Synology SPK-Package: Development

@Nick_Shanny - Well an 1812+ user here. 3GB memory in the NAS. RoonServer installed on SSD drive on NAS.

RoonServer on NAS. Either RoonBridge on a Mac or PC or using microRendu.

2598 Albums, 32,046 Tracks.

I am able to playback Tidal, DSD64, 24/192 and redbook flawlessly.

Do you have alot of other packages running on your NAS? How much memory do you have?

When you say playback issues, what do you mean?

Big delta is I have never tried direct USB output from my NAS.

Hi Andrew, you mean it works fine on a DS716+ ?

Roon 1.2 (128 and 142) 64bit are both running well on my DS415+ with no restrictions.
Even the Update via the Roon app worked!

Just to confirm that OpenVPN was the issue that stopped my install from working. All working fine now on DS412+ with a 18000 track library.

thanks

1 Like

Sorry for the stupid question but I’m not able to find where to download the spk…

Works great.

With the 2Go RAM inside or more ? With a SSD inside ?

BR

As with build 142, OpenVPN should be working again while running RoonServer.

I’ll be away in vacation for about a week now and not be able catch up here so frequently.

You can be the first!

If you’re worried about installing a package that’s not official Synology, I can assure you the package is running fine on my 415+. Should be easy as any package to uninstall if the need arises, but it hasn’t here. Christopher obviously knows what he is doing. Much appreciated since it’s not clear the Roon Labs team would get to it any time soon.

I don’t even have 15,000 CD’s and LP’s combined, let alone rips and digital downloads. My plan is if the Synology gets overloaded down the road, to get a more robust but low power consumption server machine, perhaps a NUC, and continue to host the library on the Synology. I was curious about when thatt may be. Maybe never. Last night I ripped one CD and it appeared instantly in Roon. I’ll be happy to report how it goes as I make a concerted effort to rip my CD library, but it’s not reaching 15,000 any time soon.

quick update - 25,000 lossless songs ranging from 16bit 44khz to 24bit 192khz mostly flac but also some dsf and dsd files. browsing roon is pretty snappy, I don’t detect any lag, feels the same as when it ran on my PC.

A couple of hours of continuous use this evening and the responsive feel of RoonRemote remains consistent across my android phone (Galaxy S7) and my laptop.

Next - would be interesting to see if I can get the Roon Server app installed on the Synology to recognise my Oppo 105D as a DAC via usb. My ideal setup would be to control Roon as I am, but route playback throug Oppo as the audio output device.

After writing with danny, he suggested making some changes. I removed the whole Import/Export procedure. In the current version you should create a shared folder called “RoonServer” on a volume of your choice. This could also be an external USB drive. (for external devices there is automatically a share created -> Rename it to RoonServer then.)

You can now have access to the “RoonServerData” (I called it previously “Roon_Database”) and have access to logs and can manually make backups of it. You can also use external drives now to store the data as it is not stored in the package directory anymore.

Please uninstall the previous package if you would like to try it.

One missing AlsaLib is also included in the package and its location will be passed to the RoonServer start script.

let me know, i there are any issues with the new spk.

Synology_RoonServer_1.0-b1.spk

1 Like

Mmm, doesn’t seem to work for me. After the install it doesn’t start.
I created a share /volume1/RoonServer but I do not see anything appear in it during\after the install.

Thanks for the quick fix @crieke!

For those moving from the old package, you can simply have the old package export your setup to a tmp directory and then copy it back after the new install, simply into the new share.

@rovinggecko’s issue should be solved now. I adjusted one line and updated the spk-file.
The link is back in post #159.

1 Like

Super !

Works perfectly, now also with a USB DAC on the Synology :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Unclear about something,

If I attach an external drive (something fast like an external ssd drive), can I store the roon database there? I would assume that you first install the external drive (which creates a new volume) and create the roonserver share folder there.

Will this result in a faster experience rather than storing the roonserver share on the RAID volume.

One other question-- where does the roon server installation go? Does this stay on the original RAID volume?

I also have all my music on this same NAS, in the original RAID volume. How does this impact the installation process?

Hi steveoat87,
The package will still be installed on an internal volume (due to restrictions in the dsm).
When RoonServer is launched it will look on all volumes for the folder “RoonServer” and will use it for its data storage (meta-info, logs, audio setup).
If you would like to use an external drive or ssd it should be setup for Synology first. (I can’t give accurate steps at the moment as I am currently on vacation and not able to connect a drive to my Synology).
However the share (in the dsm “shared folder” config) has to be renamed to RoonServer.

You could also add music to that external drive, but the path is more complex than on a regular volume. In roon you have to enter something like /volumeUSB/usbshare/FolderWithYourMusicFiles.(I have to look it up later on my laptop. I currently just have my smartphone here.)

So in general: RoonServer binaries have to stay on an internal volume, RoonServerData can be located on any volume and the music files as well.

I can’t say anything about performance yet. Hopefully other users with bigger libraries can tell more about it.

Hi Chris,

What a wonderful help your package is and what a great job you’ve done so far. Many thanks, much appreciated!

One question:
I’ve installed the previous version of the SPK on my NAS, and I cannot access the Roon database directly as I assume it still is located in /var/packages.
The new SPK allows to create a shared folder RoonServer where the database lives. I would like to do this, but how’s about the existing database? How can I move it to the new share correctly? And after it’s moved, will the new SPK recognize it as existing?

Again thanks so much.

Cheers
NOA

When you have the previous version installed, you can click on “uninstall” in the package center and you will be asked for an export location. Enter your export location as you did in the import window. (e.g. /volume1/music ).
If you already have created the RoonServer share, you can also use it as an export location (/volume1/RoonServer - if it has been created on volume1).
A new folder should be created called Roon_Database_DATE_TIME. Copy the contents of this directory (2 folders should be in there) to the root directory of the RoonServer share.

1 Like

I tried running the synology package on my 415+ with 2 GB RAM, using the RAID configuration (NAS drives).

I have a very large collection (over 15,000 albums) and wanted to assess the experience.

In short, it was not good. The package ran fine, but was incredibly slow to create the database. I ended the experiment before the database was 5% complete,since it was taking forever for the database to build.

I also had difficulty having HQ player run consistently.

So the package does work, but at this time, it is probably only for much smaller libraries.

Building the database is the part that needs the horsepower. And playing while it builds could suffer from it on a low end box.
Just curious, do you already have a database build on a different machine?
You could try to copy that over and see how that runs. Would expect the experience to be better.