Thinking of Roon Lifetime ? Read this

<<Let those who have ears, hear.>>

Haha luv it :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

And the proper accounting for ā€œincomeā€ mentioned relates to the proper period in which income is reported (now or in the future). It has nothing to do with how the CASH is spent.

2 Likes

Matthew 11:15.

(Iā€™m as surprised at the source as anyone)

1 Like

I wonder what band was so popular back then? (Humour)

ā€œThe David Fiveā€

I was thinking the Jesus and Mary chain.

4 Likes

This was the explanation of starting off with lifetime to give operating capital on start up etc given a year ago

The Locusts. Possibly The Rolling Stones.

2 Likes

Guys there is only one first. Genesis of course!

8 Likes

Furthermore. Some people will not buy hardware which does not offer a lifetime option for the necessary service. I donā€™t think TiVo ever got rid of that option for example.

1 Like

Iā€™ve only been a Roon user for about 6 months, and even though I enjoyed it so much during my trial period, I was still 50/50 about whether to do an annual or lifetime subscription.

Iā€™m glad I went for the annual subscription in the end, as it means I donā€™t feel obligated to stick around if a better product comes along.

Tell you what though - if I could offline music to my mobile device with Roon like I can with Plexamp/PlexPass I would switch to a lifetime subscription in a second.

4 Likes

I access Roon through Roon Essentials and it gives me enough of the platform to know it is just a great way to stream and access musicā€” but at 499 I was on the fence of buying it outright but at the higher prices Iā€™ll just wait it out until one of the major streaming companies or hardware companies ditch their sub par app platforms and just buy Roon outright and make it their default OS. I donā€™t see ROON making it long term with the continual changes in models and computer OS updates

2 Likes

I have had a Roon life membership for well over two years now, and as I recall it cost about Ā£375 after calculating the exchange rate at the time. With yearly membership $120 a year at the moment what I paid will nearly pay for itself by the third anniversary of my membership. So the longer you sit on the fence, the longer it will take to get value for money and with the lifetime cost at the moment that could be up to six years?. A month or so ago a limited edition vinyl boxed set by Amy Winehouse was announced for pre order, So I thought about it for a few hours, went online to order but it had sold out. So I suppose what I am saying is, you snooze, you lose.

Youā€™re one of the few currencies that buy more US dollars. It roughly costs you US$90 annually.

Iā€™m sure youā€™d still pay the same amount in pounds (a win for Roon), which may offset lower costs for those with weaker exchange rates.

Alas, thatā€™s not how Roon operates; there is just one price regardless of region. Certainly many online/digital companies of various types operate differently. On the other hand, some companies restrict sales beyond certain borders, such as digital music purchases. Why on earth they do that when thereā€™s no local operative/competitive equivalent e.g HD Tracks I canā€™t fathom. (Perhaps legal restrictions of some kind)

@sr1329 I think thatā€™s a very important point & one Iā€™ve never seen spoken about previously. People may be reluctant to buy hardware on the basis they must pay annually to use it with no guarantee of subscription cost. Actually, I think people certainly would balk at hardware of that nature.

I intended to go Lifetime a couple of months ago when my sub came up for renewal.

I was talked out of this by a member of your support team who cited continued funding enabling better ongoing support, to paraphrase.

Well I decided to support Roon despite the attraction of a lifetime offer.

However, two months in and there is no attention at all, that I can see, given to a longstanding issue which was flagged up to your support team long before my renewal. So this now appears disingenuous as a reason for supporting monthly sub model.

If Iā€™d like to go the other way, at this point, and switch to lifetime, does the remainder of my yearly sub reduce the lifetime amount?

Not after 30 days. However, if you intend to go lifetime, there is no reason to wait. It will cost you $700 now or $700 (or more) later.

Hereā€™s a totally different perspective. Think of a lifetime subscription as similar to an insurance policy. I am 76. I am not worried about whether or not Iā€™ll get my moneyā€™s worth of benefit from it. Having worked in the IT world for many years, I have seen application software come and go. Technology changes with seemingly increasing speed now-a-days. New applications come out daily. Roon is simply the best of the current applications that fill my primary needs, i.e. the ability to integrate my NAS Library with Qobuz and the need to be able to play from the multiple ā€œNodesā€ in my home (four listening areas currently plus portable devices) using only one control source (smart phone or tablet). Why lock myself in to this product for the rest of my lifeā€¦ however long, or short, that is. You are betting that Roon will be around 5 years from now. Obviously, if you already own Roon Lifetime, you have made that bet! At the original price of Lifetime, I would probably also have taken that bet! Five years at the original price seems like a fair bet. Now, a few years later and at the increased priceā€¦ not so much. Success breeds competitors. Markets change. Technology changes. Given the current cost of Lifetime, Iā€™d rather hedge my bets by paying yearlyā€¦ not through altruism, but because the deal isnā€™t as good as it once was.

7 Likes

Well, the other perspective here is that five years ago Roon was a dicier proposition than it is now. Roon was only a few months old, and decidedly less capable than today. Just one streaming service added more risk. And something better could have come along (but it hasnā€™t).
One either embraces risk for opportunity, or clutches the safe play. There is no right answer, of course.

4 Likes

Personally, I feel like, once you start purchasing hardware to run Roon, you might as well subscribe to lifetime. I bought lifetime Roon and a Roon Nucleus at almost the same time.

4 Likes

Scott, Couldnā€™t agree with you more. First adopters nearly always suffer the highest degree of risk and usually are rewarded for accepting that risk. Youā€™re right. There is no right answer in general. Each person must look at their own situation and define the risk/reward for any decision. You makes your choices and you takes your chances!

1 Like