Tidal Master / MQA: Show "M in a box" and visibility using focus [Implemented in Roon v1.5]

I know, it seems so strange that with all of this great technology and tagging ability that the best that can be done today is make a “Masters” tab when you are in the Tidal section of ROON.

+1 For an MQA indicator on Tidal

Yes please. The Tidal multiple album listing is terrible as it is without any indication of any difference before choosing one to play

Definitely want this feature. Note also that there is some inconsistency in Roon identifying MQA files.

See example below: The versions of “Blue” are HDTracks, TIDAL MQA, and TIDAL RedBook (left to right) - you see the “MQA” label on the MQA TIDAL album. The versions of “Both Sides Now” are HDTracks and TIDAL MQA - alas no “MQA” label on this one. I understand the blame is likely with TIDAL metadata, but what is it exactly? On the TIDAL app there is no such inconsistency.

We don’t add the MQA version info to TIDAL releases (yet). Are you sure you didn’t do this yourself?

I had… Sorry. :frowning:

1 Like

Currently when looking at tidal albums, it looks like the albums are duplicates, but actually one might be MQA where the other is not. It would be great to put a little emblem on the one that is MQA, to prevent the user from needing to go in and play one to check whether or not it is MQA.

1 Like

You could have searched before posting. It seems this request is posted daily. Everyone wants this. Please read the other posts.

Sorry to upset you dusty, on my mobile phone at the park, scrolled through a bit and didn’t see it

Dusty is not upset. He was just being instructive and he is absolutely correct. Put me in the camp of wanting the Masters/MQA tag, but in the meantime I’ve started tagging the MQA in my own library.

@Todd_DeSantis,
No worries, posts merged.

Hey Roon kids… Audirvana, Bluesound, Lumin, all show what albums are MQA. The metadata obvioulsy exists. Unless you tell me using this metadata requires agreement with MQA Ltd, please incorporate this. Yes?

Ignoring the pointless ‘kids’ and MQA sneer: this ‘metadata’ is part of the basic Tidal API. Since Roon does not use the API but parses the raw Tidal database instead, the Masters indication is not available.

That notwithstanding, it seems fair to expect this solved when Roon releases MQA support proper.

1 Like

In addition to seeing which album is MQA and which is not, I’d really like to be able to either filter in or filter out MQA titles from Tidal globally, to both reduce clutter in the UI and so I know whether I’m playing MQA or non-MQA versions. Since buying my Brooklyn DAC a year ago, I’ve heard more benefit with less hassle by upsampling to DxD and using the FR filter rather than the MPH filter required by MQA regardless of whether the title includes MQA or not. I usually use HQP for upsampling, but I’ve also been trying the DSP Engine built-in to Roon and it works very well.

And there may be room for even further improvement that doesn’t actually require MQA licensing in the player and/or DAC re: https://darko.audio/2017/07/kih-46-mqas-missing-link/

+1. Please add the “M” box in the same style as the “E” box that indicates Explicit.

+1 count me in :wink:

Upgrade to 1.5, and turn on this setting:

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: 1.5: Manually tagged MQA albums are not shown as MQA

This is awesome! Just did a google search for this option to show MQA tracks in Roon and found a bunch of posts from a year or so ago requesting this feature. And then…Roon prompted me with the Software Update Available message. I thought, “Wouldn’t it be cool if this upgrade gave me MQA tagging from Tidal?” I upgraded and, presto, MQA albums from Tidal now show up tagged in my album list. Talk about serendipity.

Thanks so much for this update!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 22 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.