The Audiophiliac does not love us

I have never heard of this guy. His ignorance and personal likes or dislikes are of no interest to me.

2 Likes

Years ago, I had a similar complaint about CDs. Although the sound was superior to LPs. the minuscule liner notes and cover art sucked. Although there was something to be said for pushing a button and having a tray slide out, the experience was a pale second to the whole turntable/stylus ritual.

What I don’t understand about Guttenberg’s confessional rant is - why. What’s the point? This voice in the wilderness attitude doesn’t make any sense or impact, except as fodder for forum outrage (I mean, discussion).

I guess it was just something he had to get off his bony chest.

4 Likes

He doesn’t love Roon. OoooKaaaay! I encounter them every day. It isn’t that big a deal really other than the fact he streams a message about his disdain for streaming! Had he shot it on 35mm in Panavision I might have been impressed with his commitment!

5 Likes

And reading the comments on YouTube reminds me why I really shouldn’t get sucked into reading the comments on YouTube. They only serve to stoke my misanthropy.

6 Likes

De gustibus non est disputandum!

1 Like

To me it’s not the fact that he doesn’t love Roon. People are entitled to their opinions. I was just struck by the fact that he took the time and effort to rant about something that he admits he has never used and has basically no idea of what it is. Sort of touting ignorance as a virtue.

8 Likes

It is all the rage now. Fake News!

1 Like

There is a perfect word for this behavior. Link here!

Your comparation is out of proportions. There is a category of people who know exactly what they want and who remain loyal to their needs regardless of the trends around them. For example, I never smoked, I never will. Smoking is not for me and I just know this without the need of ever trying. This makes me a radicalist??? (that’s the definition of your perfect word, according with your link)

Just having fun! :yum: Yup, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, just not their own facts! Pax vobiscum!

2 Likes

Well, what if maybe Steve was also just having fun!!! :joy:

1 Like

Lol. I have seen a number of his videos. He doesn’t like Active speakers. He doesn’t like Roon. He loves his flea power tubes and Zu Druid speakers (basically bass guitar eminence woofer in an audiophile box instead of a guitar cabinet and a tweeter thrown in on later models). He loves a terrible listening environment full of clutter and corners and nooks. He really is quite the eccentric. I think the way he uses the term “Audiophiliac” you can think of it interchangeably with “eccentric”. I think he represents the boutique audio industry very well but his advice is not useful for consumers as he really doesn’t have an opinion except that the best way to achieve audio nirvana (audio merry-go-round IMHO) is to churn your gear as much as possible by buying gear with good resale value so that you can easily resell after a few weeks/months. Kind of like a drunken walk or shopping for summer clothing in the fall…I guess audio to folks like him is like following fashion - always changing - could always do with another pair of headphones(shoes)!

I agree he has fun with it but he isn’t going in any forward direction despite 40 years of fiddling.

6 Likes

Ok, so for those who are not aware of who he is, he is a writer for CNET that gets him a fairly wide audience in the US at least. I occasionally like his reviews, tho I also occasionally think he misses things. If he is reviewing amps or speakers, I think he is worth reading, along with a lot of other reviewers. If you are into vinyl he probably is as well. But he doesn’t get streaming, so I won’t listen to him for that, like I wouldn’t listen to him about cars. For a reasonable voice on streaming, Darko is worth listening to as he does get it. As he gets that it isn’t for everyone.

2 Likes

'xactly …

1 Like

From the description of the guy further up in the thread, it sounds like he has missed a whole lot of things since the '80s!

Hilarious. If anyone is bored on a bus/train/Uber, and looking for a little chuckle, here’s a tiny sample of the comments section:

4 Likes

Funny, Steve is not a fan, but I am!

Yeah, because Roon will give you lung cancer and make your clothes and hair stink.

1 Like

Angry? Why? He admits he likes clutter? Do you like clutter? No? Hence, ROON!

19 Likes