TIDAL playback stops partway through

I’m experiencing the same problem. Usually going back to the partially played track will result in it playing back 100% the second time.

I haven’t been able to find any logging about why the track is not played fully. Where do I need to look? Just having playback skip without any indication of cause makes it very difficult to troubleshoot.

The endpoint I’m using is a Squeezebox Classic.

Edit: Also happening with Chromecast to KEF LS50 Wireless II.

Both are using wired Ethernet (not Wi-Fi).

2 Likes

Hi @Kim

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Does the same behavior occur if you go to Settings > Services and lower TIDAL quality to the lowest setting?

Hi @dylan

The skipping is still happening, although not as much as before. From the way it sometimes almost doesn’t happen at all, it could be a load issue with Tidal. But it could also be the Roon core doing something (although that typically comes with fan noise that I haven’t noticed). I doubt that it would be congestion on my Internet connection (on my part; cannot speak for the ISP; but generally I have not had issues with the Internet).

My setup:

• Core:
    • Debian 10.9
    • Intel NUC5i7RYH (i7-5557U)
    • 16 GB RAM
    • 500 GB SSD (Samsung 850)
    • Roon version 1.8 (build 790)
  • Networking: Core and end-points are wired using 1 Gbps CAT6
    • Core switch: Dell EMC N1124-T
      • Roon core connects here
      • Router connects here
      • Distribution switch connects here
    • Distribution switch: HP ProCurve 1810G-8
      • KEF LS50 Wireless II connects here
      • Living room switch connects here
      • Internet upstream connects here
    • Living room switch: HP ProCurve 1810G-8
      • Squeezebox Classic connects here
    • Router: Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite 3
      • There are two routers configured with VRRP, but the network is not flaky and isn’t switching to the backup router.
    • Internet: 1000/100 Mbps “fiber” service (hand-off using Ethernet from ISP switch)
  • Streaming service: Tidal
    • I just added Qobuz but haven’t yet figured out how to run the radio on Qobuz only. I also have not inspected all the most recent skips, but I think they have been on Tidal. (The radio tends to play mostly Tidal in my experience so far.)
  • Library:
    • 2530 Artists
    • 14811 Albums
    • 178830 Tracks
    • 167 Composers
    • Note: These are numbers from now that Qobuz has been connected. I’ve synced favorites from Tidal using Soundiiz.

I use volume leveling on both end-points.

Hi Kim, I see numerous reports of others experiencing this problem. I have a wired network with dedicated OSX headless Roon Core and Meridian ID41 endpoint. My ISP and network haven’t changed topology in more than 2 years. I too experience the exact same problem you have reported since v1.8. I was previously a Sooloos user and this proved to be far more reliable than Roon. Roon seem to be travelling backwards on basic user functionality and reliability. I don’t really care about new features but I do want it to work the way it is supposed to and not make each of my listening sessions a software debug investigation. I really hope you are able to get traction on this.

… and not make each of my listening sessions a software debug investigation.

Yes, it can be frustrating, especially when there is little visibility to what the problem might be. And time consuming when you’d rather be relaxing.

But I have high confidence in the Roon staff figuring this out, as there are plenty of reports. So it is not depending on just me having time to try things out. :slight_smile:

Hey @Kim,

Thank you for following up with all the details Dylan asked for and for your trust in the Roon Staff :nerd_face: .

I’ve made sure your thread is in Dylan’s queue and you should hear from him soon. Unfortunately, the delay was caused by him having to take last week off due to not feeling well.

Sit tight :pray:

I’ve cancelled my TIDAL subscription as everything is working well with Qobuz.