TEAC NT-505 Roon Ready?

Looking forward to have the Roon support on NT505

I am using the TEAC NT-505 DAC and it appears to be ROON certified based on the fact I am using ROON with it and once I loaded the ROON program it immediately saw both my NAS drive and the TEAC by name. I loaded the ROON APP on my tablet went to the music room and began to stream. No issues and I was streaming through the Network connection not a USB hooked up to my computer. The TEAC is a beautiful little DAC with a huge very musical sound. It has loads of features and sounds and interfaces with ROON perfectly.

Please post your signal path, and check whether it is using AirPlay, which is limited to 16/44.1.

My NT-505 arrived yesterday , and I can confirm it is not (yet) roonready.
It came with the latest firmware so MQA was already enabled.

Connected a Allo Digione to the coax input to drive it from Roon.

I am far from an experienced streamer so what I am posting is strictly from a noviceā€™s point of view. My TEAC connected with no coaxing. It is using AirPlay if that is an indication that it isnā€™t certified??? Can someone explain this?

I have not downloaded any high resolution files so I cannot say what the highest resolution will play through my TEAC when streaming from ROON however the FLAC files that I have ripped from my Redbook CDs are streaming as you would expect 44.1/16, which I am not sure if this is the limit a DAC can stream if it isnā€™t ROON certified or if uncertified DACs can stream at higher resolutions when playing high resolution files. Can someone also explain this to me?

A friend lent me his old MicroRendu so I am planning on trying it out as an end point and going through the USB port instead of the Network port as I am currently doing. I am curious if there will be a sound difference. I am also planning on picking up a few higher resolution MQA files to see how they play. I do know the TEAC is MQA certified with the new firmware update. This is clearly stated.

Yes it is confusing to figure out if the TEAC is indeed certified or not. My assumption that it is certified was based on a couple things. First, the Esoteric DACs are certified and TEAC falls within that family. Second, the installation was a breeze and ROON immediately recognized the TEAC DAC including the model.

Use of AirPlay indicates user misconfiguration or the device is not running Roon protocol known as RAAT (which is likely to be the case here).

You can use DSP Engine to upsample 16/44.1 music when it is certified in the future.

For native playback with TEAC app using network. Not for any other digital input like USB.

Not yet.

Only for N-01, not any other models yet.

Thank you so much for these clear responses. I have used the upsampling settings that TEAC has built in and do not feel that the differences are significant enough to be worth using. If anything I believe they make the music a bit brighter which to my ears is not an improvement.

Do you have any idea if TEAC has submitted their unit to ROON for certification review and it is just in line waiting to be reviewed or should one assume this is just a desire on TEACs part and that one day they may moved on it but not yet?

Certified or not, I am enjoying the TEAC and all its features which I believe make it a flexible DAC that has improved the sound of my system. I do look forward to the day that it is certified because I believe then that the two will work their best together but in the meantime ROON has been a real pleasure to use. I am rediscovering music I own that I had long ago forgotten about and now with the rediscovery it is bringing big smiles to my face.

Even without roon certification it is worth every euro I paid for it.

Just a few words about this network DAC. I have only spent a couple of days with it but it is already worth every penny paid for it. It has been a while since I used a truly ā€˜finishedā€™ product. Everything works immaculately. No clicks, clunks or buzzes. Muting between switching sources and filters, a small but informative display, fully Roon certified with proper MQA operation, both full decode and rendering. Its lack of analogue input would be my only gripe, but my phono stage is the PSA Nuwave Phono Converter so I can digitise my vinyl and push it through the Teac so a small neat solution is possible here. Lots of listening still to do but this is already a firm favourite in my setup.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be curious to compare the 505 to the Lumin D2. Iā€™ve read the D2 is a little more musical while the Teac is more detailed. I was hoping to get a T2, however, thereā€™s quite a price increase and I have a couple other projects going on as well. Plus, one dealer said the D2 will be such an upgrade to what I already have (Project s2 pre box attached with 3 long USB cables and a powered USB hub in the middle) that I will not even be worried about the difference between the T2 and D2. The Teac does have extra inputs

I do like the Teac. It took a while to bed in but it is a keeper. Possibly itā€™s best attribute is that even without Roon it is an excellent streamer that works with the Lumin app.

Thanks. The Teac looks like a nice unit.

I havenā€™t heard the Teac but can vouch for the amazingness of the D2. I had a D2 with an LFD amp already a year ago. Then sold those to get a Devialet Expert 140 Pro as I wanted to go down to one box only and the shiny Devialet seemed compelling. Long story short, Iā€™ve just bought another D2 and a newer LFD amp again. So much more fun and engaging. Plus the D2 just works without any problems. Best sounding and most solidly performing piece of audio equipment Iā€™ve ever owned.

3 Likes

TEAC NT-505 is ROON ready, so you donā€™t have to worry about that, what I donā€™t understand is the following
In the manual itā€™s written: USB input:
Type B USB input supports up to 32-bit/786kHz resolution for PCM; up to 22.5MHz for DSD.
Ethernet input supports up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution for WAV and FLAC; up to 5.6MHz for DSD
So this I donā€™t understand, so if you use this dac directly connected with USB on a laptop/computer you
can play DSD 512 and DXD files native? but when you connect this device with ethernet and use it as a ROON endpoint it can only playback 24bit 192 kHz? and DSD128? (no DXD, and no DSD256,512?)
Can somebody confirm or clarify this?

That is correct and normal.

It is common for a DAC to support different rates from different inputs. There are other network DAC that support different rates between network and USB. If Iā€™m not mistaken, PS Audio DirectStream with Bridge II and Mytek Brooklyn Bridge accept up to DSD128 from USB, and up to DSD64 from network.

So if I understand correctly, to make use of the full specs of this dac, I need
to connect it to a computer that has ā€œRoon Bridgeā€ installed (=Roon Endpoint)
and connect it with USB to the TEAC DAC?

Then I can control it with the Roon Remote installed on the tablet?

I have the DAC in question. It has very good USB implementation. You could certainly do what you suggest, but why buy a networked DAC if you donā€™t intend to use that functionality? The UD-505 will have better headphone support, and a line input. That said, with such a small amount of music around at the 512 rates the only real reason to need that capability is if you wish to up-sample.

I have ROON server running on my Synology NAS
and Iā€™m looking for a DAC than play DXD and DSD 256 audio files natively
currently Iā€™m using the HiFiBerry DAC+ but this DAC is limited to 192 kHz PCM only
I was hoping that I could connect this TEAC DAC to my setup, and that I could stream
DSD 256 files natively, but after some research I found out that this is not possible
without using a powerfull ROON endpoint with a USB connection connected to the TEAC
instead of connecting the TEAC DAC directly to my network

You donā€™t need a powerful Roon endpoint. What determines the rate is not power but the OS kernel and to a certain extent, hardware. So a Pi 4 would be great but a Pi 3 via USB may do a good job too. Personally I donā€™t believe the expense required to stream big DSD is really returned in sound quality. And for most of us the vast majority of what we listen to is CD resolution anyway. So all of that additional expense may be for a very small number of files.

Hi,
I have a question for TEAC NT 505 owners. Does this streaming DAC work stable with Roon? How is it compared to, for example, Lumin devices in terms of stability? Are there currently any problems with the NT 505 firmware and Roon? Is it possible to control the volume level of NT 505 directly from the Roon app (can you enable device volume control)?

I know that TEAC has until now been under the direction of ONKYO Corporation, which was recently bought by Sound United. But according to reports, the Onkyo takeover agreement does not apply to the TEAC brand. Does this mean that TEAC may be in trouble in the future and will stop releasing updates for its products?