Tidal Masters via Roon

Thanks, @brian. Makes sense.

Roon’s creation of the MY TAGS tab in Release 1.3 made tagging the Tidal MQA titles a pretty simple process. The MQA light on an MQA compatible DAC makes for a good verifier. As shown in a post earlier in the thread, I was able to complete over 100 albums in less than an hour. At some point, maybe these titles can be auto-tagged some way, but it’s a fairly simple deal to categorize them yourself. The KB link is posted below.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Tags

1 Like

Thanks Brian for the comprehensive explanation.

1 Like

I understand, but TIDAL also mentions the word “MASTERS” in name of the album. Is that something to use for tagging purposes?

How did you do that…???

rrwwss52…how did you create that playlist for the MQA albums…

In the MY Tags tab on the left of the screen (two clicks below internet radio) bring up My Tags and press on the dialog box. At the base of the box with your name in it, select the blue + NEWTAG to create a tag. The Create Tag box will appear, Name it MQA or whatever. Named mine Tidal MQA.

Then add the MQA music title to your library, and press add to tag on the 3 dot bar next to focus, below the artist name. Check the box with the tag and you should be good to go.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Tags

Hope that makes sense…

A few more pics. Note on the last one the green MQA tag on screen

@David_Smith You can automate bulk tagging a bit.

“Favorite” a lot of MQA albums in Tidal.
Sync the Tidal service, if you don’t want to wait (Settings, Services, Tidal Edit, Sync Now).
You will get all those Tidal MQA albums added to the library. If you are in the Album browser, sorted by Date Added, they will all appear first. Select them ( right-click the first one, shift-click the last one).
Three dots menu up top, Add to tag, select as described.

2 Likes

Your way looks easier…I added them in mass, but added them one at a time confirming with the MQA light. :grinning:

Without looking at it as metadata, is there any problem with display the M symbol that is present in the Tidal desktop app ?

Roon already displaying the E. So adding the M should be simple, or ?

I’m not requesting the possibility to search M, only that Roon displaying what already is available in Tidal.

This will be very useful as when dual or triple versions of an album shows up in a search, you will most likely understand what is MQA or not. If you are allowed to do playback or not should not be a valid argument for not showing the M as pure information, or am I wrong?

1 Like

Hi @brian

Does the latest build, 242, with it’s MQA related changes, mean we’re a little closer to see the ‘M’ symbol when browsing Tidal? Or not really?

Not at all asking about a timeline but the technical challenges involved, since Roon can now identity MQA files.

Cheers

I’m not sure. It depends whether we decide to go down the path of trying to re-construct that data ourselves or not.

Ok cool, thanks Brian

Thanks for Roon update identifying the MQA titles in the signal path Brian. It definitely simplifies the confirmation process.

Hey @danny

Without discussing any timelines (I hate those ‘are we there yet’ posts as much as you) can you share what’s left, with bringing MQA decoding to Roon?

Is it more of a contractual thing with MQA Ltd (no need for details) or are there still technical issues you guys are working through with the actual decoding part?

Now that Roon can sniff MQA files on Tidal, I thought that may be the last hurdle.

Just thought I’d try my luck at asking lol. Again, I don’t need or care about actual timelines, moreso what are the hurdles still left (if you can share).

Cheers mate

1 Like

A nice article on MQA Facebook link to Forbes

1 Like

Hey @brian

I’m playing the attached song and Roon’s sniffing tells me it’s a 24/44 MQA file.

But playing the same song via the Tidal Windows app, my DirectStream DAC tells me it’s a 24/88 file.

Is this normal? Or is Roon’s sniffing not working properly for this track?

Hopefully we might hear something at this.
“The MQA team will be one of the many tech companies at the IFA 2017 consumer electronics show in Berlin from September 1 through September 6. There they intend to announce a host of new partnerships, including the embedding of the technology into a smartphone, MQA playback on more portable music players, new streaming-related partners and an expansion of MQA master recordings available on Tidal.”

1 Like

Is MQA decoding turned off in the TIDAL app?