Thinking of Roon Lifetime ? Read this

Danny has posted about potential end of lifetime or price increase before the end of 2020:

After the previous price increase a number of users regretted not buying lifetime earlier. This time we’ve got a heads up.

It would be natural for a change like this to be made at the time of a new feature release, meaning there is unlikely to be any better information about timing.

12 Likes

Some people will still grumble because that’s what some people like to do.

He’s said similar, 3 years ago:

Well, maybe I’m being fooled by salesmanship, but I just went and upgraded to Lifetime. I was seriously considering it anyway, this was just the nudge that finally convinced me.

If this turns out to just be a rumor or salesmanship, I don’t think I’ll feel upset. Just one less thing to worry about.

Now I have to concentrate on living long enough to get my money’s worth…

36 Likes
7 Likes

Well if prices are going up chance of competition will increase

1 Like

Whether or not Roon decides to either cancel ‘lifetime’ or increase subscription rates, it is already the most expensive music streaming software on the market. Over and above its current cost, Roon is niche software. It most certainly isn’t required to stream music, nor is it required to stream music to various ‘endpoints’ or even play internet radio.

I think Roon ‘lifetime’ should still exist. It is not lost revenue, it is guaranteed revenue. There is no guarantee that any current subscribers will remain the length of time to make ‘lifetime’ a cheaper alternative (and lost revenue to Roon). Subscribers come and go; lifetime is a lock.

Further, those that are locked in would be more likely to purchase a Nucleus, than anybody merely trialing over a year.

Of course, we are not privy to Roon’s business model & their future price moves are all conjecture. Perhaps they could lower their costs to entice more users?

Those in the US or other countries with a strong currency (e.g UK) arguably have a different sentiment to those who have to pay ~$1000 (or more) of their currency. I suspect Roon lifetime @ US$1000 or GBP$1000 would provide different opinions. Anyway, that is a moot point as Roon only has one US pricing policy for the world.

Moreover, the world economy is clearly on the slide due to covid. We all know this and it’s no secret. As, with any economic downturn there are both winners and losers. However, I would suggest that any price increases at this particular time be inappropriate. Prices accordingly are not increasing!

Cheers.

16 Likes

But one thing that appears to be booming, with all the lockdowns, people working from home, and restrictions on live entertainment, is listening to recorded or streamed music. there must be a lot of spare cash, that once would have gone on theatre and concert tickets plus all the associated costs of attending a show just waiting to be spent.

Discretionary products pitched to the “high end” of the market can be better placed to withstand recessionary environments than mass market products.

5 Likes

I agree with your thoughts here Paul. :slightly_smiling_face:

Notwithstanding, whilst there’s a changing landscape, that’s not likely to be permanent. Albeit, some now working from home may continue to do so, if their workplace allows. It seems out here some may have the opportunity to remain at home and continue to work, whilst others, even if that opportunity exists, relish the ability to return to their workspace for a number of reasons - including separating work from home life & the ability to collaborate with their colleagues face to face. Some say they are equally productive working from home or perhaps more so, whilst others claim it’s not for them and is too distracting. From a business perspective workers working from home may reduce their costs if the need for large office space reduces.

I did try to keep my initial response here very general mostly as there are so many variables and as users, we are none the wiser to Roon’s way of thinking. Further, I do believe that the current subscription cost and/or lifetime, reflects that of a high-end product. It is the highest in the music streaming realm!

Similarly, I would be surprised if their operating costs have increased. New staff have been added according to demand. The cost of building Nucleus and associated profit margin I assume has remained relatively unchanged. However, this is purely speculation - we simply do not know the facts.

Cheers. :musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note:

2 Likes

Unless of course you have lost your job. There have been 700,000 job losses in the UK through the pandemic. So far. Many musicians, whose jobs were always somewhat precarious, now have no work.

1 Like

Yes, but you need to be a member of this user forum. I use many products/software from which I never visited their user forum. If it wasn’t for the monthly „What happened in the Roon Labs community“ summary newsletter I wouldn’t know about this thread and a price change being imminent.

1 Like

I tend to think about this in a way that is probably completely opposite to most. Roon is a product that I love, that I use all day everyday - it is simply the most used piece of software in my entire arsenal (when I leave OS X and iOS out of the list). But I choose, and have chosen for multiple years to pay annually for this software. Why? Because I want to support the development of this software for many more years. When I signed up for Roon I could have bought ‘Lifetime’ for a rather inexpensive price. And that would have paid for itself now. And I’d be sitting pretty as I would not have to give Roon any more money.

But I’m glad I didn’t. I’d rather be in the position that I am in right now. I’ve contributed to Roon’s past - and I continue to contribute to Roon’s future, annual subscription after annual subscription. I’m quite happy paying $9.99 a month for this software, which contributes so much to my #1 pleasure, which is listening to great music.

12 Likes

A year is a long time in software. I’m happy to be an annual subscriber, I can jump ship if something better comes along, or if Qobuz folds, or if my circumstances change, and meantime feel I might have some minuscule power in influencing the development of Roon, such as it is.

2 Likes

Honestly don’t give a hoot about lifetime, I was never contemplating it even though I am in my 4th year. I prefer to keep funding Roon in a way that will aid it’s continued development. If it’s ceases to develop or something better comes along I will likely jump ship. But right now its used more than anything else in my house. I can play music without it, but I like what it does, they way I engage with it and discover more music and ease at which I can listen where I want at any time.

4 Likes

I wonder how much of a lifetime subscription fee roon has to put in escrow to pay future metadata licensing fees, and how they would calculate that? Or, maybe they have a deal for a one-time permanent license fee for lifetime subscribers?

I understand at least some metadata providers have a lifetime fee option.

1 Like

Well, actually not quite. He now mentioned a more or less specific end-of-life date. I was in the situation of wanting to get the lifetime license for months (not being a customer yet) and was also aware of the idea of killing lifetime. Before I decided to buy the license, price increased… At that time I would have been thankful for such a heads-up.

I’m just over 3 years into Roon and still loving it, use it more days!

One more year and I’ve broken even so very happy I made the life time choice.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I understand those who think jumping ship is a thing exclusive to annual subscribers. I’m three years in now and would not be at all concerned if a better option came up. I certainly wouldn’t be sitting there wringing my hands unable to leave Roon! That said, if better could be done, it probably would have been by now!

1 Like

Slightly off topic, but I’d be interested in alternative incentives rather than the current ‘extreme spectrum end” choices. One option might be slight reductions for a longer term subscription, e.g $8.49 a month for 24 months commitment. A rolling incremental discount is another option, similar to no claims discount for insurance, but rewarding “loyalty” rather than carefulness, this would obviously have to be capped at say 30% off at 5 consecutive years. Roon’s benefit is some medium term financial certainty. Having too many long term subscribers claiming a maximum discount is far from the worst problem for a business to have presuming the subscriptions are profitable.

3 Likes