This PC under Audio settings is misidentified

Roon Core Machine

Windows 11, Gigabyte H370HD3, 3.00 GHz Intel Core i5-8500, 8GB, System Name: Handel

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Technicolor DJA0231 modem/router via ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Endpoint PC, Windows 10, Asus P8Z77-V LX, 3.4GHz Intel Core i7-3770, 8GB, System Name: Amadeus. Using on board Realtek High Definition Audio via Speakers

Number of Tracks in Library

33,150 tracks

Description of Issue

I had been running Roon Core on the i7 PC for a few years. However, that PC is getting very old and I recently decided to set up the i5 PC as the Core. I took the hard drive out of the i7 PC and installed it into the i5 PC and upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11. As a result, the i5 PC inherited the System Name of “Handel” (which previously was the name of the i7 PC). So far so good.
Next, I fitted an SSD drive onto the old i7 PC and clean installed Windows 10. I then installed Roon and proceeded to set it up. This machine has System Name of “Amadeus”.

The problem is that when I go into Settings>>Audio on Amadeus, it incorrectly shows up Handel under This PC. I can confirm that if I make any changes to the settings under This PC on Amadeus, they get changed on Handel (i.e. the Core PC).

I also note the Amadeus does not appear on the list of Zones:


When I start playing a track, it will play on both Handel and Amadeus simultaneously!

Any advice on how to untangle this anomaly?

Many thanks.

Hi @Martin_Porter,

Sorry to hear that you’re having some troubles with your recently outfitted machine. The problem you’re having is because Windows machines don’t like Mozart. You’re going to need to rename that machine as Shostakovich to get it to work.

No, just kidding. Typically this occurs when there is some kind of hard drive cloning involved. You state above that you clean installed Windows on the new SSD so what you’re seeing is a bit strange.

There are ways to separate them again, let’s try to completely reset the Roon App on the Amadeus PC and see if this helps. To do so, please use these instructions:

  • Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location on the affected PC (Amadeus)
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”, “RAATServer”
  • Rename “Roon” to “Roon_old”, “RAATServer” to “RAATServer_old”
  • Reinstall Roon from our Downloads Page on the Amadeu PC
  • Verify if the issue is resolved

If this doesn’t solve the issue, you can try the same procedure on the Core machine, and after confirming it is resolved, you can restore from a Roon backup.

Let us know if this helps!

1 Like

Hi @jamie,

Sadly, that hasn’t resolved the issue.

I followed the steps firstly on Amadeus - that made no difference. Next I repeated the steps on Handel - again no change. I noticed, after reinstalling Roon on Handel, as soon as I Enabled the System Output, it also simultaneously Enabled the System Output on Amadeus. On both machines, the enabled System Output is renamed to Handel.

So unfortunately it’s basically back to square one. Perhaps I should try renaming the machine to Shostakovich (LoL)!!!

1 Like

I just realised I haven’t mentioned that on Handel, I run Roon Server in the background and connect to it when I start Roon on any device. I’m not sure if that’s relevant to this problem but just in case…

Hi @Martin_Porter

Please try the steps described here and let us know if this helps.:

Hi @jamie,

Thanks for those suggestions. I’m pleased to report that the registry edit method worked! Everything seems to be working normally now.

I still don’t understand why I had this issue. I didn’t clone any drives. Still, what matters is that the problem is resolved.

Many thanks for your help.


1 Like

Hey @Martin_Porter,

Thank you for the update, I’m glad that things are working for you now! Please feel free to reach out if you ever have any other questions or issues.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.