Synology NAS for Roon

I am using Synology DS718+ since it was introduced for Roon core. All installed on spinning disc. I have 4200 albums and 38000 songs on it. No problems at all, for me the speed is just fine. Recently I have moved the roon core to a SSD drive attached via USB 3 port at the back of the NAS but to be honest, if there is a speed difference, it is so minimal that I will go back to old arrangemnt at some point. The only thing which I did when I bought this NAS is that I upgraded the RAM to 10GB. I think there are 2 slots there - 2GB each. I replaced one of them with 8GB. It was a very easy operation.

Wizard of OZ - I am exploring the NUC w/Rock, but one is more box to maintain. I am ready for a NAS update anyway, if it works well with ROON for my needs, then great, else a NUC or mac-mini.

1 Like

What about the new QNAP TVS-472XT? I know itā€™s not a Synology so that may be a showstopper for it, but the specs are quite good (for a NAS) with slots for M.2 in addition to the main drives.

Hello Wobare - thank you. I see the 4 GB add-on (B&H photo), but the 8 GB is a higher performance stick. Do you recall which 8 GB you added? Not sure I need to go beyond 6 GB.

Probably 6GB would be fine. I do not remember what RAM I added but there are plenty info online. I can check this but tomorrow.

Hi All
I installed roon on my synology 718+ with ssd and 6gb ram. So far seems to be running really smoothly albeit my library is small and I donā€™t use any additional dsp functions.

My questions is if there is thing I should/can do to optimize DSM for roon? Iā€™m using it only for roon with no other backups or packages running. Is there anything more I can do to optimize for roon?
Thanks!

I do not think so. You could install the Roon database on usb ssd as recommended by Roon but if your library is small I would definitely skip it for now.

All things considered, you just might be better off with an external USB drive. I have about 2,500 albums stored on a LaCie rugged 2 TB connected to the Roon USBC port but, USB2 works just as well.

Nothing wrong with a NAS unit if youā€™re a) planning on storing a lot of family photoā€™s, videos, data or b) information that you want to be able to access internationally.

Meaning, an Intel NUC loaded with ROCK just might be the ticket for you, and a lot cheaper than a NAS unit.

1 Like

I have been using roon core on Synology DS1513+ without issues until recently. It has INTEL Atom D2700 dual core processor. I also have USB SSD attached to the NAS for storing roon database. The user interface is fast enough. Never faced any lags.

The problem started when I tried to stream multi channel Hi-resolution music from Synology to Trinnov processor. In this case, Roon core first converts DSD to PSM and then down-samples the PCM to 96khz before handing it off to Trinnov. It plays the music for few seconds and then starts skipping the tracks.
I fixed this for Qobuz by limiting the streaming quality to 24/96khz. I also bumped the resync delay to 1500ms. But canā€™t do this for locally stored music on NAS. My local collection of Hi-Res multi-channel music is limited and I can always play it using Oppo.

So, the point is, if you donā€™t have to do lot of DSP, Roon core on Synology should be fine. For CD quality music, it consumes less than 10% CPU.
For multichannel Hi-Res, the CPU jumps up to 80% and still canā€™t deliver the music.

1 Like

I use Synologys at both work and at home. They are great. But in my opinion the simplicity and ease with a Rock installation on a supported Nuc beats it. It runs like clockwork and updates and everything just works.

I would really recommend to take this route to Roon. And you can still have your media at the Nas.

A word of caution here: If you have Roon on a NUC and keep the files on a Synology NAS, you will face the problem that Roon will not recognise changes to files on the NAS (tag changes, additions, deletions etc.) until you ā€œforceā€ a rescan. Was a major nuisance to me so I ended up having the music files stored on the NUC as well, synching them back to the NAS.

i use a 1813+ 4Gb ram for my files, so the same machine as yours with 3 hd slots more.
As roon core it worked fine, only searches in database took sometimes 20 seconds in a big database.

now i use a i7 NUC with rock as core with just the files on 1813+ and it works a lot faster.
As Database, i do not need a faster NAS or a SSD inside the Synology

Err, this is kind of a deal breaker for me. Why doesnā€™t Roon recognize file changes on the NAS?

Also do you have to keep the NUC running all the time? What happens if it goes to sleep and you want to play something? Does it wake up automatically?

It doesnt really go to sleep it just sits ā€židleā€œ waiting for your command. It will be ready instantly. Just like a NAS.

It was a deal killer for me. Thats why I mention it. Roon claims changes to files are not ā€œreportedā€ properly by the file protocol (SMB). I think thats an excuse as any other system (MacOS, Windows) picks up changes to files on the NAS instantly for me. Only Roon doesnt for some reason

Thank you.

i start the NUC just before Listening to music
the NAS is running, cause it hold other files too in the network (documents, videoā€¦)
After starting the NUC it takes a minute till i can use it.

When i have new music on the NAS i do a rescan, which needs just 2 Minutes, no big deal
Then i control the new albums for identifying in roon and do some manually identifying again.
My tagging of my flac files is done with mediamonkey and everytime the same Method with cover in the tags
So i have not one album without cover in roon
i love it :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is absolutely a deal breaker for me. NUC is a no go, it seems.

With single drives in the 16TB capacity now why would you need a nasā€¦use the NAS for backups and get on with things. I have 13.25TB on a 16TB drive internal to my core or you can put it on USB even and just use nas now for backups.

1 Like