Synology SPK-Package: Development

It needs to be installed. DAC worked when audio station was installed but not running. When I uninstalled audio station the DAC disappeared from Room and music stopped playing.

The libasound.so.2 library that I put in the package is the cause for it. I grabbed it from the AudioStation package and It expects the alsa config in the audio station folder. I will try to resolve it.

Until then just keep AudioStation installed and it should workā€¦ :wink:

I tried this with my 412+. The database is on a usb3 SSD. Cant say that it noticeably improved search performance. I dont have any spare internal drive bays, but if you do you might try and install an SSD internally as a seperate volume and install the database there. I would expect that to perform better than external USB3.

Update to the above. I decided to upgrade to an 1815+ yesterday. I implemented a read/write cache with two cheap Dgm ssds. The searching and album cover picture loading is pretty much instant.

1 Like

Could you elaborate on what you mean by thisā€¦whatā€™d you doā€¦I may want to follow suite seeing as the card my SSD is running on has two slots?

I have the exact same question. Would be really great if this works, also having a 1815+

Correct me if I am wrong.
@BE718 created an SSD Cache with 2 SSDs as described here.

Yes thats it.

Note that you do need two drives to do this. If you donā€™t have two free slots, or you want to reduce cost, you could just use one and place the database on that. I havenā€™t tried this but as far a I can see it should work as fast as the read write cache (The read only type cache may work a bit faster as its striped). The downside is it wonā€™t help with the rest of the data on the nas.

I just used the cheapest drives I could find.

http://www.austin.net.au/digimate-s3-series-120gb-25-ssd.html

1 Like

In my case Iā€™m not running on a NAS, but a Linux based i5 with 16GB RAM. The OS sits on a USB3 flash drive, and thereā€™s a dedicated SSD in a PCIe slot for Roonā€™s database. Wondering whether thereā€™d be any real performance gain adding a 2nd identical SSD and striping them.

I have not tried it but I suspects that IOPS read random acces is more important than raw sequential transfer. The Roon data base is small Even for large collections.

Mineā€™s around 30GB!

Most of that is probably cower art, but even if it where 30 GB it is still small.

Has anyone of you tried, if DSD (64/128) works with a connected USB DAC?
This depends on the linux kernel and I am unsure if it will work.

Great to see the development on this.
I installed it on DS412+ but canā€™t get it to run. Was there any workaround or is it time for a NAS upgrade?

Can you open the Package Center, click on Roon Server and take a look at the log file?

No Data.

Unfortunately. I click Run, and nothing happens.

Please check the package log:

Please use the latest version:
Uninstall your package and follow the instructions in post 167 if you need to export your database.
The new version will save all the RoonData in a shared folder called ā€œRoonServerā€ (that needs to be created before).

Download version 1.0b1 from post 159 and try again.
There should be some info in the log screen afterwards.

Not having much luck Iā€™m afraid. I simply uninstalled the previous version and then tried the latest version. It failed as per image so I rebooted NAS just in case. Same "Failed to install ā€œRoonServerā€ error message.