The results from a "Focus on Storage Location" depend on which album in a group is Primary. Is this a bug?

I want to know which albums I have in my Qobuz library that are not in my local Music folder so that I know which albums I don’t own yet. I use the Focus function on Storage Location to select albums in my Qobuz Library and to deselect albums in my Music folder. I assume this would show me albums in Qobuz that are not in my Music folder.
This works only if the album version in the Music folder is configured as the primary in the album group.
For example, the album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is in my Qobuz library and in my Music folder. When the Music folder version is marked as Primary, the album does not appear in the filtered Album list, as I would expect. But If I make the Qobuz version primary, then the album appears in the filtered Album list.
I guess I could mark every Music folder album as Primary, but I don’t think Roon can do this all at once.

Can someone help me understand the logic here? Why does changing the Primary tag on albums in an album group change how Focus works?

Go to Settings > General and turn on the “Show hidden tracks and albums”. Then Focus will work for what you are trying to do.

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try but Focus behaves the same way after I enable “show hidden tracks and albums”.

Are you sure? It certainly works for me. Here’s an example: Pergolesi’s Stabat Mater, where I have both a local and a Qobuz version in my library.

Here’s my Album browser with “Show hidden tracks and albums” set to “No” (the default):

And here’s the Album page, showing the two versions (and with the local version set as Primary):

Now let’s Focus on albums in my library sourced from Qobuz:

Whoops, the Qobuz version doesn’t show up (as expected - because duplicates are being hidden). So Let’s turn the “Show hidden tracks and albums” to “Yes”, and repeat the Focus on Qobuz items:

…and there it is. And if I remove the Focus on Qobuz albums, then both the local and the Qobuz versions get displayed in the Album browser…

My Roon behaves just like yours (I mirrored your steps with an album that is in my Qobuz library and in my Music folder - “A Light for Attracting Attention” by The Smile.)

It all works as expected until I set the Qobuz version as primary. Now I see a result, which I think is wrong, because that album is in my Music folder and the Music focus is negated.

If this is how Focus is designed to work, the logic eludes me.

That second screenshot seems perfectly correct to me - it’s showing the Qobuz version of the album because you have Focus set to show (a) your Qobuz Library and (b) NOT your local Music folder, in other words, your Qobuz Library…

Tip: you don’t need to have both criteria used in your Focus :slightly_smiling_face:

I think you are getting confused by the term “Qobuz Library” - it means Qobuz items in your Roon Library; it does not mean items in the Qobuz streaming service.

It’s just struck me that what you are trying to do cannot be currently accomplished with Roon as it is currently designed. :slightly_frowning_face:

It is possible to produce a list of Qobuz albums that also have local versions in your library; however, it is not possible to produce the inverse of that.

Here’s the list of albums that I have with both local versions and Qobuz versions (just 10):

But the only other list I can produce is the total list of Qobuz albums (1751) in my library (which includes the above 10):

The “Duplicates” criterion cannot be negated (it once was in an early version of Roon, but this is no longer the case - perhaps your use case is the one where it would have been useful to have).

1 Like

It took me a while to get around Roon’s logic. I was looking to display just my local albums, which is fine as long as they are primary! An alternative is to create a tag for local and access from “Tags", but annoyingly scrolling is choppy on my iPad Pro when browsing through this route.

Well, that you can do (even if they are not Primary)…

Sounds like I’ve missed a trick unless you are referring to unhide albums, which doesn’t work for me generally.

Yup - unhide to get the full list as I wrote earlier.

There is a way to accomplish this, it’s around the houses but does work.

First show hidden albums. Then focus on duplicates. Select all of these then create and add a tag to them call them duplicates.

Now you can then clear focus leave show hidden albums on, select the new tag you just created and invert it, then add local storage and invert it. You will be left with just albums from Qobuz with no local copy. Obviously if you have different versions of some albums that are not grouped it might put it off a bit. But this is the only way I know of to achieve what you want.

3 Likes

Creating a duplicates tag was just what I needed. Thank you. What ever happened to inverting the Duplicates focus? Why did that go away?

1 Like

Don’t think it was ever a thing.

In the old Focus, you could invert the Duplicates, I believe. I think @Geoff_Coupe was just talking about this a few weeks ago in another thread.

How old we taking I can’t remember it been a user for 5 years but then the memory ain’t what it used to be.

AFAIR, it was there in the original design of the Focus user interface, which lasted up until the introduction of the revised design in version 1.8 in February 2021.

2 Likes