The system won't play

Played more with my non-working Roon. The behaviour is not quite consistent.

On pressing Play, the music bars move up and down, and sometimes the timeline stays locked on zero. But other times, and more often today than before, the timeline begins to advance. In this phase, the stream shows as good. Some background noise and occasional switch-like click is heard from the speakers. Inevitably, after ten or fifteen seconds, the timeline stops, and shortly afterwards the signal chain disappears.

Occasionally, music does actually play for a few seconds.

Although I have said that there was no system change when this problem began, I now realise it is possible Windows installed an update: there have been a few recently and I havenā€™t noted just when they came in. But Spotify works fine on the same network, from the same computer. Online radio works on the same network.

On Monday I have to choose whether to subscribe to TIDAL, and on Wednesday to ROON. I cannot use TIDAL without ROON, so there are only a few days in which to solve this problem. I will have to seek an alternative streaming option if this is not quickly solved, or put up with lower quality from Spotify.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œLouise_Proctor, post:21, topic:7338ā€]
On Monday I have to choose whether to subscribe to TIDAL, and on Wednesday to ROON
[/quote]Iā€™m sure @Mike will be happy to extend your Trial of Roon and offer support in order to get you up and running.

I want to succeed with ROON because it potentially offers a quality of music I couldnā€™t otherwise achieve. But in four days, the only suggestions Iā€™ve had are to use lesser connection protocols, none of which I can actually implement. Is there no way of using a diagnostic process to see what has gone with the networking? It seems very hit-and-miss at the moment.

I just sent you a PM @Louise_Proctor ā€“ give it a look and weā€™ll figure this out.

Thanks!

I tried ROON a few months ago. It worked for a few weeks, then stopped. At the time, you were unable to offer any troubleshooting. I couldnā€™t do any, because Roon is a black box: it doesnā€™t show up anywhere as a network resource on the system. Recently I tried Roon 1.2, and the same happened. Worked for a couple of weeks, then stopped.

From Roon it appears to find the network, but the time count remains at zero while the music ars go up and down. It doesnā€™t switch the AVR on, as it should, but it doesnā€™t deliver a network stream.

@Louise_Proctor, Iā€™ve moved your new post into here so all the history is in place.

I can see that @mike PMed you last time, so it probable best if he follows up on this.

Hi @Louise_Proctor ā€“ sorry youā€™re still having some problems here. Is this still your setup, or has anything changed? How are you streaming to the Marantz (or whatever the current output is) ā€“ is it still Airplay?

When this happens:

Is there an error? Does the timing eventually tick up? What happens with other audio outputs?

In your receivers network set up, do you have a manual IP set or DHCP?
A manual IP set up on Marantz/Denon receivers usually results in Airplay failing after a random length of time.

DHCP. Marantz renderer is working fine with UPnP network stream from Linn Kazoo / Bubble.

Damn. I know I keep harping about Airplay being the problem, that is my experience with these brands though. For my Denon receiver, ensuring that DHCP is used to acquire an IP address and that I set my router to reserve the IP address given via MAC tagging is the only way I can get Airplay to work with Roon. Other protocols work regardless for me too.

I should let you answer Mikeā€™s questions above though about your current set up so he can really help.

Mike,

The set up is the same. It never picks up. I donā€™t know about other audio outputs, I have nothing else set up.

Hey @Louise_Proctor ā€“ so youā€™re trying to use Airplay to the Marantz, correct?

Does Airplay work with the Marantz from other devices or apps, or have you only tried with Roon?

Does Roon work as expected to other outputs, such as the Windows System Output?

Can you give me a little more information about your network? I know you said wireless isnā€™t involved, but an overview of the networking equipment and how everything is connected would be helpful here.

Hi, Mike,

Iā€™m currently using Linn Kazoo and Bubble UpnP to stream via network cable to the Marantz SR6009. Whether this is AirPlay or not, I have no idea, thereā€™s no wifi involved. Roon I assume uses a similar network protocol, and has worked. The computer, Windows 7 desktop, is connected to a 100mb switch, which is connected to the home modem router. A further cable from the switch runs to the Marantz.