Test tracks, the anti-SQ league

There’s a few well recorded, HQ test track threads. Often when I’m testing I’ll play tracks that are far from perfect, it’s supposed to be a test right? Why play to its strengths?

Here’s an example I’d like to see anyone else’s.

For a supergroup the recording is far from stellar but it’s a bunch of voices I know well. Making them out isn’t always straightforward. It also demonstrates why mere mortals should avoid allowing their voices to be placed in direct comparison to the pure reference instrument that is Roy Orbinson’s voice.

4 Likes

If on a test I find that known voices are the best (a bit hard for me as I do not listen to so much music with vocals). But in the last years I follow Lynn Adib and I did listen so much that I think it is the most familiar voice for me (it is so familiar that I can listen to vocal jazz that normally makes me beg for it to stop).

2 Likes

You can’t understand Yin without knowing Yang

3 Likes

Summertime……….

3 Likes

Great voices on mediocre recordings? Margo Timmins would have deserved better on the 1st CJ album. However, can’t hide a great voice even like this.

3 Likes

I use Cross the Breeze by Sonic Youth to see how a system gets on.

2 Likes

Ahhh, they sorted that for the next outing though, no? The Trinity Sessions is an excellent recording resulting from an idiosyncratic recording process. Will give your suggestion a go.

@CrystalGipsy, great choice of album for this kind of thing :+1:

1 Like

They absolutely did, yes.

https://www.audiocheck.net/ seems to have a lot of test tones.

1 Like

I did remembered now a track with a strange sq that I do love (on my speakers sounds better then my headphones)
RoonShareImage-638123397186515030

2 Likes

Why woujd you listen to test tones.

Test tones and sweeps… I was curios when I start to hear sound and where it fades away

1 Like

:bat: :bat: :bat: ten chars :wink:

1 Like

Well, with test tones, you’re not listening to the music, you’re listening to the equipment. Less chance of distraction, better ability to concentrate on what you’re actually hearing, instead of what you’re remembering.

2 Likes

More chance of being judged by anyone else in your abode :smile:

1 Like

Depend on how resolving your hearing is. If you can’t hear a mouse fart at 200 yards you’re wasting your time any way.

2 Likes

I prefer it at 182.87 meters, just a tad closer.

2 Likes

At that shorter distance I’d back myself to identify the type of mouse…

2 Likes

Yeah, you might have to wait till everyone’s out. :grin:

1 Like

Yeah. And quite easy to tell if it’s a wet or dry one.

2 Likes