Tag Mapping table please!

Even after grooming I have much less than 50% recognition of my albums, meaning they are simply not in the databases available to Roon. It’s just that kind of collection. Therefore I have to edit my File Tags all the time. I’m fine with this, because there is no way of getting Roon’s metadata out of Roon so I have to have future proofing.

@brian or @mike when you have a moment to do so, please could you publish a reference table of Roon tag mappings for all supported file types? I have seen the list of Tags supports in the 1.1 release notes, but it would be most useful to have a reference for ALL the tags which Roon supports, and also to have “best practice” recommendations where there are multiple options.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Another vote for a tag mapping table. There are many good tag editors out there that are more efficient to use than Roon. A tag map would be very useful to ensure that metadata is arranged in the best possible way before importing to Roon

… + 1,
I understand Roon is a “work in progress” and not only tag oriented but such tag mapping table would be also very usefull for me.

I concur with the reasonable requests. I also appreciate how open to implementing roon’s operations has been demonstrated by roon Labs. Appreciating how many improvements have already been demonstrated, I am patient that other methods and modes if and when adopted will inure to our continued appreciation for all that roon provides re UI/UX/EM.

Best,
Richard

+1, definitely need a mapping table to be able to get the most out of your own metadata where Roon’s is absent, incomplete or incorrect.

Just remembers I’d previously suggested a mapping table here Some thoughts on further enhancing Roon

@support, any chance we can get this going?

1 Like

@mike

As a self-confessed metadata whore I’m looking to get my tagging schema as close as possible to Roon’s requirements to ensure it leverages metadata I’ve added over the years where allmusic/rovi hasn’t. The most common example for me is adding additional artists to a track where an artist has guested on another’s album.

Per the 1.1 release announcement:

[quote]Album Artists and “Performed By”

Roon 1.1 has made a significant change to the handling of Album Artists. This is directly related to the feedback and discussion in this thread.

In Roon 1.0, each album had a list of “Main Artists”, and sorting by artist sorted by the first name in the list. These were represented as links to standalone artist entities, which created a number of problems, and a good bit of arbitrary-feeling behavior. Additionally, it was not clear how to make “Prefer File” settings work for album artist when album artists were represented as links to artists as opposed to text.

In Roon 1.1, we’ve added an additional text field to albums called “Performed By”. This corresponds to the album artist field in file tags, and represents the text on the album packaging that describes the release artist for the album.

Throughout Roon, when we display album artist, or sort by album artist, we are now sorting by the “Performed By” text, as opposed to the first artist in the “Main Artists” list.

The list of Main Artists from Roon 1.0 still exists, and those artists are displayed as links at the top of the album page. Think of them as a list of interesting people or groups that you might wish to navigate to while viewing the album.

This model has a few more moving pieces than in Roon 1.0, but it represents the data that exists in the world more directly. It also makes it possible (in combination with the “Prefer File” preferences described above) to completely drive the text and sorting in the album browser via file tags, which will be a significant upgrade for many of our users.[/quote]

[quote]
Improvements to Tag Extraction
Version 1.1 introduces support for multiple instances of the same tag on a file. This is very important for fully supporting many of the capabilities that some file formats, particularly FLAC, offer.

Roon has added support for many file tags since version 1.0, including:

Track Credits:

PERFORMER
SOLOIST, SOLOISTS
CONDUCTOR, TPE3
PRODUCER, IPRO
LYRICIST
VOCALIST
REMIXED BY, MIXARTIST, REMIXER
FEATURING
DJMIXER
COMPOSER, TCOM
MIXER
ENGINEER
ARRANGER
ENSEMBLE
AUTHOR, IWRI
WRITER

Release Information:
PRODUCTCODE
BARCODE, UPC, EAN/UPN
CATALOGNUMBER, CATALOGUE #, CATALOGNO, CATALOG NUMBER, CATALOGUE NUMBER, CATALOG, CATALOGUE, LABELNO
LABEL, TPUB, ORGANIZATION
RELEASECOUNTRY, COUNTRY, RELEASE COUNTRY

Album Information:
ORIGINALDATE, TDOR, TORY
GENRE, STYLE, GENRES, STYLES
ISCOMPILATION, COMPILATION, TCMP

Delimiters within tags:
It’s relatively common for multiple values to be embedded within the same tag. This is distasteful, particularly when working with file formats like FLAC that support multiple instances of tag. The preferred way to represent multiple values is always to use multiple tags when that’s possible.

When Roon supports multiple values for a field in its data model, it will recognize semicolons and newlines as delimiters. Additionally, when parsing GENRE, GENRES, STYLE, and STYLES, Roon will recognize commas as delimiters.[/quote]

With regards to tag mapping, the closest I can find is in the knowledge base article: I’ve done some searching
https://kb.roonlabs.com/File_Tag_Best_Practice

Many of the abovementioned tags are, however, not referenced in the aforementioned KB entry. A mapping table would really assist in ensuring existing metadata is structured/named in such as way as to maximise its utility in Roon.

As an example, most, if not all of my albums are tagged with ARTIST, ALBUMARTIST and PERFORMER tags. In my schema ARTIST and PERFORMER are both created with the same content and typically contain the ALBUMARTIST as well as individual track artists where an artist has guested on a track.

Does Roon use ARTIST and/or PERFORMER, are they considered the same thing, how do they differ from ENSEMBLE?

If someone with knowledge of the innards is happy to provide some guidance re mapping I’d happily put the table together.

@mike, @joel, any chance of some insights here please? I’m considering killing the performer tag in my file metadata as it’s superflous. Where would I best put guesting artists on a track where another artist is the Performed By artist. I’d like to make sure that any guest artist additions I make are picked up and displayed by Roon.

Thx in anticipation