The Who's Tommy Composition - playing as one long track when using shuffle

When shuffling songs I keep having Tommy, a rock opera picked as one 2 hour song with 42 parts. While I do like listening to the whole album through one every few years, so I like the fact that I can do that with the composition metadata field, but I really don’t want to hear it overtime I shuffle classic rock (and Roon must love Tommy because it plays it almost every time even though it’s not a favorite).

Anyway, my question to the Roon community is has anyone figured out a way to have shuffle skip playing the composition part of albums like Tommy?

3 Likes

Yes that is also one of my problems. Roon in radio mode plays all the parts even if they are separate tracks. How can you choose to play just that track?

1 Like

Yes, ‘Tommy’ and other albums such as the ‘Mission’ soundtrack (and most classical albums) are irritating that you suddenly have to get hands on - if you’re in random mode - to avoid listening to the whole album. And its irritating on several levels. Irritating that I’m getting irritated by an album that is one of my favourites and irritating that I never hear a Tommy track included in Random play and just plain irritating that I can’t listen to my music the way I choose to.

(Also, I imagine THE WALL, sitting over there in the corner sulking about why it’s not a ‘Work’ and how stupid people are allowed to randomly play tracks off it. Don’t change it!)

1 Like

What’s happening here is that our metadata providers consider the whole album to be a single multi-part work, which Roon largely handles in the same way as tracks.

The idea is that if you are shuffling classical music, you want to hear a random selection of compositions (ie Beethoven’s 5th followed by Barber’s Adagio for Strings ) as opposed to haphazardly shuffling the various movements because that’s how they’re split up on the CD.

Generally speaking this works pretty well for classical music, but obviously it works less well when the entire Tommy album is considered to be a single composition. :frowning:

We’re aware of this issue guys, and we are working on implementing editing for compositions soon.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, I’ll keep an eye out for the new option in a future release.

ok looking forward to this feature to be implemented soon.
thanks

There is a live orchestral/opera version of Quadrophenia with the same issue, as well as an Air album that plays through the same way as well.

Any progress on this?
I hit this all the time

2 Likes

Real soon :wink:

1 Like

Love to hear that thanks Mike.

Mike

Does the upcoming fix also include the same song that’s being grouped together as parts (example below)?

1 Like

That’s probably the way Pete would’ve preferred it.

1 Like

This looks like multiple files in the same folder?

Once the changes ship, if you disable grouping for that album, you’ll just see the same track 3 times in a row as opposed to being grouped together.

Mike

Thanks for the quick reply.

Where exactly do I disable grouping. I had a look in the edit area, but couldn’t seem to find it. Also once they are ungropued wouldn’t I then have the choice of only seeing the best quality song, i.e. under the ‘Other Versions’ tab.

I could go through and delete the multiples tracks, but I have multiple examples of this it would take a long… time.

Cheers
John

In our next release :wink:

4 Likes

OK, doh!!! :crazy_face:

1 Like