The Uses of Tagging

If I do the same search more than 5 times I do save that as a tag

I tag every track by mood (rocking, mellow, chill out) and by rating (1 to 5 stars). This takes some effort, but it pays off I because can use Focus to set up bookmarks (e.g., mellow blues 4 stars+). I probably listen 60/40 bookmarks vs. individual albums.

I also tag by genre if Roon’s default genres don’t quite work for me; for example, my idea of jazz rock and ambient are pretty idiosyncratic.

I also tag artists by country, allowing me to set up bookmarks by country (e.g., British pop/rock).

2 Likes

Very nice setup, thanks for sharing

As a tag or a bookmark?

FYI you can edit Roon’s genres and add your own genre to an album, no need to use a tag.

Yeah, but finding a sub-genre again from Genres in the side bar or from Focus takes a major drilling operation without support from search or filter

This is the beauty of using a bookmark to capture Focus results for re-use.

True, but it would be more beautiful if genres had filters :slight_smile:
Anyway, at that point whether one uses a tag or a bookmarked genre becomes rather immaterial. Roon’s very basic, flat, and also non-searchable bookmark list (which must be sorted on each remote separately) isn’t great for storing large numbers of bookmarks either

2 Likes

I wish it were different, but yeah it sucks that every remote has to be hand-curated individually. It reminds me of re-ordering box set files, clicking the arrows for hours.

1 Like

Don’t make it a sub-genre, make it a top-level genre.

That removes the whole point of hierarchical genres. Something like Austrian Punk is semantically a sub-genre of Punk, which is a sub-genre of Pop/Rock.

By using hierarchical genres it is therefore included when choosing Punk or Pop/Rock, even if an album tagged Austrian Punk is not separately tagged Punk or Pop/Rock

This is ruined by making Austrian Punk a top-level genre.

1 Like

Hi there,
How can we do that?
Thanks

save the results as a tag. bookmarks I use just to save artists, genres pages.

So far I used tags primarily to identify the source I.e. recommended by a certain person or found on a specific list/magazine, my OCD gets great satisfaction in knowing I have the whole list of e.g. yearly Gramophone awards available and ready to be listened to!
I then have specific functional tags like:

• Albums I am particularly interested in listening to but haven’t yet
  • Christmas music or other special occasions
  • favorite high quality tracks I use to test equipment
    Essentially everything that is specific to me and how I might want to find that music in the future, as opposed to “absolute” characteristics of the music that should be tracked in the metadata
2 Likes

I am glad that this Tags topic was created. Roon has so much to offer and I guess I get in a rut using Roon a certain way.

With this topic I decided to play one of my Tags which by way as you know is a shuffle play and I am getting songs that I have not either heard in a long time or never had heard them at all. :+1:

Good one…

–MD

feeling the same

2 Likes

Pick an album, edit the album, go to genres and type in a new name, then save. You can then reuse that name for other albums.

1 Like

Late to the discussion. But it’s a good one!!

I too have used Roon more superficially than not. I haven’t delved into it’s not-so-obivous capabilities such as in this tagging conversation.

In particular, I’ve used the more obvious Playlist feature to capture say female vocalists, when tagging would have been more elegant.

For instance, I created an Easy Listening (mainly female) Playlist. Doing this for lots of different situations, clutters the Playlist section, making it more difficult to find a particular Playlist. The other ways to do such things as described herein are definitely interesting and appreciated!