Tidal and Roon Issues

I can play music stored on my NAS perfectly well but with Tidal i’m getting the TIDAL; This track is not available in Tidal and Transport Too many failures error that I notice many are having issues with.
I’ve logged out of Tidal in Roon, rebooted Core machine (windows 10) and logged back into Tidal in Roon as suggested in previous threads.
Core - windows 10
Streamer - Live Box
Any easy to follow help much appreciated as I’m not overly techy…

Is this your experience for all TIDAL recordings or a select few?

Also, please share a little more detail about your setup. Thanks.

Additional Details

For some issues, additional details may help us resolve the issue more quickly.

If your issue is related to network connectivity , only happens with certain files or Tidal content , or only happens when you play through certain outputs (like only on your DAC, or AppleTV), make sure to provide the relevant information below.

This will ensure that Roon Support can help resolve your issue as quickly as possible.

Describe Your Network
(if you’re having an issue that involves networked components)

If your issue is related to your network, let us know the basics of your network. If your system includes networked storage or audio zones, or Roon running as a remote, be sure to include:

• What router are you using? When did you last update the firmware?
  • Is there any other networking hardware involved?
  • Is everything wired, wireless, or is there a mix of wired and wireless gear?

Answers to questions are below.

If your issue is related to network connectivity , only happens with certain files or Tidal content , or only happens when you play through certain outputs (like only on your DAC, or AppleTV), make sure to provide the relevant information below.

ALL TIDAL CONTENT. I only play through my main DAC and no other zones. Tidal on its own played fine. I’ve logged out of tidal, rebooted the Core and logged back in several times.

This will ensure that Roon Support can help resolve your issue as quickly as possible.

Describe Your Network
(if you’re having an issue that involves networked components)

If your issue is related to your network, let us know the basics of your network. If your system includes networked storage or audio zones, or Roon running as a remote, be sure to include:

What router are you using? When did you last update the firmware?

Livebox

Is there any other networking hardware involved?

WDMYCloud

Is everything wired, wireless, or is there a mix of wired and wireless gear?

Mostly wireless

Is your Core connected to the NAS using Wi-Fi? If so, can you make the connection using Ethernet?

For all networks

No matter what your network setup is like, there are important factors to keep in mind to ensure you are getting the best out of your Roon experience:

• Your Roon Core should always have a wired connection
  • If your library is stored elsewhere on the network, always ensure that both your Core and storage location are using a wired connection. Avoid WiFi between your Core and media storage at all costs.
  • Avoid connecting high resolution/high performance audio devices to Roon via WiFi to ensure optimal performance.
  • A wireless connection from your remote device to your Core is perfectly acceptable and expected in most cases.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Networking_Best_Practices

Also, for clarification can you explain what devices you use when listening to music and how these are connected to Roon.

I am not able to connect by wire and only wireless. Sorry.

Currently and in this system (i’m new to Roon) I’m using the Asus laptop running roon and tidal into a Cambridge Audio DAC - once I get my head around Roon and get it working properly (hopefully) i’ll get it into the main rig for which i have a number of high-end DACs to choose from. At the moment the CA DAC is connected via USB.

For the avoidance of doubt, music files on the WD My Cloud are successfully streamed to your laptop and to the CA DAC? Can you also confirm the format of the media files and if you are streaming TIDAL HiFI (either FLAC or MQA.) Thanks.

Hi there, yep, files from WD MC are streaming fine. Files are in the main FLAC. Yes, TIDAL HIFI but not MQA.

Your setup is unorthodox and this may be why you’re having difficulties. Ideally, you should have both Core and the WD My Cloud connected directly to the Ethernet ports on your ISPs router. Is this possible, even as a short-term test?

@support will assist, but you do need to follow the Networking Best Practices (most issues of this type are caused by an issue with the home network.)

Have a look at the following section … and in particular Simplify and Rebuild.

Troubleshooting Network Issues

Improperly configured networks or bad networking hardware can contribute to a wide range of problems, including:

• Audio Dropouts
  • Remotes that don’t connect to the Core
  • Audio devices that don’t show up in Roon
  • Skipped tracks and playback interruptions.
  • Error messages including:
    • “Roon lost control of audio device”
    • “An audio file is loading slowly…” or “TIDAL media is loading slowly…”
    • “Too many failures. Stopping playback.”
    • “Playback has failed due to an unexpected error communicating…”
    • “Unable to connect to this channel. Check your internet connection”

If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, you can save a lot of time and headache by running some basic tests on your network. The following steps will help you to troubleshoot and pinpoint the root cause of the problem.

Power Cycling

Start out your troubleshooting process by power cycling your Core machine, networking hardware, and any affected endpoints and remotes. This can sometimes fix the issue by itself, but even when it doesn’t, it helps to get everything into a known, replicable state so that you can proceed with troubleshooting.

Simplify then Rebuild

This is one of the most powerful troubleshooting tools available. With enough care and determination, you can figure about why just about any piece of technology in your life is broken.This can be labor intensive, and it’s surely not fun to drag gear around the house just to troubleshoot a problem, but the effectiveness of this approach makes it worth it. When done carefully, this almost always generates invaluable information about exactly where things are going wrong, which often helps us make progress on tricky issues.

Repeat these steps until you identify the root cause of the problem:

1. If you’re still having the problem, simplify until the problem goes away
  2. If you’re not having the problem, add elements back into the system one at a time until the problem re-appears.

Assuming that you are able to make the problem disappear and re-appear, you will eventually figure out the cause.

For example, if you’re experiencing dropouts, you might try connecting your audio device and Roon Core directly to your router (bypassing WiFi, any switches, Ethernet over Power, etc.). Assuming this resolves the issue, you would then start re-adding the removed elements one by one until you find the element that triggers the problem.

I’d have thought my set up was pretty standard having read other folks set ups. I can’t wire the Core directly to the Ethernet ports even as an experiment…though of course the WD NAS is connected to the router by wire.

Roon Core needs to be on a wired network; I don’t think anyone has this running over Wi-Fi especially when the media files are located on another device.

Since your Core is a laptop surely you can connect it to your router and test that way with your DAC? This is the first step to eliminate issues.

Thanks for your help, Martin. I’ll speak with Dipin in the week and see if we can resolve this, but a wired core just isn’t going to happen I don’t think.
S

1 Like

One option is to buy a NUC with ROCK and locate that next to your router. Endpoints are more likely to work reliably over Wi-Fi.

Hello @Stuart_Smith,

Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue and a bit thank you to @Martin_Webster for getting more info until this thread reached our queue. I also have a few other suggestions here:

1. Can you please verify that your TIDAL account works properly in the Web Player (https://listen.tidal.com) and TIDAL App?

2. We have seen users have a better TIDAL experience in the past if they change their DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Google DNS or Cloudflare DNS. Can you please give this a try and let me know if it helps?

3. Clearing the TIDAL cache may be a good troubleshooting step here, can you use these instructions as to generate a new cache folder?

• Find and open your Roon database
  • Navigate to /Roon/Cache
  • Move the contents of the /Cache folder elsewhere, like your desktop
  • Try restarting Roon and verify if the issue still occurs

Please let me know if this helps @Stuart_Smith!

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like