Tidal Issues - Frequent Message "There was a network error in accessing this album. Please check your Internet."

@support
This is becoming more and more frequent, but let me provide the details without getting caught up on the numerous reasons I’m beginning to regret using Roon

Setup:
PS Audio DSD DAC with Bridge, connected to Asus router via Ethernet. Router is connected directly to high speed cable modem. There are no special configs and the issue occurs when my Dell Inspiron laptop (Windows 10 of course) from which I operate Roon is connected via Ethernet itself or on either of the WiFi networks (standard or 5g). 200KBPS+ (currently 217.49 wireless) downstream Internet, verify every time the issue is encountered using Ookla. There are no concurrent downloads or uploads (or streaming) anywhere on my network, and I have verified this with Wireshark and of course by monitoring the devices connected to my intranet. Standard Windows firewall, have no problems with ANY other service, including Tidal when used on its own.

For the past several months, on an intermittent basis, I will open up Roon and attempt to play a song. Now, the songs that cause problems are as follows. For example, if I have saved one track, Jump, off of Van Halen’s “1984” on Tidal to my Roon tracks library, I will often want to listen to Panama or Top Jimmy (two different tracks on the same album), well in Roon the standard functionality is that ONLY the song you have saved to your library shows up when you search for a given album that contains that song. If you want to listen to a song not on your playlist, normally a little box/icon appears at the bottom-center of the Roon Windows desktop application where it says “Show entire Tidal album” (or something like that - I can’t see it now due too the issue I’m reporting, so that’s a paraphrase).

Issue #1 - as has been the case several times in the past few months, that option/box/link doesn’t even show up. So I’ll often I’ll restart Roon as I did just now, and then it will appear. But when I click on it, I get the Internet error message in the subject line. There is nothing wrong with my Internet. Furthermore, I launch Tidal to see if there is any issue, and there is NOT. Tidal immediately accesses the entire album. Roon offers no troubleshooting or network test functionality (Roon’s network, not mine or Tidal’s) but given the elimination of other variables, the problem is obviously something to do with Roon.

I cannot find an “about” button or link inside the Roon interface, but I am on the lastest version, having remembered that I was prompted to update a few weeks ago. The PS Audio DAC is on the Redcloud version of its firmware (there is an update, but irrelevant to this issue).

That is my first issue that I would like solved or at least I would like an honest answer on whether its known about.

Secondly, Issue #2 - the search feature in Roon (again searching Tidal) is sometimes comically bad. It doesn’t turn up OBVIOUS results which I then have to go to Tidal again just to make sure it’s actually there. In every case where Roon did not return the correct (or any) result, of course it’s right there in the top 5-10 results returned via my Tidal direct search.

Let me add that with Issue #2 it has ALWAYS been the case with Roon, however worse lately. I have been a user for about 7 months now I think. But from day one I have had friends come over and I’ll tell them all about how great Roon is and encourage them to find a song they want to hear on my system - forget it…the song or album they search almost NEVER shows up. We then check Tidal and there it is.

If I have missed any critical piece off configuration/system information, please let me know, but I am 100% confident, given a background in tech, tech support,networking and audio systems that the problem lies with Roon, either your servers’ interface with Tidal, or your overall connection to your ISP (incl. routing issues and latencies). But this is making your software unusable especially for the price.

Is there a quick and easy way to determine whether Roon or its ISP is having a problem at any time? For example a URL that we can plug into “down for everyone or just me” to see if one Roon server or another happens to be down? https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/roon.com

Any help appreciated.

4 Likes