Tidal Browsing and initial buffer in Roon really slow

The new machine is connected in the same manner to the network. It’s running a 4-core i3 9100, 16 GB of RAM and an SSD.

Perhaps it is my network, but it’s still not clear to me what requirements Roon has that I need to change. I don’t have any problems with Tidal when using their native app, so there is either a config I need to setup in my network or a performance issue with Roon. Are there any logs or dumps I can pull that would help answer what is happening?

I also did a different experiment - when initially setting up Roon on the Ubuntu desktop, I didn’t add my collection on my NAS. The Tidal connectivity, search and playback in Roon was super fast but once I added my network content did things grind to a halt again …

Hi @Patrick_Siu,

Thanks, that’s definitely a good data point. This could point toward Core machine performance coming into play — How many tracks are in your library total? You can find this on the Overview screen.

Hi @dylan - there are 1719 tracks in the collection. Doesn’t seem to be a big number?

Hi @Patrick_Siu,

No, that’s not very large, so that is unlikely to be the case. Perhaps the additional bandwidth on the network that is being used is coming into play.

To recap:

• Google DNS doesn’t change things by very much
  • This happens for all endpoints
  • Connecting the Core directly to the primary router didn’t result in any changes
  • Using the PC remote did work okay
  • No change when using a fresh database on the NUC
  • Dedicated Ubuntu machine is exhibiting the same issues, but only when NAS content is added

Just to clarify one thing:

Using the PC remote did work okay

Did you add the NAS media during this test?

Hi @dylan - in that test, I did a sample before and after adding the NAS media. Before adding, Tidal performance was quick and snappy and then after, it was noticeably slower but not nearly as slow as what I saw on the NUC or when using the Ubuntu machine

Thanks for the clarification, @Patrick_Siu.

Okay, so with this information I think we are close to understanding what’s happening here. It seems that, whenever the NAS is in use, things are slower to varying degrees depending on the Core machine.

Most likely this is due to networking issues when the NAS is in use, but to confirm, I’d like to propose a test which will help us rule out a couple of other potential variables.

Do you have an external drive that you could store the media from the NAS on? Or could you store it on an internal drive on one of these Core machines? The goal here is to see if adding this media from a different location results in the same problems or if this is entirely limited to the NAS being in use.

I thought we were close but sadly not :frowning: - re-configured to have my local content on the Ubuntu machine and didn’t see any differences in performance with Tidal. I also removed the NAS completely from the network.

One thing I want to add is that when utilizing my music stored on my NAS, playback and search through that content was quick and snappy. It’s only when I have to search/playback with Tidal or utilize the Tidal menu is when everything is really slow

Thanks, @Patrick_Siu.

So we’ve confirmed that with no content added, the Ubuntu machine is working okay. But when content is added either from the NAS or locally, the issue occurs.

Moving forward, using the configuration with the media on the Ubuntu machine, can you reproduce this issue once more? Please make a note of the time that the slowness occurs, what specifically you were doing, and how long it takes. Respond here with that information and we will enable diagnostics on your account so the team can take a look.

So I across something promising - I needed to reboot my ubuntu machine to install some updates. After the reboot, the first launch of Roon and subsequently Tidal took >20 seconds on my iPad or PC. After force killing the app and launching again, Tidal and search is fast and snappy in Roon. Only complaint is album loading from search still takes ~7 seconds but perhaps that is expected?

@dylan, not sure what happened here? Was there a recent update to Roon Server that could have fixed what I was running into? The first launch of the app is still pretty slow but after things seem to be working much better …

Hi @Patrick_Siu,

We did just release an update yesterday which may have helped here — Can you continue to monitor and let us know if things keep up this way?

worked for me, thank you

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.