Thinking of Roon Lifetime ? Read this

As a comparison in 1982 unemployment in U.K. was 3 million+
H

Same for me, it’s a tiny tiny proportion of my annual audio or entertainment costs. Count in my kids college costs and it’s near zero. And I have to pay for their Spotify and Netflix subscriptions! Haha
H

1 Like

I really hope there will be some kind of warning if the lifetime membership ceases or increase in price.

Pretty sure that warning was just issued.

Let those who have ears, hear.

3 Likes

Sorry, such complicated pipe dreams.

It’s hardly the “I have a dream” stuff of visionaries :wink:

While @danny may have *commented * in the past It would be good customer service to give current yearly users a definitive notice.

1 Like

Now that you have been given the broadest possible hint that something is in the works, does that change your decision about if or when you might purchase lifetime?

Really, there will still be much gnashing of teeth the next time that the lifetime option is changed somehow, no matter what notice is given.

5 Likes

In my eyes this views the current subscription model as a “try before you buy” option which is perhaps at odds with Roon’s view. They appear to see the lifetime purchase option as an historically necessary part of their business model that they’re keen to move away from. From that POV a formal notice period of withdrawal might signal a rush of customers from a model they prefer to one they’re trying to retire.

1 Like

Also a bit odd when I joined ~8 months ago. You had to either purchase a yearly membership or lifetime. Now they off monthly at the same price as annually.

The web site pricing info still says $9.99 a month, billed annually.

Yes - the professional performing arts has been one of the hardest hit by the measures to deal with the Coronavirus. I have several subscriptions to live performances which have been cancelled. Even though I am an avid listener of recorded music - there is nothing like a live concert for the total experience.

1 Like

This makes sense, but there’s a flip side: I bought the lifetime 3 years ago thinking that more lifetime subscribers early in the game would provide an initial cash infusion to sustain the business until it could get to a sustaining level of annual subscribers. I think there’s more value to lifetime early in the business model, but more value to repeat subscribers later to provide steady cash. That’s why it makes sense to continue to raise the price on lifetime or phase it out.

1 Like

That is highly unlikely. There is no monthly plan. Either annual or lifetime. Look, it’s this simple. If you want lifetime, stop dancing around and buy it. If you don’t want it, don’t buy it.

5 Likes

Well put and the bottom line.

I don’t understand the ‘warn me before you do something for real’ idea.

1 Like

I stand corrected. The add says $9.99 per month , billed annually.

Whether it is monthly, annual, or lifetime, I think Roon is one of the best values in the world of audio. People spend more on a set of interconnects which don’t give near the value that Roon brings. We are in this hobby because we love music and for me at least, Roon helps me enjoy my collection and broadens my horizons via Qobuz.

11 Likes

LOL, I should refrain from posting in the forums, people always pick a detail to answer me which I do not consider to be the gist of the matter of what I wanted to point out.

3 Likes

LOL, feel free to ignore all posts that do not directly satisfy your concerns

You ask a very good question and I would expand it to include Roon’s cost of operations in general. I’m trying to remember accounting I took many decades ago that used the magazine subscription model. We were taught you could not bring money to the bottom line until you earned it over time. There seems to be speculation on this forum that Roon is spending it as soon as they get it, but that would not conform to GAAP accounting, if memory serves. I would bet that Roon is a professionally run organization and handle the money in a way that would safely provide for growth and sustainability.