The Best End Point?

http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=streamboxs2ultra&cat=s2-line&lang=en What do you think?

1 Like

@dabassgoesboomboom

You may have the best advice, yet.

The main reason I have recently been participating in this forum is to evaluate how much I can use Roon as a solution for my clients that appreciate it. I have personally been using Roon and I have some audiophile clients with nice systems that have been using it, and for someone who wants a rich user interface with lots of metadata and technical specifications on how the data is being steamed, not to mention the ability to transmit DSD files, Roon is an extremely good solution and one that I highly recommend.

It’s not for everyone. Most people don’t want/need more technical information, nor are they interested in high resolution files. This is where AirPlay and (sometimes) Sonos has its place. A properly setup AirPlay system with a iMac (server), iPads (Remote app) and some AirPort Express (AirPlay speakers) units can do a lot, and sound great with ALAC files…and it’s all native for Apple users…it just works.

This is why having both AirPlay and Roon on the same network platform is our first goal. This is why the End Point/Bridge is important. It needs to be able to do both, and now that the AirPort Express ($99) is being discontinued, it’s need to be affordable.

We use SOtM Ultra series for clients that have upscale systems. I like the Raspberry Pi solution because it’s flexible and affordable. I like the Allo hats and software. I’m also interested in Allo’s USB Bridge. Everyone keeps recommending the Pi, so for both my own interest and to see if it’s appropriate for my clients, we are diving in. We learned to build ROCK/NUCs and they have improved our systems and our client’s systems that use Roon. Maybe we can build our own End Point/Bridges…? We’ll see.

2 Likes

This is interesting.

I think we are going to see a lot of these types of devices in the near future. We’ve always had good experiences with Pro-Ject gear.

Nice! I love the Allo and RPi stuff too. I loved the USBridge so much that I sold my Rendu and pocketed some spare cash in the process.

My recommendation above is only if I put my ‘custom installs business’ HAT on (hehe pun intended) - I wouldn’t want end customers having to ssh to install and update their gear. The potential support issues could be a nightmare, compared to the Sonore and SOtM solutions and Bluesound turn key solutions.

I gave my old man (dad) my old ultraRendu to use. He lives in another state. There is no way I’d swap out the ultraRendu for a USBridge for his system - I don’t want those phone calls and TeamViewer sessions when something goes wrong :sob:

The Rendu is rock solid and reliable, and updating and operating is a breeze, even for him. So that’s happy days for me too :grin:

Of course things can go wrong with any solution but at least with the Rendu he doesn’t need to ssh into it to do anything.

Exactly, especially with Airplay 2 now. I believe the Bluesound gear (and others) will support Airplay 2. This allows people to use the native streaming service apps with muti room audio controlled from their iPhones and iPads. Nice and simple if they’re mostly happy with streaming, as most are these days.

I say all that as a happy lifetime Roon member. But for most people that are just interested in streaming and are happy with Apple Music and Spotify SQ, the setup I/we have is a bit over the top :grin:

1 Like

@dabassgoesboomboom

We are on the same page.

I don’t want/need my clients manually updating and messing with software. I need their system to work without any problems. AirPlay works perfectly for these people.

For audiophile clients, I can take care of them, and part of being an audiophile (for them and us) is the social and community interaction, so they require more support, but that’s part of their system requirements and the type of relationship they want to have with me. This is where I can play with new ideas and platforms, such as Roon.

Having an End Point/Bridge that can do both, seamlessly and easily, would be wonderful!

1 Like

Very nice indeed. You’re able to tackle each client’s different needs and what they’re comfortable with, case by case. That’s why they pay you the big bucks! :grin:

@In-Tone

Did you ever just try an old iPhone with CCK as endpoint ?

Thanks for the suggestion, but that’s not a solution that will work for us or our clients.

Can you explain ?

It’s much easier than a pi, cost less than an airport express, and gives SQ equal to MicroRendu.

@R1200CL

We need a fixed player that can work with both AirPlay and Roon. Our clients don’t want their phone hardwired to the house system to play music. It’s not the elegant, seamless solution we want to provide.

It’s a cool option, but it’s just not what we need.

Naim uniti atom

2 Likes

2nd that as I have one and a little biased. Best all in one around imo.

1 Like

You may be interested in this discussion about using the $35 Chromecast Audio as an endpoint.

I’m going to start with an Allo Sparky, Kali, Piano with the iFi iPower power supply. I’m going to run DietPi with Shairport and Roon Bridge.

Recommendations and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Not their phone. Just a old unused, maybe broke glass, iPhone connected by WiFi. But yes, you need to connect the usb cable from CCK to the DAC.

Have you actually tested the iPhone used like that ?

The Cromecast Audio will also work in the same way, if you demand spdif.
If SQ is acceptable cost only $35 to find out.

Nope, have not tested. Like I stated, cool idea, just not at all what we need.

We need a high quality, simple and repeatable solution that we can service and support as professionals.

Chromecast is pretty simple, but frankly eliminates the need for a professional.

2 Likes

And so does an iPod 6 or an iPhone 5s or newer :joy:
It even adds high quality…

If they are anything like the USBridge then expect a lot of service calls. Don’t think SBC is the way to go for stability and life/work balance but to each their own.

Does the Sparky cause troubles? Is the Raspberry Pi board more stable?

I’m curious…