➡️ The Vinyl Bar (Yes, we’re open) [2022-03]

Love the way the dust cover integrates with the LP!

The Japanese certainly knew how to design stuff I agree!

Yeah. Here in Oz, RSD is a thing.

As with the rest of the world it has been a challenge for the last couple of years.

I couldn’t make a participating record store on the day as I was up in wine country for the weekend, but I was broadly aware of what was on offer due to mailing lists I’m on. Not much has really grabbed my attention this time round though.

2 Likes

Courtesy of a friend who belongs to Tipitina’s Record Club. Amazing playing by Booker from 1978. Nice blue vinyl with a very clean surface.

3 Likes

Analog Bonnie:

3 Likes

Two examples why one should always audition stream a contemplated LP purchase.

Chet Baker can’t sing. He couldn’t carry a tune when he was younger and he sure can’t do it with 58 year old pipes. Side One, where there’s no vocals, is ok albeit half-hearted. Side Two is completely ruined by Baker’s semi-comatose attempts at crooning. What a waste of clear vinyl; probably never bother to cue it up again. F*ck.

Man, I hate Live albums. It’s either extended clapping sessions after every bit, catcalls from the crowd, or (in this case) “tuberculosis old men at the nelson wheeze and cough” who seem to inevitably sit next to one of the mics. Oddly, it isn’t as obnoxious on Qobuz as it is on vinyl, where it’s like having someone with a terminal lung disease sitting on one’s couch. Too bad, because otherwise the sonics are top shelf. F*ck.

2 Likes

On a lighter note, I only have the CD of this wonderful recording so while I can hear that rude SOB coughing, I cannot identify exactly where he was sitting. Now if I had a full analog vinyl version of the recording then I would be able to tell exactly where the cougher was sitting with respect to the stage and the microphones. :laughing:

1 Like

Exactly, leave the room and give everyone, including the recording engineer, a break.

Seems that could be erased during the mix. Even 1 sec of silence would be better.

BTW - Without out googling, do you know the reference to 'the nelson wheeze and cough"?

Haven’t a clue, I just thought it was another one of those British expressions we Americans don’t know. Care to enlighten me?

Thanks, but I’m American. The very idea! :laughing:

“Small Change (Got Rained On with His Own .38)” - Tom Waits

Dare I look for it using Roon’s “search” function? In quotes because a real search function would actually work.

Well I did try using Roon’s “search” function and of course it didn’t work because it almost never works!!! I mean “Small Change” is not only the name of the Tom Waits album, it is also the name of the track on the album. The album is in my library and Roon failed to find it. The Roon search function is not just badly broken but it’s an embarrassment. Shameful.

1 Like

Ok enough ranting, back on topic. Wait, can we be on topic in an Off Topic thread?
Mastered by another of the mastering gods, Bernie Grundman.

6 Likes

Weird. My Roon search found the album, which is in my library, and the track. It also found the track on a compilation album which isn’t in my library, but is on Qobuz.

That’s the real problem with Roon Search, in that it’s unpredictable.

Yes, back to vinyl.

2 Likes

This is one of the best sounding records in my collection.

2 Likes

One of their best albums.

Remember when there was lots information about the recording and it was actually large enough to read and you didn’t need a computer to read it, you just held it in your hand?

3 Likes

New, been playing this over and over today. Haven’t made to Side Two, yet.

2 Likes

Hey don’t wear out those grooves. :laughing:

Is there ever a bad time to play some classic Bowie. Great packaging for the Lodger album.

And here’s the vinyl on the LP12

6 Likes

First time I cued this up. Can’t get off Side One, yet.

3 Likes

The lovely Linda Ronstadt:

And who could ever forget the Aphex Aural Exciter, not to mention the great Bernie Grundman:

4 Likes