Synology SPK-Package: Development

I’ve send you a PM to investigate this.

1 Like

Hello,

Unfortunately, I recently purchased a Synology 416, I did not know the +. but I can not use Roon with computer.always on. You could also develop a package for Synology other processors in the future? There are so many people who do not have a +.

Thanks for the work you and best regards

Hi Massimiliano,
It is not possible, as the package requires the RoonServer Linux package which is downloaded during install from the Roon website. This is only available for intel 64bit CPUs.
You can still use the DS416 as a music storage, of course.
A lot of recommendations for a dedicated Roon Server can be found in this forum. There are also some quite affordable ones. Maybe this could be an option for you?

Hi Christopher,

Is a 415+ NAS great for even Roon in the future? Do you need to increase the RAM?

Thanks

There is no general answer to you question. It depends on how big your music library is (and how big it will grow in the future). With a DS415+ you’ll be still under the recommended specs. Even though it will run, I can’t give promises about the experience compared to a device that fulfills all the specifications.
Don’t get me wrong here. Roon on Synology might also totally suit your needs. But I can’t answer that for you.
I created the package in the first place for people (like me) who already had a compatible Synology at home, so they could try it out and see if it sufficient for their needs.

ok Thanks Christopher, still I wonder if the stable update packages for Synology Intel is expected in the future, or it is a personal matter, and of the moment?

I have another question: can be installed on a 415+, alongside 3 HDD in Raid5 with music, another disk 1TB SSD, perhaps as another add volume and use it only for Roon?

I can’t answer your first question, as I have no insights in the development of Roon.

If you have a 4 disk unit you can set up 3 hard drives as a RAID 5 volume and add an SSD as a separate one and install Roon Server on it. But I doubt you’ll need 1 TB of size for it. If it will be just for the Roon files, 64-128 GB should be more than sufficient.

An Atom based device will work, but in no way would I call it “great”

I’m waiting for the 2016/2017 model announcements, and think I’ll do an upgrade then. On my 1813+ I notice occasional drop-outs and it struggles to maintain synchronization between zones.It also doesn’t have enough oomph to transcode DSD256 to PCM for some of my zones to handle. So, I’m curious if you have any experience with the 1815+, and if the updated processor can handle these more CPU intensive activities better than the 1813?

Have you checked your Ressource-Monitor when these occasional dropouts happen? Just to assure it really is about the cpu…
I really would like to have the DS3415. It has the recommended i3 cpu and( as far as I could see on some pictures of the inside) the cpu is swappable…
The only downside is the price tag… :frowning:

It’s also working on DS916+! (8 GB)

1 Like

Quick question, because we have created a music volume (which was created by Synology) and when I add this to Roon, it recognizes the folder, which has music in it, but Roon does not see any albums.

The music directory is in volume1/music (according to file system), but that one is not recognized by roon, \nas\music is recognized.

Any idea?

instead of
volume1/music

try
/volume1/music

Also this needs to be added as a local folder (not a network share).

I think I found out why USB DACs over USB did not work without “AudioStation” installed:
AudioStation loads some kernel modules to activate the capabilities of USB Audio.
I hope this will work in the final release without AudioStation installed. It does at least on my device.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

just got this running on a dedicated 713+ that I was in the process of getting my 8.5TB of music copied over to. lots of problems playing while its copying the music over and trying to import the library too. I also have Jumbo set on so need to kill that once the files are done copying.

sadly just dropped a fair amount on a new PC i5-6500 in a silent streacom case to run Roon and jriver (for the video support), but if I can have it all on the smaller was (my main unit is a 1813+) that would be nice.

I have similar problem with 412+, Roon finds my favorite Tidal albums but not the music on NAS. Tried both with NAS hostname and IP address.

If your music is also hosted on your Synology, you have to add these folders as a local folder. A smb share will not work anymore:

The local path on a Synology device looks like this:
/volumeX/(share-name)/(folder)
Note that the X has to be replaced by the volume number on which your music share is stored.
If you only have one volume installed it is most likely volume1. Check your share settings to be sure about it.
If your music files are stored in a folder “flac” within the music share and the music share is on volume1, it would be

e.g.
/volume1/music/flac

3 Likes

Thanks. Now Roon is scanning the music folder.

Would it be possible to have also a “restart” option in addition to start and stop in the Synology Package Center dialog?