The ability to hide or disable songkick.com results

@danny, I like the geography driven/ tour link approach you are suggesting.

For all the switches i agree they are annoying typically. A solution used by other applications is skinning. Could be just Roon provided ones (clean, every little scrap, balanced) or even customizable skins.

1 Like

fwiw, I’ve really enjoyed seeing this info, even when there’s no conceivable way for me to attend. Saw The Family Stone played Glastonbury a few days ago, and looked up an online review. Cool. Also – Dwight Twilley’s playing Chicago in a couple of weeks!? Would I drive there & back from Virginia? Maybe!

Would have been oblivious to this except for Roon.

Yeah – it chews up some real estate, but even so I’d keep it turned on.

So long as Roon gives me the means to disable all external content, that will be sufficient.

I understand your philosophical assertion that concert dates (which are meaningless without ticket sales) are “just more information about the artist(s)”. But songkick.com does not exist for altruistic reasons. They are aggregating internet traffic to concert ticket sellers (Ticketmaster, Live Nation, et al). And when I purchased a subscription to Roon, I did not opt-in for songkick.com or any other entity to display advertisements on my Roon interface.

I’m looking for an “opt-out” of advertising, while acknowledging that we don’t agree that’s precisely what songkick.com is doing.

I hope this is clear.

Thanks again for your attention to this.

Again fwiw, I see it this way too – seeing a gig posted answers the basic & recurring question (for all my old-fart heroes)…“are they still alive? Still doin’ it? Cool…”

Well, I have to say that I rather like seeing the songkick data…I’m interested to know what’s coming up with the bands I like; I don’t do Facebook or twitter so it’s welcome info for me, not advertising.

Cheers

George

I think the issue is the links. Without the links it’s just data and you are naming the source. With links, it feels like an ad. Is it possible to use the info with out the hyperlinks?

The links are not as distracting as the red text: concerts by SONGKICK.COM

It is unsolicited advertising.

That red text is their logo… since we dont pay for their data, we felt it was important to attribute them properly, next to their data. Also, without it, it would be strange if we sent you to their site randomly when clicking on a concert.

Maybe we should make that logo smaller and less distracting.

Some vendors require attribution regardless of how much we pay, such as lyricfind attribution at the bottom of every lyrics popup :frowning:

We have so much external data … facebook makes money every time you go visit them for example via our facebook links and the big blue F.

Also, Twitter wont allow it, nor will Instagram, but I would have loved to have the feed on those sites of the artist in-app.

1 Like

I like the idea of twitter and instagram feeds and I don’t mind attribution. For me it is the links to buy something that feels like a line being crossed for a service I pay for.

To me this isn’t a big deal at all, and I actually like seeing concert dates and I personally have never thought it looked like advertising.

But, maybe a disable feature in settings for those who aren’t interested in concert dates.

ysh @fritzg, I hear you… @brian and I have been arguing about this all day, and it’s this “links to buy something” that he kept saying as well… the thing is, I see the data as valuable without clicking, and the attribution is just there to be fair.

I see the data as valuable, too. Can’t it be done without the links to their site and with a text attribution and not a logo? I think we all know where to buy concert tickets.

@danny, I see the links point of view now and think it’s a valid point. Can you not just have the Songkick.com as a logo to give the company the credit for creating the database but remove the link ability to their site? Just a thought.

no, of course not… they aren’t giving away their data for free!

http://www.songkick.com/developer/api-terms-of-use

alright… just thinking of a way please some people here. I don’t have a problem with how it is now actually!

@danny Well, if that is in their terms of use, I’d drop it or give users an opt out. I don’t want to see ads on an interface I am paying for. I expect it in google, but not in a product like Roon. If it is free, you’re the product. I don’t want to be the product, that is one reason I am willing to pay for such a service.

Another option is to bury this info a bit off the main screen, say have an “In Concert” link/logo and let that take the user to another page or a popup with the info, kinda like the lyrics.

1 Like

I like the button-approach quite a bit!

Later you could simply add another button for whosampled:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/whosampled-integration/2172

:smiley:

This discussion is the reason I purchased only a one year subscription vs. lifetime. If spam continues to proliferate on the Roon interface, I seriously doubt I will renew next year.

Roon users need a way to opt-out of unsolicited advertising now, before more ads and banners find their way into the interface under the guise of “rich media”.

@danny Personally, I enjoy seeing the concert information and think it adds to the product. It is one of those “oh cool” things when showing it to other people and do not think it should go away. Putting a hide button is a good resolution.

To @phm, we get what you think, you don’t need to keep it repeating over and over. However, I completely disagree with you.
The devs need to understand that not everyone thinks the same way as you do. I do not feel it qualifies as advertising; it is an attribution of where the data is originating. It is not an Ad nor is it a Banner. Nor is it, as you keep alluding, spam.

1 Like