Tidal hi fi not playing after upgrade

@support I just upgraded my tidal subscription from premium to hi fi

However, the masters are still streaming at CD quality - please advise

Masters are MQA files and Stream at CD quality until you hit an MQA DAC which unfolds them to the full resolution the DAC can accommodate.

1 Like

Adding to Chris’ reply … MQA DAC or software unfolding by the streaming software… which is on the Roon roadmap.

1 Like

So Roon does not currently do the first software MQA unfold to 24/96? And does Roon currently handle Tidal Masters (MQA) files by streaming CD 16/44 or folded 24/48 MQA files? When you say it is on the roadmap is that software unfold to 24/96 or some full software MQA solution?

After further review it is showing above cd quality but I am curious about a few things

Why does it show both 48 and 96khz and why are there conversions when I have dsp disabled in Roon.

Correct, though it is on the roadmap.

Roon’s transport layer is bitperfect, so provided Roon’s DSP features and volume leveling are disabled, then yes.

Roon have not published details, it’s their policy not to … or to confirm timeline.

48khz is what’s passing through Roon. 96Khz is what the file turns into if you have a DAC that can do the full unfold.

Bit depth conversion is being done because you have volume leveling enabled.

Yes, the MQA rate indicates what the original sample rate of the recording is, and what might be achieved using a MQA DAC.

You have Roon’s volume leveling enabled, this is configured (rightly or wrongly) outside of the DSP section.

Andy - Carl, Are you suggesting that BluOS is not MQA-compliant?

I am expecting 96Khz from source to playback with tidal master ->Roon->MQA->BluOS card->M32

Thanks for the help wrt volume leveling - have turned that off as well.

I have notice that when connected to Roon, my mojo dac does not pick up the tidal master. However, if I turn off Roon and use tidal app on my Mac, it picks up tidal master and plays high bit rate.

Can you post a screenshot of Roon’s signal path when you’re playing a Tidal MQA track.

also, it plays 192khz when stop Roon and use tidal app.not good not good.

Did you set this to Master? Also, when you setup the Mojo in Roon, make sure you choose to have Roon do the MQA decoding, under Advanced, since the Mojo is not an MQA DAC. The Tidal app does decoding is why you see that in Tidal.

Best not to post such as this until you rule out “user error.” There is a learning curve with Roon.

I did have the tidal set up to play MQA thru rooni did have it set up as you did. No good no good. Is what i mean. There might be something i am not setting properly but according to within roon, tidal is set up as master quality.

When i connect my dac, it only reads the lowest quality. My dac usually glows orange, green or blue and sometimes purple.

I did have it set as you have.

Here is an MQA 24/192 decoded by Roon from 48 to 96. I’m using Mojo 2 so there is no MQA rendering. The Mojo 2 green light means 24/96 which is correct. I would have to switch to an MQA DAC to get the rendering to 24/192.

How did you set up in the roon app in chord mojo in audio set up?

This really helps! Thank you. I might be doing something wrong with my set up in the roon app in the setting for audio for mojo?

Can you let me know howyou set it up?

Thank you! This is good!!! This is good!

Thank you. I am almost there.

I don’t have a Mojo, but instead I have an iFi Zen DAC V2. Which has a built in MQA decoder, so it is not just a renderer.

Its signal path

Playing a 44.1 kHz standard MQA here. So the iFi lights up green. It goes dark blue when playing an MQA Studio track. And magenta when setting Roon to decoder only.

I’ve played 24 bit/192 kHz MQA Studio tracks without problems.

Thank you. did you turn on enable MQA core decoder in advance setting? This really helps. I am using the Astell and kern se180 to do this. so it is MQA decoder.