Tidal 192kHz MQA stuttering on Denafrips Ares II

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Synology 918+ NAS with Roon Server Running Roon 1.7 Build 667

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Everything wired up via Zyxel Gigabit Switch on a Amplifi HD router.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Roon Bridge running via ropieeeXL on a Raspberry Pi 3+
Denafrips Ares II connected via USB to Roon Bridge
S.M.S.L. SU-8

Description Of Issue

When streaming 192kHz MQA Music via Tidal the music stutters on the Denafrips Ares II (e.g. Stanley Turrentine - That’s Where It’s At). When using another DAC on the same setup (SMSL SU-8 for example) the same music can be heard without stuttering (same roon bridge etc.). The DACs are configured identically in Roon. When listening to non MQA music on the Denafrips the content can be upsampled to 768kHz with no Problem. Also 88.2kHz MQA music can be streamed without any problem. Only the combination Ares II with 192kHz MQA music creates stuttering.

Working:

Stuttering:

Same Music on different DAC with no Stuttering:

Non MQA on Ares II incl. upsampling and EQ with no problems:

Hello @Jann-Frederik_Rompf, my apologies for the trouble here. Can you please try connecting the NAS directly to the router and connecting the Ares II to the NAS? I’d like to simplify your setup by removing the switch and the Roon Bridge.

Also, does this happen with local 192kHz tracks?

Hey. Thanks for the feedback. I wrote the support at denafrips as well and they suggested a firmware upgrade. This seems to have fixed the problem. :+1:

Hello @Jann-Frederik_Rompf, that’s awesome news! Let me know if you have any further issues.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.