Tidal, Qobuz or both?

Hey John,

I listen to a mix of Tidal stream thru roon, my ripped albums on a NAS and RP. Is the Qobuz mobile and Carplay interface better than Tidal?
What are the areas of Tidal that you find better?

I would like to settle on one streaming service but I don’t want to go through the hassle of favourite transfer only to find a gotcha.

It’s just a crop from this screen, the main album focus.

.sjb

1 Like

I am a hifi/masters Tidal subscriber and I have mixed feelings about Tidal mainly as it appears to be more bias to R&B and Hip Hop especially in the playlists. Other than that I am happy and I make my own playlists. I am giving Qobuz a try now and I see no difference as it is just another streaming service that does the same thing. The MQA vs Hi Res sounds the same and no “Wow” factor for me to switch especially when I am paying 1/2 price for military discount in Tidal. Having both is just annoying when searching. If you have money to burn then why not.

I ditched Qobuz after evaluating it because the Carplay experience is awful. Tidal forgets what it was last playing from time to time, but it’s a much better experience in the car than Qobuz.

Qobu promised Android Auto integration “by the end of summer 2019.” That came and went a few weeks ago. No Android Auto. I’ve started listening/using TIDAL a lot more since.

I currently have premium versions of both services but have been wondering lately if I really need to have both Tidal AND Qobuz.

If you also have both services and plan on keeping each of them, what are your reasons.

I had both premium versions earlier this year, but decided to keep just one service since there was no benefit in having both.I decided to keep TIDAL because 5-10% of my library wasn’t available in Qobuz.

2 Likes

I have both, but may drop Tidal when my 6 months paid subscription is up. Qobuz is now only $12.50 per month if you pay for one year before the end of January.

1 Like

Where do you see that promo? I am ending my trial and would like to extend.

Thanks

Qobuz site. I paid $149.99 for one year subscription.

I prefer Tidal MQA, but some titles I want are only available in Hi-Res in Qobuz (like the Chandos label), so for now I will keep both. The Qobuz price reduction helps.

1 Like

I do like to purchase the FLAC files and the Qobuz Sublime+ account give you some pretty good discounts on downloads (sometimes). To date, I have purchased 47 releases and I’d guess that I’ve saved about $4 per release (compared to regular price / HDTracks).
This amounts to around $235 in savings since July of 2019.

That said, I also have a Tidal sub that I got included with a purchase from Best Buy. There are some tracks in my library that Qobuz does not have but are on Tidal. However, Tidal does not have purchased downloads. So I’m not sure what I’ll do after the Tidal sub expires. If it expired today, I’d probably not renew.

I’ve had Tidal and Qobuz for several months now and it’s become harder and harder to justify keeping them both. It’s not very often that I can’t find what I’m looking for on both services. Because Tidal is $20 a month and I only paid $150 for a year of Qobuz ($12.50/Mo), I’ve decided to end my Tidal subscription and keep Qobuz.

These videos compare the two:

Mine:

and also:

Useless video. Don’t need to watch a video for someone to say they don’t like MQA and complain about the price of Qobuz because they don’t understand the price deal.

2 Likes

Well said!

1 Like

Useless video. Don’t need to watch a video for someone to say they don’t like MQA and complain about the price of Qobuz because they don’t understand the price deal.

You seem confused. What Qobuz didn’t honor is what they advertize here:

https://try.qobuz.com/faq-studio-premier/

I had this, yet they refused to honor it:

• You’ve had your Sublime+ annual plan for a while now (over 2 months ago)
    The remaining value of your current plan is likely less than $249.99. This value is calculated on a pro rata basis (days before your plan expires * previous Sublime+ price / 365).
    You can subscribe to Sublime+ now at $149.99 with a discount based on the remaining value of your current plan on the day you make the switch.
    Ex: Alice has 90 days left on her current Sublime+ annual plan for which she paid $299.99. She subscribes to Sublime+ for another 12-months with a $73.97 discount (=90$299.99/365).*

There’s nothing I don’t understand there (other than why they reneged on their own published deal…)

I bought a one year plan for $149.99.

1 Like

I was offered the same deal from Qobuz and they did honor it with no problem.

You shouldn’t give the impression that this is an unbiased comparison of Tidal and Qobuz when it’s actually a hit job on Qobuz.

You say you compared the music on both services but you neglected to mention which genres of music you were referring to.

You’ve stated that here, multiple times now. [moderated] Do you work for Qobuz, or something?