The TRUTH Why Modern Music Is Awful

That’s true but it’s easy to read between the lines and get the drift of it. Surely everything doesn’t need to be spelt out in exact terms? :joy:

Well, reading most answers I would incline to think that the discussion would have really been more focused, had the initial statement been stated more accurately in the first place.

Instead of having many claiming that there IS effectively good music to be found today, or that there there WAS yesterday, more of the discussions would have been on the interesting topic of understanding exactly WHY the commercial stuff has essentially got worse, decade after decade, as summarized by the “keynote” video.

2 Likes

I managed to get to two minutes before the pointless and annoying background muzak started to get really annoying. Perhaps he should make his next video about modern documentary/TV/radio production techniques and why directors feel the need to clog up the background with muzak that serves no purpose.

2 Likes

I was born in the early 50s so I was able to listen to the shift from pop standards in the late 50s to the beginnings of rock ‘n’ roll in the 60s. I love the music of the 60s more than any other decade but clearly (IMHO) it’s because it was a seminal growth period in my life. One of the reasons I love Roon is the ability to discover all kinds of music that I couldn’t discover in my youth, since DJs at local radio stations were directing my listening habits. And speaking of the terrific music in the 60s, I love a scene from the movie “The Limey,” featuring Peter Fonda as record executive Terry Valentine, who said this to a young woman when trying to explain the allure of the 60s:

Terry Valentine: Did you ever dream about a place you never really recall being to before? A place that maybe only exists in your imagination? Some place far away, half remembered when you wake up. When you were there, though, you knew the language. You knew your way around. That was the sixties.

[pause]

Terry Valentine: No. It wasn’t that either. It was just '66 and early '67. That’s all there was.

Here’s a link to a YouTube clip of that sequence. Fabulous!

1 Like