The Harmony Codex - Steven Wilson

Has anyone had a chance to listen to this yet? The more I listen the more brilliant I realize it is. It’s like Steven’s Kid A.

3 Likes

Been played many times by many users in the Moving and Grooving thread.
Unfortunately the general consensus appears to be just a bit meh for most.
But glad you are digging it.

1 Like

I found I had to listen to it a lot for it to really click. One or two listens it’s a meh for sure. If you really digest the full thing over a week or two of analyzing it it’s a totally different feeling. It’s a really complex piece of music.

2 Likes

I “think” this will be one of those that start out as OK and turns into fantastic after many listen through’s. It’s a grower.

The SQ/recording is fantastic (no surprise). I wish artists would go to the lengths he does for the mixes he creates. Sometimes its jaw dropping with his library of music. IMHO of course.

3 Likes

I’ve listened to it over and over again on repeat since it came out. It finally started to click for me. It’s an album that needs to be processed to fully appreciate. Kind of like how Radiohead’s Kid A was panned on release and is now regarded as their finest work.

Unfortunately I rarely have the time or inclination to do repeat sessions like that especially with so much great other music to listen to.

I may have to try it again but usually if something doesn’t grab my attention pretty immediately I’m onto something else.

4 Likes

IME if that’s your modus operandi, you may be (read > you are :slight_smile: ) missing out on a ton of phenomenal music :wink: Yeah I get the time thing for sure, However, I can’t tell you how many times I thought “meh” only to realize one day a light bulb go on with a certain album and just be floored how good it is :man_shrugging: I don’t do constant repeats per se, it’s usually over time

I’m sure that’s happened to you, especially with vinyl > since digital is too easy to just click away etc… Anyway, the growers many times turn out to be favs :+1:

1 Like

I had to play this album over and over and over for day and once it clicked it’s absolutely amazing. The last song Staircase is incredible by the way. It just took a long time to understand what I was hearing.

2 Likes

This album reminds me of my experience when Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans was released. I kept playing it over and over and over with each playing revealing something new. Also as I play it from different streamers or daps it’s synergy changes. Although I do feel HCE is more emotionally connecting HC is a journey. Prog On

2 Likes

A reviewer described it as listening to a kaleidoscope.

1 Like

Staircase was the one tune that stood out after first run through. Now there are a couple more…I’m sure it will continue like this.

I dunno if it will be a jaw dropper like Raven, GFD, Hand Cannot…but will give it as much time as needed :slight_smile:

I’m giving it a listen today for the first time. I’m not a dyed in the wool SW fan and only really ever heard the three 2000s Porcupine Tree albums that crossed into the musical territory I enjoy (In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet) but I’m already enjoying this for its complexity and textures. The comparison with “Kid A” is entirely justified.
I suspect that, enjoying this first listen, this album will become a favourite.

4 Likes