Tidal playback issue - 1st day on trial

Yes. Roon was very unstable and nothing seemed to correct the issue when both my SGC i5 containing Roon and my dCS Upsampler we’re connected directly to the ports on my main Orbi router. I removed those connections and inserted a unmanaged switch with a 1m Ethernet cable then connected the devices into the new switch. Rock solid since.

Yes, many issues are resolved by not using the router as a switch.

@wizardofoz @Jim_F @AndyR @Rugby @GKern @MikeD @Still-One thank you all for your assistance. It’s not an easy one because of location of my HW and choice on my side (aesthetics, convenience etc) - I get that. I appreciate the time you have taken to respond to a new person, had to disappear yesterday for family things. I’ll try buying a new usb c hub with an ethernet port (as I was mooching around a new one of those anyway) and try plugging directly into the router/modem and see what happens. For me, ease of use and maintenance is high up on the list so this may not work. That may be shooting myself in the foot (!), I realise that. Anyway, thanks again for your help and time.
Jonathan

When I started with Roon, I was running the Roon core on my laptop which was connected via WIFI. When that didn’t work, I purchased a USB to ethernet dongle. I was able to pull a short ethernet cable through the wall from where my router is located.

When I started with Roon, I was running the Roon core on my laptop which was connected via WiFi. It worked fine… :wink:

But when I decided to stick with Roon, I still bought a NUC (and hard wired it into my router) because I didn’t want to run the laptop every time I wanted to listen to music…

Bottom line - I’d suggest doing whatever you can (cheaply if possible!) to make Roon work properly during the trial period so that you can make a sensible choice about what you might need to do should you decide to run with it. I’d definitely endorse getting hold of the usb-c hub with an ethernet port!

There are always exceptions. Roon recommends ethernet for a reason.

1 Like

I know. I was lucky. But I still ran a wire from laptop to router and went to bed while Roon imported and analysed all the music on my NAS…

Hi everyone - hopefully this pops into your feed again!!

Well, ethernet directly into my fibre modem/router - core on my 2017 MBP, using the mac’s internal speakers as the end point. Nothing (well, errors).

Internet radio plays happily. Tidal? Nope. Same errors. Press play, or play from here, and the ‘cursor’ moves swiftly through a bunch of tracks in the playlist (2 to 5) like its trying to find one it can play, and then the error messages again.

DNS server changed to google. Wifi switched off on my MBP leaving only the ethernet connection (all green and working).

I’d welcome any further thoughts please?

Lets tag @support.

They can walk through logging out and back in again and maybe also help with a cache issue.
They will know.

–MD

Thanks @MikeD.

Hello @Jonbsbd, could you please test this after going into “Settings>About” and verifying you’re on build 610? It should look like this:

If you’re running build 610, please go into “Settings>Services>TIDAL” and temporarily set your streaming quality to “CD quality” as a test, then play to system output (the built in speakers of the mac) and see if this issue persists? If you have any questions about doing this, please let me know!

Hello Nuwriy @support - thanks for the response.

Yes - on 610.
Went into Settings>Services>Tidal>Edit> if thats the way to do it.But i get this>

Thanks

That’s odd. I think typically there is a dropdown box that allows you to choose the stream quality, like this:

Yes, mine looks different.

Apologies in advance if I don’t respond quickly. Not sure where you are based - I’m in the UK and it’s almost time for bed!!

Thanks for your continued help.

No worries, Are you sure you paid your last Tidal bill?

That looks a bit fundamental… I’d try the completely unscientific log out of tidal and log in again trick…

(I’d not twigged that Tidal wasn’t playing at all - sorry)

1 Like

@GKern - ha! Yes, but you made me worry for a nanosecond, before I realised I’d been happily playing it earlier!

@AndyR - and in a completely unscientific way, Tidal now works. Well it does tonight so I’m hopeful. And all over wifi!! I just played the first 10 seconds of my first track!! Thanks for even suggesting it. My streaming quality is now a drop down.

@support - thanks, solved by the great community. Any chance you could reset my 14 days please? I really would like to try this out.

Thanks all. Got to go to bed. Will play more tomorrow.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.