Tidal has dropouts while playing 16/44 in Radio Mode

This is really frustrating and has me regretting wasting the money on Roon at this point. I have had this issue off and on since my subscription started last week. My network is strong and works perfectly through the Tidal app directly. Oddly my Tidal MQA playlist has no issues, but if I go into radio mode and a 16/44 Tidal track comes on it will play a few seconds then give me this message or just freeze entirely at the start.

If you have an issue, you should make your own post in the support section where the support personnel are more likely to see and respond. @support will probably first ask for you to describe the problem in detail as well as provide details on your RoonServer and Network setup.

Hi @Damien_Sullivan ---- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles here. As Daniel has mentioned, having a detailed description of the problem that you are experiencing along with the specifics of your setup will greatly aide in evaluating this behavior you are reporting. With this in mind may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with the following information:

1. A brief but accurate description of your current setup as seen here.

2. Please describe your network configuration/topology, as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you are implementing. I want to have a complete understanding of how your devices are communicating and what tools are being used to make those connections possible.

3. In regard to this issue you are experiencing:

“…but if I go into radio mode and a 16/44 Tidal track comes on it will play a few seconds then give me this message or just freeze entirely at the start.”

• Can you verify what error message you are seeing?

• Do you only have this issue while streaming TIDAL content or is this same behavior present when streaming content from your music collection as well?

The more detail you can provide, the better :sunglasses:

-Eric

Thanks, I do have to say the email I received from support and the speed you guys responded has put me at ease. The error I have been getting is “a network or connection error is interfering with TIDAL playback”. I have’t had any trouble streaming to other devices locally, and so far it has not happened with any of the Tidal MQA files. My system is running Windows 10 64 bit. I have an i5 3570K with 16gb ram, 2x gtx980ti in SLI, 2 samsung evo SSD’s, and a 2TB Seagate HDD. I am using a Meridian Explorer 2 as a DAC connected with line out to an o2 amp. My router is an Archer C9 with a LAN cable connected to my PC, but the problem existed on my previous router and a Buffalo G450H I tested as well. I just set this network up a couple days ago. I have 100mb internet service and get 96mb up/89mb down on speedtest. Over the past couple weeks since subscribing I have had this problem about 5 days and the rest of the time it has worked fine. Right now it is working it seems but last night it would not play more than a few seconds of Tidal.

Hi @Damien_Sullivan ---- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my questions. Both are appreciated!

Moving forward, can you verify if you play content via the TIDAL application, is the experience the same or different?

-Eric

As I said in my original post, it was working fine through the Tidal desktop app. That was the case every time this has happened. Also MQA seemed to play fine, but buffering just took slightly longer than usual. Today I was having no problem, but I find myself using Roon less and less because I just don’t want to deal with this intermittent issue. Otherwise I love the service, but I can’t justify the cost if I can’t get it working perfectly. Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Damien_Sullivan ---- Thank you for the follow up and my apologies for missing that in your initial report :dizzy_face:

While I understand that this issue comes and goes intermittently and is related to 16/44 content, can you identify any other patterns you are noticing? For example is it the same album(s) or track(s) that you find that cause this behavior?

-Eric

The only pattern I noticed when this happens is, usually one song will play normally and then I start to get the error from every song after or they just will sit there seemingly buffering but never start. On restarting the program one song would play and then the issues would start again.

Hi @Damien_Sullivan — Thank you for the follow up and for the PM response. Both are appreciated!

I would like to grab some logs from to see if we can possible identify anything that could be causing this to occur, but first I just want to re-confirm that this behavior is only related to 16/44 content as stated in the thread’s title. In other words, if you are playing TIDAL content that has the same sample/bit rate this issue is NOT present, correct?

-Eric

A post was split to a new topic: Network Troubleshooting