Taking longer to start playback

Mine roon also got very slow after update. It happen just after reboot. My album cover take suddenly minutes to update, it can take minutes before a song start playing after hit play.
Running roon server on a innuos zenit mkII

It was not like this minutes before the update.
Have rebooted many times…

Have a 150 Mb internet line.
Slow browsing from client both on my iPad Pro and Mac mini.

Any trick I can try to better this?

Here is a picture of how it looks like when I hit a album… this can take a long time until it changes, if that happens at all…

Hi @Jens_Petter_Johansen,

Can you elaborate a bit on your current networking setup? What networking hardware is in use?

Can you provide some specific examples here? What content are you playing? How long does it take to start? Does this happen with all content or just streaming?

Can you verify how many tracks are in your library? Is there any analysis (blue spinner in upper right) being performed?

Does this happen with every album? Both streaming and local?

I have fiber that goes to my provider router, from there to a dedicated l2 switch where only my Zenit server is. So, the audio part here is on a dedicated segment. I have troubleshooted network issues ,and can’t see any, nor have I any problems streaming say ex a film…

I can try to open an artist, where nothing happen. Sometimes it is 20 second, but mostly a lot longer, if at all.
Artist can be both tidal and from file server. I am not able to distinguish any difference when on or offline music streaming.
I can also try to start a song, where it just hang for minuts. But it is very up and down where sometimes it can be 10 seconds, up to many minutes.

There can be als f ex radio or a playlist playing in the background just fine, while I at the same time are discover hanging windows as I show here while I am browsing…

Nothing is consistent, one day it can be much better than the next.

problem can also be when I try open a song on a specific album or the album it self…

I have aprox18000 track on local ssd disc on the zenit server and approx 10000 track on nas. I can not say that there is any difference in the experience browsing album on the NAS, the local SDD or Tidal.
The problems is there on all.

Here is a couple more pics from browsing artist, get error message after long time. Here I try hit the artist menu, to brows all artist.

Jens

I tried logging out of tidalntosee if this could help. But that did not make things any particular better…

Here i am browsing Metallica which is an all local ssd disk albums, Same as before

I appreciate the info! I’m preparing a report to pass along to the technical team and I’m hoping you can provide me with just a bit more information:

• Choose 2 artists. Load their page. How long does it take to load (in seconds)? Respond here with the artists and time it takes. How does this compare to 1.5?
  • Start playback on a couple of albums. How long does it take to start? Respond here with the content and time it takes. How does this compare to 1.5?

The above examples will be great data for the team’s investigation. Thank you for your patience and cooperation — It’s greatly appreciated!

Approx 10 min on both of the artists, and approx 7-8 main on both these albums.

When album first is up, starting the song is 1-2 seconds

This used to be instant

Another example…

Opening artist Angus & Julia Stone : 12 sec, opening their album Memories of an Old friend :10 sec, starting the song Paper Aeroplane: 40 sec

And now… Nothing starts…

Everything is just stopped, not able even to start a song, not able to brows an artist…

A error message keeps popping up… I am trying to start a song, not room radio…

Starting to get really sick, not enjoying this anymore…

Wow that sucks, it can be fixed…I made some network adjustments to my core and end-points. All my Artwork…well those who have artwork, appears almost instantly. Switching from page to page is almost instant too, compared to stock.

Fixing this might be too labor intensive [costly] and/or is not on the roadmap.

Apologies for the continued difficulties here.

Have you tried rebooting your Core machine? Are you still experiencing this behavior?

Can you try connecting your Core directly to the router, bypassing the switch? Is there any change when doing so? Can you confirm the model of the switch in use here?

Reboot fixes things a short time… Keep reboot ung each day. Usually ok, not good but better for a short time…

Yes. It has been tried. No change to indicator that switch as a problem…
It is a ll2 switch… Dont remember model at the moment. I have tried with different switches

The team has been investigating these reports and we are hoping to gather some more information about what your current performance is like.

Please see the following steps. After each step below (except the reboot) let us know how many seconds each action takes:

1. Reboot your Core machine.
  2. Open Overview page.
  3. Open Discover page.
  4. Perform a search for “The Beatles”.
  5. Open “The Beatles” artist page.
  6. Open the “Help!” album page.
  7. Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?).
  8. Search for “Daft Punk”.
  9. Open the “Daft Punk” artist page.
  10. Open the “Random Access Memories” album page.
  11. Start playback of “Random Access Memories”.

I’ll pass the above information over to the technical team to aid in their investigation. Thanks!

In our last update we made a change addressing an issue that we identified to cause some slowness issues. This may not be the exact cause of the slowness you were seeing, but I wanted to check in and see how things are performing once everything is fully up to date.

If you’re still seeing slowness can you perform the tests above and let me know how it goes?

Thanks!

A post was split to a new topic: Roon takes longer to start playback of tracks

Hello again,

I should point out that general browsing and navigation within Roon, such as viewing the artists, album or song lists is lighting fast. The Overview, Genres, Discover, Tidal ect, all these pages load very fast if not instantly.

The issues mainly surround actual playback of music files…either local or Tidal, MQA or CD or even MP3, doesn’t matter. Also, iun addition to the syptoms mentioned in my prior post…sometimes a song just fails to play. You have to click on it several times, or first clear the queue etc.etc.

1. Reboot your Core machine.
  2. Open Overview page. 6 seconds
  3. Open Discover page. 28 seconds
  4. Perform a search for “The Beatles”.6seconds to result
  5. Open “The Beatles” artist page. 10 second to all album is in
  6. Open the “Help!” album page. 3 seconds
  7. Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?). 5 seconds
  8. Search for “Daft Punk”. 5 seconds
  9. Open the “Daft Punk” artist page. 5 se ond before all album is syn ed in
  10. Open the “Random Access Memories” album page. 2 seconds
  11. Start playback of “Random Access Memories”. 3 se ond

Se my resultinline, as I said before, tings hets netter atter a bolt of the core server, But I thnk still that waiting mord than 1 se ond to open a album is to long, and non of these resu,t is Even close.

These results hets worst atter sone use during the Day…

If update mase this netter, May e… I have noticed somwhat netter experience om albums that is on my local ssd disc, tidal experience has mot got an netter…

I have seen videos of reviews where it takles under a se ond to open a album, play a file. That is my expectations…
I have starte of the art equipemt, Invested a huge amount of money in equipemt and life time li ens. This is Just mot the experience I was looking for. I have still mot fot any clear understand mg if my expectations Can be met. I would apprechiate if this Can be responsen to… And that I fot sone id a what Can be sone or what to do to er emedy this situation.

Thanks for responding with these results! I’ve passed your info above along to the team for their investigation. I’ll be sure to let you know when I receive their feedback.

Is there any developmentin this matter…