System Update With Limited Budget

@RTaylor3rd -

Don’t want to enlighten me?

OK, apologies for prying.

Peace.

Funny! I’m actually working. I work for B&O. The 50s have all the digital inputs and an analog. They sound fantastic but i want an easier switching mechanism. When I connected my DAC I didn’t notice a significant change in sound stage or image plus I got control more conducive to my liking. Plus the XLR sounded better than all so I just use it.

1 Like

OK, thanks. Now I understand.

Check out the Mutec 3+ USB. Nice piece of kit.

Have fun.

Just went to the link you sent. Theoretically I could remove the DAC component completely and go Macbook USB to Mutec 3 to digital input of speaker. Interesting test.

Desktop or main setup? Number and type of inputs needed. Is a Headphone amp something you need. If you can live without MQA, take a look at the Benchmark DACs.

Yes, I believe that’s true. Make sure you understand what the Mutec does, the specs are a little confusing. For instance, it can seem like the device acts both as a master clock and a USB re-clocker/format converter, but it’s one or the other.

I bought some kit at the Sweetwater website. I had questions, they were very helpful. Living where you do, there’s probably many local stores that carry Mutec.

thanks for your incite @xxx

1 Like

It’s been a while since I used a 2012 Mac Mini for my Roon Core, but it definitely should do > 96/24 over USB. However, I believe the Mac will only give you options that the attached DAC will accept. Some USB DACs are limited to 96/24, primarily because that’s the limit of USB Audio Class 1 (UAC1), and until recently UAC2 required a special driver for Windows. Macs have had UAC2 drivers for a long time now (sufficiently long that I’ve forgotten which macOS version introduced support). A USB->SPDIF converter might help in your situation.

Good luck!

2 Likes

That Mac will make it as Roon Bridge but as a core machine you will struggle imho. Under min spec

1 Like

fortunately i have no issues with it as a core. simply looking for improvement. it will be replaced next month with nucleus+

Which DAC did decide upon?

I’am leaning Mytek Brooklyn however Benchmark and iFi Pro came up so I’ll do a bit more reading. Difficult to test these things since there are so few retailers with inventory on hand.

I like the idea of a Brooklyn bridge, being a Roon endpoint with an ethernet input.

I did a lot of research myself and just picked up a Benchmark DAC 3 HGC last month direct from Benchmark. 24/192, DSD (DOP) no MQA. (I have two other MQA DACs ( PS Audio DSJr & Meridian Prime DAC/Headphone Amp.). The Benchmark is sweet. I use it as a direct headphone amp and as a DAC feed to my Amps and Sound Encore tubed headphone amp. You don’t see many of the Benchmarks second hand…they are a really great device. Benchmark will let you trial them too. I may add a Nucleus at some point myself.

Serious consideration. If I’m not mistaken the bridge will allow me to put the nucleus away?

Will be interesting to see how you compare the two setups when the time comes :sunglasses:

1 Like

I use a mojo with my I-mac and Roon software use as desktop speakers the audioengine DS 2+ and a subwoofer (in my home office)and than I use a wireless wifi from audioengine to get all my music in my mainstereo -system at my leaving room.It works very well and it’s affordable .Control Roon library at my leaving room with my I-Pad or HP .

1 Like

Won’t replace the nucleus, but will allow you to keep it out of sight if that’s what you want.

If I get your setup correctly, you’d end up with something like Nucleus => Bbridge, over IP (so rj45 or WiFi, I’d suspect rj45 is preferable), B&O streamer => Bbridge, over toslink, Bbridge => Beolab 50 over XLR.

1 Like

Hi
I have tested several DACs, and I am perfectly happy with ifi audio pro iDSD. IMHO you should have a look to their technical documents on ifi audio site and arrange for a free test, especially if you like XLR. An Amazon buy will give you several days of test and you may return it if not happy…i use a MacBook Pro 2018 with USB-C and this can throw any format to the DAC. When traveling I use a Hugo 2, but pro is better for my taste

As far as a DAC goes, I did the same thing as Slim_Fishgutz. I have an iFi Pro iDSD and am Very happy with it. It offers a lot of sound and processing options. Realistically you will settle on one or two you most prefer, but those will be as good as it gets.