Tag tracks by owner (i.e. me or my partner) then filter by that tag

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 PC 64 bit running Roon 1.6 (build 416)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired LAN 1000gb internet, Netgear Prosafe gigabit switch.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB to Pioneer DJM2000NXS mixer.

Description Of Issue

I am about to import my music collection to Roon and start using it (finally!).
My partner also has her own music collection.
There is some music that we both have and some music that we own individually.
What I would like to do is consolidate our collections, tag my music with my name and her music with her name.
We both have a lot of music which is of no interest to each other, so, what I am hoping is that once tagged and imported we can filter by each collection - I can just browse mine, or her just browse hers, or browse all of it, as desired.
The tracks which we both own, I’m hoping to tag with both our names so they would appear in both filters (thus avoiding duplicates).

How would I achieve this?

Oliver

I think this will work - stress think, if others would care to chip in it please do. Please!

If you keep your’s and your partner’s music in different folders you can then use Focus to select by storage location (ie folder in your case). Then just set up a bookmark to take you to yours or your partner’s music.

The difficulty is the shared music. The ideal would be to keep this in a third folder then focus on that as well as your individual ones. Not sure if that’s practical though, depends how everything is organised at the moment

Edit - if you can set up the three folder arrangement then focusing on your partners folder only, then holding the select button so that it goes negative (ie everything but this criteria) would be a quick way of doing it (then bookmark)

Phil

Probably also worth considering using the Profiles feature (allow separate history and playlists for example) - see KB for more info

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Profiles

Hi @Oliver_Wetzig,

There are some things you can currently do towards achieving your aim here, but at the moment, in my opinion, Roon doesn’t handle separate user libraries very elegantly. I hope that there will be changes in the future, but I set out below what can be done now.

Firstly and as @Oliver_Wetzig has pointed out, you can create a bookmarked view of top level storage locations using Focus/Inspector/Storage location.

You can then Select All (Select one and use top left menu) the albums in those views and add them to a Roon Tag. Note that a Roon Tag does not create a file tag in your files, it is a separate tag subsisting in the Roon database.

Once you have a Tag for each of you and your partner, you can add albums from the other’s storage location to your Tag and vice versa. Then a Bookmark of your Tag will show all albums with that Tag, where ever located, being the albums in your storage location and the albums in your partner’s storage location that you like and have added to your Tag.

The disadvantages of this method are:

• there is currently no way to start Roon in a Profile with a default Tag view, you will always be shown the complete library first and then have to use a Bookmark to filter;

• Focus filter logic is AND between tools and OR within a tool and cannot currently be customised. So if you use Tags to delimit your respective libraries, you won’t be able to further filter only your library with some other Tag you may have created, as that would require AND logic. You can still, however, further filter with all the usual Focus tools, which are often enough to get what you want.

There is some maintenance involved in adding new releases to each respective Tag, but this is probably no more than would be required to maintain any system providing for separate Libraries.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.