➡️ The Vinyl Bar (Yes, we’re open) [2022-03]

My wife is totally behind me on my efforts to get a new deck, however the deck I’m referring to is a new deck for our rear yard. :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh yes, my wife has made similar comments :joy:
Glad to know I am not alone :+1:t2:

1 Like

Let’s put things in context:

New PVC outside deck, approximately $22,000

New top of the line Linn deck, aka turntable, approximately $30,000

So I guess that your wife as a point.

1 Like

Felt it was only right to own this on vinyl. Nick Saloman (Bevis Frond) was also running a vinyl shop until end of May 2022.

“Well, folks, that’s that. I closed the doors for the final time yesterday after a fantastic last day. My lovely daughter Deb sang her heart out for the assembled multitude, and everything went swimmingly. I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all the lovely vinyl heads who have visited the shop, bought records, sold records, swapped records, or just popped in for a brief visit. It’s been a brilliant ride. I’ve met a lot of great people via Platform One, many with whom I’m sure I’ll keep in touch. So, once again, thanks for everything. Let me just add that the shop is not disappearing, the good Alex Stallybrass will be taking it over, and it will continue as a second hand vinyl emporium, re-opening as ‘Platform Two’ at the end of July. Cheers, Nick”

Bevis Frond – FIRE RECORDS

4 Likes

Have a good weekend everyone!

5 Likes

Lovely Uli! One of my very first LP purchases, and it has been spun hundreds of times. And still today it sounds absolutely spectacular!

1 Like

…yes, it does. And as a drummer I have to say „That Stewart Copeland snare sound simply has it all“…

2 Likes

A fantastic sounding golden oldie from my college days.

5 Likes

I didn’t know whether to post this message on this thread or on the headphone thread but I think it’s more about vinyl than about headphones. Here goes.

Well I finally found a way to listen to my vinyl on headphones. Today I picked up my old Headroom Desktop Amp from a friend that I had loaned it to. Rather than try and sell it (and get pennies on the dollar for it) I figured that I would add it to my main stereo setup. Tape out from the preamp into one of the Headroom’s analog inputs and now I have a way to listen to vinyl using headphones and of course the signal chain is 100% analog. Color me happy! :headphones: :grin:

6 Likes

Cover art by the very talented Christine McVie.
Wonderful sound whether played through my Vandersteen speakers or my “new” headphone vinyl listening station.

7 Likes

An example of what we miss with the front cover only CDs. Many of the Ohio Players album covers are much better when fully opened, for example.

3 Likes

IKEA Obegränsad, fresh off the press!

Sounding better than it’s weight and appearance suggests!

4 Likes

Nice Mikael
Did you actually buy one, given the decks you already own :laughing:

Worth it as a stop gap for someone wanting to get back into vinyl?

3 Likes

To be honest, you do get a fresh needle, reasonable speed control, a decent RIAA so i’d say it’s a safe bet. That said, i would go for a used Thorens/Dual/Technics/Rega/Project etc. if you feel confident in buying used kit!
But really do feel the Obegränsad sounds pretty decent!

1 Like

Thanks Mikael was thinking of a visit to IKEA next month when they should be in stock, it will really wind the wife up :rofl: (All depends on them having stock in my area)

I have looked at them all and made a list (mostly way more expensive TBH), I have been playing some physical CD’s for the last three months, but with all the streaming available it might make up 5% of music listening and I have to think about it, but I try to put at least one CD in the player a night now.

The Classic 80s synth and Goth would get a new lease of life on vinyl, having not been played in about 20 years :wink:

4 Likes

Looks cool and vinyl is vinyl.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Just - do - it! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Looks very cool Mikael! What is the connection? Looks like RCA, so I’m guessing it has a built-in phono pre-amp that can connect direct to an amp?

1 Like

Love this album.

3 Likes