Tag mangling album and artist

Hey @PNCD – sorry to have kept you waiting here. I was hoping to find a few minutes to explain some of the subtleties here, and it’s taken longer than I expected.

I understand what you’re looking for here and in a few other threads, and I can tell you that that kind of flexibility is a major part of what we’re working on for our 1.3 release. Full editing will be part of that release, which is really what you’re looking for here.

A few other points to make:

• The field you’re having an issue with here does not come from your Tags. Album Main Performer is a credit we get from our metadata providers which cannot currently be edited, just like other credits. If your goal is to use the Roon interface without Roon’s metadata, I can understand that seems weird, but there is a carefully thought out distinction between Album Artist and Album Main Performer which allow us to categorize albums more accurately than is possible with traditional artist tags. You can read some more detail about this here.

• As @Greg mentioned, the issue here is simply bad metadata from one of our providers. I would agree that AllMusic’s entry seems wrong here, although I don’t see any issue with Genres here. Based on what I know of your genre settings, you should be seeing Lounge and no other genres. Is that right?

• Soundtrack is an album type, not a genre. This allows for more flexible sorting of your collection, letting you focus on the times a performer appeared on a soundtrack, or exclude soundtracks from a producer’s work, or see soundtracks from within a specific decade or genre. Again, this is data that comes from our metadata providers, and which is currently editable. You will need to set the album type back to Main if you don’t consider it to be a soundtrack.

I’ll also just say, @PNCD your feedback was extremely helpful as we designed genre editing for 1.1. The way you’re trying to use Roon is pretty different from how the product was originally designed and, while we don’t plan to make Roon into a tag editor, you’re not wrong when you say that some of your needs are poorly served by the current feature set. We’re working on it, and I hope you’ll continue to be patient as we address the issues you’re raising.

Thanks!