I share here a problem that i have already risen in many metadata posts.
The problem rises ALWAYS when there are to artists with the same name.
If roon has some album metadata (with the correct performer), then adding some file tags, i.e. metadata at track level, causes roon to NOT match the performer with the correct one at album level, but the wrong one.
example: there are 2 main John Taylor.
a jazz pianist:
(these are the same person…)
and the bass player of duran duran
in my jazz albums with the piano player, for example (but this happens in ALL albums)
i get in the credits the piano player at album level (from roon metadata):
and the bass player from the file tags (it disappears if I remove the file tags…)
so basically, roon software finds a “John Taylor” tag and does not match it with its own album level metadata, but looks for another one.
This happens ONLY when there are 2 performers with the same name.
Normally, when only one performer is associated with that name, roon works fine and matches the file tags with its metadata.
Note that on users side, we cannot do anything:
-removing file tags is not satisfactory: we add them to fill in the gaps in roon metadata. and i’m interested in every single player performing in individual tracks…
-correct inside roon software in a no-go way: one should edit the credist for single tracke, removing the wrong performer track by track and add the correct one… very difficult task expecially when there’s not a picture to guide the selection.
I’d like a feedback from the @metadata_support about this.
I add infos on my setup:
Core Win 10 PC, intel i5, 16GB ram
various endpoint: squeezebox touch, raspberry, a couple of win laptops, a couple of android mobiles