The solution to DB corruption

There are so many posts regarding corrupted databases, me included. This constitutes a crisis. How about some crisis management from Roon Leadership? More communication would be a good place too start!

1 Like

There has been a ton of communication on the matter, including the entire build 882 release. Have you seen build 882’s release notes?

As for corruption, it is not a crisis. We are talking about 0.03% of our total users.

2 Likes

.03 percent is only 75 users if anyone wonders.

My DB corruption solution is “almost” foolproof. 100 percent streaming from Tidal and Qobuz (for redundancy) with zero edits and (almost) no playlists. Works for me.

PS: But, I still back up every night.

1 Like

If its the same problem I posted I am afraid I am 1 of them and for me its a crisis. Lost 2.5 years of Roon history. Posted 3 weeks ago the problem but still solution or final answers.

1 Like

Yep, I am one of the unfortunate 0.3% impacted. I had originally read that it hurt 400 users but I’ve since read that it’s only 75 of us. So I guess it doesn’t constitute a crisis for Roon but it sure has my attention. Every day I see the dreaded “issue loading database” message and failed backup warnings. I very concerned that there may not be a solution as I have spent hundreds of hours over the last 2 plus years curating and grooming my collection. I’m patiently waiting to hear from support regarding the details I posted Dec 19. Shouldn’t there be a way to export the database to a delimited flat file, edit out the corruption and reimport it to a new database?

2 Likes

Here my 2 cents about this issue:
Opinion about the Roon DB corruption issue

5 Likes

Yes, I thought that was the case.
I have been backing up every 4-days to a NAS (with RAID1) keeping 10 on that volume. Then rsync these off to another backup NAS so I would have an extensive set of backups, in case the worst did happen, with the NUC hardware running ROCK. Even have a complete spare NUC.

No hardware failure but the worst did happen and all the backups taken are completely useless.

What’s worst, despite providing logs & requesting help, there was no feedback on the logs as to the reason, and no help provided.

2 Likes

It may not be considering a crisis by Roon, but I’m sorry “a customer is a customer” and we have been let down here, and left fending for ourselves.
When a company stops treating individuals as their customers, unless they have global dominant defendable market share in their space, they cannot afford to be arrogant with regard to how they treat individual customers, they will find that long standing customers will lose any brand/solution loyalty, are no longer advocates and stop advocating i.e. stop recommending and promoting their solution, and present no hesitation to switch when a better solution is available.

7 Likes

The attitude shown here, the endless time and half assed effort shown in the iOS crash issues leave no alternative than going towards Apple Music, bypassing Roon, as soon there is a solution.
Especially this embarrassing stand they take re the database corruption problem is mind boggling. They effing knew it. They were notified about EXACTLY this possible outcome and the moronic process to backup unchecked data months ago. This is not a serious company.

1 Like

They did know, and they have fixed it … going forward at least. I’m not defending Roon - I’ve posted numerous comments over the last twelve months regarding the issue of latent database corruption - but at least this is now a historical problem rather than an ongoing one. That said, for those people left high and dry with no viable backup, Roon really needs to do something more constructive than just telling them to start over.

5 Likes

Sometime the DB is corrupted beyond repair. It is dramatic for those affected, but it is however reality. Roon can not magically fix all of these databases (I would assume that some parts are repairable, but not all).

Point taken. But as a reality check: Many of these longtime corrupted databases worked ok-ish up to 880. Hard to explain why a) there wasn’t a proper warning or a pre-check, more importantly b) it should be possible to create an export option if these worked as their level of health obviously was good enough to serve in earlier than 880 releases. That all does not add up.

7 Likes

Corrupted databases will of course work until you try to access some of the corrupted parts. To avoid issues Roon has done the correct choice; ensure to check for corruption. To clean up this (even though it is annoying if you have a corrupted database); they refuse to accept corrupted database anymore. They validate the database pre taking backup as well now. So this is only a temporary issue until it is all fixed. This is a good thing!

Long term it will increase stability and improve user experience.

2 Likes

Would it be so difficult for Roon to lash up a version of Roon without the rigorous db checking, let the affected customers use it to recover, albeit manually and tediously, as much information as possible, and then switch back to the current version. My memory of computer disasters that made it necessary to ask people to re-enter a days work was that it was much quicker to re-enter a days work than you thought,

1 Like

Nothing to complain I fully agree. But simply not my point. As these databases were accessible for the most part AND the screw up is fully owned by Roon, it would’ve been fair to reach out to those affected.
Either by some financial compensation, better by a tool to export the intact part of the data. Simply brushing them off by telling them to start from scratch is appalling.

6 Likes

I think this update should have been done in two stages: the first stage with warnings of what’s happening and a chance to correct it, the second stage full implementation with a “you have been warned”. What did we get? “Honey, Roon ate my database!”. Of course there will be some anger.

2 Likes

I just want to say if had lost my music, I would be really bummed, particularly over a big holiday. I hope this community stands with you, and I wish each person who is rebuilding their system the best.

3 Likes

very nice piece Alex

2 Likes

Thanks @Robert_Crawford !
I also got personal messages of people saying that my statement was unfair and that I overreacted. I think it’s easy to argue in this direction, when you are not affected of that issue. In general, I stand by my opinion. The whole data inconsistency/database corruption topic has been handled really poorly by Roon. I also find it strange that Roon doesn’t offer proper support for paying users, but only through this forum like a support community for open source software. The problem is that it is proprietary code and users can only help each other to a limited extent. Why isn’t there a service ticket that is properly handled like other commercial software products? It is pure arbitrariness whether Roon employees respond to a support request and that too only sporadically.

9 Likes

That is not quite correct.

If you visit the Roon website homepage there is a contact option on it.