Thinking about canceling Roon and Tidal... can you help?

No winders, Qobuz does not do everything that I want. There are many many features and functions that Roon provides that Qobuz does not. However, if you read my previous post, I explained that Roon does not provide some very primitive functions. It does not provide any access to your music and playlists when you get out of your home. Period.

[Moderated]

The point I think is that Roon has never had and currently, does not have, a mobile option. Are the devs thinking about a mobile option, yes. Working on it, probably. When, no one knows.

So, if mobile use is a “must have” then come back and check Roon out when that option is available. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you Rugby. Yes I would definitely come back to Roon once it has mobile capabilities. It’s an exceptional service now and would be amazing once it goes mobile.

1 Like

I do. No Tidal and no Qobuz (or Spotify etc…), just local files in CD rez and up. I’ve got a Samsung Note8. Nice phone, but I have no music on it. I guess I am a dinosaur…

2 Likes

I don’t think you’re a dinosaur. You’re probably quite innovative in multiple areas… there may be a number of places where you could teach me a thing or two… but… idk you may be “kinda of old school” when it comes to music. Idk.

The interesting point is that a number of the Room features and time spent on building out Roon are of little to no value to you: Tidal integration for example. Another interesting point is— Roon is likely a mature product for you, ie, it has 90% of the features you want already in the product.

So Roon has your money. How do they get my money, though? If they want it.

I was ready to buy with the hope of mobile coming in the future.

• Then I had a business trip come up. No need to buy now cause I won’t be able to use it.
  • Then another business trip.
  • Currently, I’m in a totally different locale than home and so I’ll wait until summer to decide on Roon cause ik I’ll be settled at home then.

Of course I’ll have like 4 months w/o Roon so I’ll ask myself— do you really need it??

From one month to the next you seem to have different answers. If all you are going to do is complain that mobile access is not available, there really isn’t a reason to post it over and over and over again. You know that mobile access won’t be available for a long while. So, if that is really important to you and is the make or break straw, the answer is no, you don’t need it and we don’t need to hear more complaints about mobile access not being available.

2 Likes

You’re right. I do change my mind from month to month. It’s my prerogative 2do it. Furthermore, I haven’t posted in weeks … maybe months… then I received an email from Roon saying someone quoted me. That’s y I returned.

But honestly U come across as some Roon cop or “self appointed” governor who doesn’t like that people want something that Roon doesn’t offer. Maybe it’s time to offer bc people like me want it. If you’re fine w Roon just the way it is then b happy. I can’t imagine what type of pleasure u derive from jumping into these types of posts.

I am clear: I ain’t changing my mind that Roon needs mobile access. It seems u ain’t changing your mind that Roon is fine without it. Y then are we talking?? I ain’t changing my mind and u ain’t changing your mind. Let it go.

I will not post again on Roon unless someone quotes me or I decide to buy Roon.

You buy a product for what it does today, and today Roon is not mobile. Who knows, one day it will be and if that’s what you want and need, buy Roon then.
I am a happy home user and don’t need mobile, but I won’t complain if they deliver it as it will improve Roon’s appeal significantly.

1 Like

Chiming in on the mobile thing…

Roon should have mobile access. That would be an excellent feature.

It’s also a feature I would never use so I hope it’s way way way way towards the bottom of the feature list. Why would I never use it?

1. I’m happy using the mobile versions/apps of my streaming services directly.
  2. When I don’t want to stream it’s usually because I cannot. Many times when I’m mobile I am in places where I do not have decent data access and/or I don’t want to burn my data. I plan ahead and have music stored locally either with files on SD card or cached for offline play from a streaming service.
  3. I am really not interested in burning data through my home network just to access the same music I have on my SD card and/or can be pulled directly from the streaming service. Why move bits twice?
  4. If I really wanted/needed Roon when mobile there are VPN solutions that do this so there are already workarounds.

You know where I would use Roon mobile? To show my friends “Hey, look how neat this is?” and then 30 seconds later I’d not be using Roon remote.

Again, I think Roon mobile is a great feature but I really do hope it is very low priority. There are a ton of other things Roon should be working on (my opinion) and I hope they are. When I’m away from my home there are, actually, better ways for me to access music.

3 Likes

I am with you. I hope Roon adds mobile support even though I would probably not use it.

Having said that, Roon does not do mobile today and does not promise to add that feature any time soon or even ever. So people complaining about it and coming here saying they will cancel their accounts if Roon does not add the feature are doubling annoying.

1 Like

Roon to Go is on the radar, but at sometime in the future. The benefits to Roon would be more subscribers, but until then its a home based program. The repeated complaint posts wont make it go mobile any faster either.

1 Like

While this mobile thing is well commented in its own threads - some mobile phone companies (cell services) bundle Spotify and or Tidal streaming data as free data ie non metered (as they do in my country if you sign up with S/T as part of your plan - Singapore) so If Roon included it as a mobile option I wonder if it would be streamed via the tidal ports/source locations or via the Roon Core (VPN esq) and thus would incur significant data cost.

I use Tidal as a mobile plan with free Tidal data included. My wife has Spotify with the same…between us we have a cheaper (slightly) T/S monthly subscription and no data charges for each…so we can chose when we are in the car what to play/stream on our phones paired to the car sound system - even when traveling out of the county.

While I would love Roon when I am in a hotel or staying where I have better listening arrangements (actually I run a core on my laptop with a portable 2TB HDD of music when I really want to have some of my own library with me), mobile on the move uses for me would be limited - I can store enough of my own music on my devices for a days worth of music - maybe a weeks worth even.

So yeah I want Roon remote mobile but not walkabout streaming of it.

I’m a lifer for several years now. Roon has increased in options and capability value since I signed up - based on what it could do when I committed so I am very happy. If it didnt for you then you had every opportunity to cancel in the first 30 days or never sign up in the first place.

1 Like

You said it all …

All I can add is that wherever people live their data costs for 3G etc must be a sight cheaper than mine in South Africa . I have a 3gig package for about $20 at FLAC streaming say 3 albums a gig that’s about $2 an
album

SD cards are a lot cheaper for me

1 Like

Unlimited data - 20GBP/month
http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

Cell data is nowhere near that cheap here. Hotel room Roon maybe an option, GSM roaming Roon definitely not. I’m fine with leaving Roon at home. But then I’m old school, I buy music, and stick it on hard drives.

Wow, how times have changed if that is old school!

2 Likes

It sounds cooler than saying “I have different circumstances.”

maybe ineed the exercise winding up the gramophone😁

22 posts were split to a new topic: Roon needs to relax their demand full integration of music services

This topic was automatically closed after 9 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.