Those who run Roon core on a computer? Do you just leave the computer on all the time?

Win 10 i7 Roon Core - I have a BIOS job that turns it on at 7am everyday and a Task Scheduler job that turns it off at 1am every night.

Same process for the Synology NAS that host the FLAC library.

It means I dont have to think about it ever, and I dont get any issues with memory leaks etc. for long running processes. Nice fresh start every morning :coffee:

1 Like

I leave the NUC on all the time. It takes less resources than my previous power amplifier that had no standby mode.

1 Like

Nuc 7i5 passive cooled. Only on when using Roon. Think it’s ridicoulous to leave something powered when not using it. Another endpoint on Ropieee also only on when using Roon.

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess for me it will make the most sense (if the Mac is not already on from other usage), to power it up when I want to listen and then set Energy Saver to sleep it at night at like 1am (this is an automatic setting that will remain set all the time).

I could also schedule it to automatically wake up in the morning but I don’t need it to do that if I’m not home for example.

This will enable me to have access to Roon from other devices in my home such as from my iPhone connected to Chord Mojo, AppleTV connected to my AV Receiver, etc.

Do you turn off the internet connection when not using it? Do you turn off the WiFi when using wired?
A server or service should be on and ready to serve instantly.

Yes. I leave my purpose built roon Rock i5 NUC server, on all the time.

I use a laptop as one core which is mostly on all the time and also have a desktop, an old I7 from 2013 with 16gb ram, as a second core which is just more or less dedicated to running roon and is on all the time. Never really think of the need to switch computers off any more. Maybe that’s odd?

Seems as nobody cares about saving energy! I see no reason to leave my computer running the whole day and night. I made my settings so, that I just has do open my HPLaptop and it runs Fidelizer and Roon without pressing any bottom . No password, no nothing. Takes about 40 seconds, less than getting my headphones, warming the tunes or making a coffee.

I too leave my dedicated headless Mac mini on all the time. Would be really great if Roon clients could send Wake On Lan requests though. I’d love to be able to let the system sleep when it’s not in use.

2 Likes

I agree. And also allow auto-sleep of the Mac if no activity. Currently Roon prevents sleep.

2 Likes

I understand the point.
But the math is not impressive.
Makes us feel good to shut down a Roon server, but a single airplane flight has a bigger carbon footprint than leaving the Roon Core on for 200 years.

I chose a fanless computer with no HDDs to minimize energy use.

2 Likes

Roon is always busy busy :joy:

I dislike devices that draw power when not in use, but some things just need to be accessible. My music server is one of them. I could deal with powering it on when I use it, but it’s certainly nicer that it’s always there. And there’s little chance I’d get my wife to bother with it if she had to deal with powering it.

I’m running a NUC 7i5… with an SSD for Rock and an SSD for my music.

Yesterday I put a watt meter on it and it seems to hover around 8W.

The [quote=“Ken_Lesniak, post:34, topic:65459”]
And there’s little chance I’d get my wife to bother with it if she had to deal with powering it.
[/quote]
That might be the single biggest motivator most of us (blokes) will have.

I’ve already been torn apart with the “give me a damn light switch” with HomeKit controlled lights in the house, at least where there is no motion sensor. So a switch is in the plan now.

She powers up the Hifi ok but most of the rest of the speakers in the house just come on when she plays to them…picking the right room is manageable. She will even Use Roon at a pinch but as she has Spotify as a preference for streaming things have to support that for the most part…Oppo sonica speakers in the bedroom and bathroom cover those bases and chromecast on the hifi for roon/whatever.

3 Likes

I hate this argument, this or that makes more and needs more…
There a thousand steps we have to make to save this planet and everybody has to start somewhere . There are milliardes of electronic instruments running on standby wasting energy of how many powerstations?
(By the way: I don‘t fly anymore.)

4 Likes

Yea. I run an Acer fanless tablet with Win 10 as my core and main listening room output, and leave it on all the time. Its display is large but I have its brightness turned down pretty low because most of my listening is at night and in a relatively dark room. I’ve never had any issues with Roon itself but Tidal frequently drops out or needs me to re-login which is annoying. Otherwise the set up has worked great for 2-3 years.

1 Like

Yep, me too, it’s a laptop dedicated to Roon. Anyways, I put Roon in the startup list, so at any restart or if one without my consent occurs, Roon will start right after Windows. Leaving it always on its also good for the auto backups.

3 Likes

Should it? Where did you find that Golden rule? Maybe I mist that…

I take it back.
By all means turn it off.