2 SSDs installed, correct? That should certainly help.
A slow CPU will be most noticeable when you are first setting things up. The database has be be established and there will be some background audio analysis being done. So you need to give that some time before coming to a final judgment. If you find the performance is just too cludgy to live with, it’s the Celeron. Responses on Roon should be nearly instantaneous.
Note this web site by one of our members. It’s devoted to Roon operation on a NAS.

@Bruce_Butler Since a few months i am running my core on a DS918+ and it works just fine. This machine has almost the same specs as your DS1019+. I have added 8GB RAM and my first disk is a SSD especially for Roon. The other three disks are Western Digital Red drives for my data and music storage. Besides Roon the system also runs Surveillance Station and it works without problems. My offline collection is pretty small with about 1000 albums, but i mostly use Tidal. And i don’t use dsp and have just two endpoint. A pretty simple setup, but it works great.

Before i had the core on the NAS i was running ROCK on a nuc with an i3 cpu and it felt a little bit faster and snappier, but now i am running one less device.

It would be very nice if Synology would make it possible to use the M2 SSD’s as a normal volume in stead of just a cache drive. The cache doesn’t do a lot so some extra drive space would be nice.

Thanks for the info, I don’t have the SSD’s yet, but will by tomorrow. Not sure what size I needed so went with the 1Tb for each.

You can’t use the m.2 cards on the synology for data, they are cache only as far as I know. You can use an ssd in a drive slot or (not ideal) on a USB port, but don’t use a flash drive. Qnap you can use the m.2 as cache or disk tho iirc.

2 Likes

Hi! Sorry for my English, I don’t speak it.
In fact, you can easy using the M.2 SSD drive is not as a cache, but as a disk storage on 918+.
Here is a detailed guide on how to do this: https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/a7o44l/guide_use_nvme_ssd_as_storage_volume_instead_of/
I have been using M.2 SSD on my 918+ for a long time on which installed RoonServer and Roon database.
In my NAS has installed 16 GB of RAM (two 8GB modules).
Roon Core works perfectly and is very effective in terms of interface speed.
I absolutely have no desire to change RoonServer location from NAS to NUC for ROCK.

1 Like

I have seen that post and was (am) very tempted to try it, but my NAS is also used for other things so i don’t like to mess around with ssh when there is no support for it in DSM. Hopefully Synology will enable this feature in an upcoming update.

There still is a chance that i will try this anyway :wink: So thanks for bringing this to my attention again.

i use an older 1813+ 4GB ram with a few TB of Music
Have a Intel Nuc i7 with Rock for roon server beside it. (with a M2 ssd)
i see no need for a cache SSD in my synology, search and browsing in roon is fast as hell with Rock.
With the roon server on the synology, search was a bit slow, think a ssd could help then.

Hello Folks - Currently running Roon core on the family iMac (2019 version, core i5). However, prefer to move Roon core to a new Synology disk station or (maybe) Mac Mini

Option1: Synology DS718+, Quad-core Celeron, with 6 GB of memory. Use an external SSD drive for the Roon database (already own this SSD - Samsung T5, USB 3.1 Gen 2). I currently have Synology, so this is a fairly painless upgrade. ~800 ripped CD’s, no hi-rez music content, no immediate plans for upsampling etc.

Option2: The 4 bay QNAP recommended by Roon. Familiar with Synology Disk Station, so QNAP is going to have to have clear advantages.

Option 3: New MacMini (core i5), keep existing Synology.

Any cautions re: option 1?

many thanks!!

Why not a NUC? With ROCK?

I’m for the first option.I use one myself. Very happy.

Synology and Roon are fine if installed and set up correctly. I have 85K tracks running on a DS36127 Synology system. 50K of my tracks are DSD so the overall folder size is very large indeed. I never have any issues whatsoever. Updates run smoothly and the response is good.

I would think not with this spec assuming you meant the DS3617