The Coffee (and tea!) thread - and you thought audiophiles were finicky :-)

I’ve got a cold brew gadget, only used it once so far and didn;t get it quite right. Must persevere

Letit Mara 62 here - very good machine at a sensible price.
Eureka Mignon grinder - must be one of the most popular with Rancilio, but the Mignon grind adjustment is extremely accurate.

Get my coffee every 4 to 6 weeks from Square Mile Coffee.

Dunkin Donuts original grind, Mr. Coffee, filtered water for the win. Or if you prefer convenience, same coffee in K-cup form and Keurig Mini.

Whole leaf Assam or Darjeeling, some hot water, and a few minutes time. Easy peasy.

2 Likes

Same Eureka grinder :slight_smile: (in chrome).

6 Likes

Jus the basic Hario V60 stuff for me. Must say it’s quite a satisfying ritual though to make my own pot every morning:

6 Likes

Everyone should consider purchasing coffee from Dean’s Beans. Excellent fresh roasted coffee, great prices, and it is like the Bandcamp of coffee when it comes to helping growers and their communities. (I use my trusty Rancilio Rocky grinder)

3 Likes

That’s probably stretching things distance-wise… :smiley:

I get my coffee from a local ethical supplier only 7 miles away from me, here in the UK.

Wooden Hill Coffee

2 Likes

I’m a HasBean. In more ways than one some would say.

Steve Leighton in Stafford - cracking little business, also co-founder of Tamper Tantrum, coffee blog extraordinaire (and what a brilliant name)

I got my machines from Bella Barista as well and they now seem to offer them as their No. 1 combination. Really good value for a great brew.

I used to buy their coffee but find the Square Mile bends more interesting.

Most coffee sold these days in the UK is undrinkable rubbish. In London the places I made a point of going are Press in The Strand, Prufrock in Leather Lane and Carpo in Picadilly. Prufrock sell Square Mile and some other roasters, they do a nice breakfast but mainly do barista training.
https://www.prufrockcoffee.com/cafe-2/

I got this for Christmas from my son - interesting and useful.
41e EpWnf5L.SX378_BO1,204,203,200

1 Like

p.s. When record shopping in Berwick Street and Broadwick Street (3 or 4 good shops within 300m) I go here:

Fantastic Swedish bakery, open sandwiches and very good coffee. Best place to spend a few hours in the West End.

My favourite shop is:

1 Like

OK soderberg is on the list of places to visit next time I’m in London (not so often these days).

One of my favorite things at night, before bed, is to think: “I’m going to wake up in the morning and have coffee and it’s going to be great.” My 18-yo son shares the sentiment.

We have what you might consider a rather pedestrian machine, this Miele:

miele

We had one of their built-in wall units in our old house when we redid the kitchen. New house kitchen had no room for that, but this is a pretty good alternative. Makes absolutely wonderful coffee/espresso.

Used to roast my own beans with an air popper, and it worked great. Did it for a few years, but started to get tired of the mess and the smoke. Thankfully there are great local options for roasted whole beans in the neighborhood.

We – by far – prefer darker roast. I will say that I’m frustrated by all these new snobby coffee places opening up that have nothing darker than a medium-roast bean. And if you ask for a darker roast, they just roll their eyes at your uneducated neanderthal brain.

These lighter/medium roasts taste too vegetal/winey/sour to me. Much prefer the deeper smoky/chocolate notes of french/italian roasts. I’m sure I’m a heathen, but here we are.

4 Likes

Looks good - bookmarked for an order!

We like going to a Saturday matinee at Covent Garden and then a cup of tea at Marriage Freres. Problem is choosing from 2,300 teas.
https://www.mariagefreres.com/FR/adresses.html#uk

1 Like

Covid-19 stock

1 Like

So my first reaction (after :laughing:) was that they must go a bit stale by the time you get round to them all. Albeit I don’t know how many that’s for and how much you drink - maybe it’s a weekend’s stock!

It’s one of the reasons I use HasBean, their order processes are so reliable. I buy 4 bags to last me a month. Two thirds of the way down the last one and I re-order, knowing it will arrive a day / two days later depending if I order am or pm. Even with the lockdown they hit their normal delivery times.

I went a bit over the top, but Covid has not affected roasters, just deliveries are a day or two slower. These are 350g bags, they reseal extremely well and I normally buy 6 at a time. That’s normally a month when at my office but I’m drinking more now working from home.

I reorder when I’m on my last bag.

Not sure how you would get through all that…if my beans are 3 weeks past roast date that’s about EOL for me… im pulling about 21gms per basket split into 2 9oz cups normally once a day but sometimes 2-3 during this damn lock down situation…only another 4 weeks to go here in Singapore :mask: At least my roasters are still operational.

I’ve gone for convenience - Jura E8. Does a pretty decent espresso at the push of a button (basically).

2 Likes