Tidal skips tracks on macOS, no issues on Windows same network

Roon Core Machine

Primary Core Machine #1: macOS Monterey 12.0.1/Roon 1.8 Build 831 - Mac mini 2014/2.6 Ghz Intel Core i5/8 GB RAM/500 GB SSD

Test Core Machine #2: macOS Big Sur 11.6/Roon 1.8 Build 831 - Mac mini 2018/3.0 Ghz Intel Core i5/64 GB RAM/500 GB SSD

Test Core Machine #3: Windows 10 Professional/Roon 1.8 Build 831 - HP Z2 Mini G3/3.4 GHz Intel Core i7/16 GB RAM/256 GB SSD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

All CAT6 ethernet connections: xfinity Cable Modem > Apple Airport Extreme 802.11 ac (6th Generation) > tp-link TL-SG105 5-port Gigabit switch > hardwired Cat6 ethernet to all computers. Speedtest results on all computers typically about 300 Mps download/10 Mps upload 20ms latency. All DNS servers set to 1.1.1.1

Connected Audio Devices

KEF LS50 Wireless via USB, Optical and Ethernet/Audioengine D1 USB DAC/Airport Express A1264 hardwired Cat6 Ethernet

Number of Tracks in Library

1700 Albums/24,000 Tracks – Local storage and Tidal HiFi Plus

Description of Issue

I originally submitted this issue on Dec 8th (Tidal Playback Issues on MacOS), still waiting on a response from Roon support. I upgraded all core machines to Build 882, but Tidal keeps on skipping tracks on the Mac mini cores. I can play one track at a time at full Master resolution, including files up to 24/192. However, I have to change the streaming quality all the way down Normal (the lowest setting) for a whole album to play without skipping or freezing up.
Important to note that performance is solid all around on the Windows machine, connected to the same switch on my 100% hardwired network. Additional details on my original post from Dec 8th.
I’ve rebooted and reinstalled Roon on both Macs, also changed the DNS to 1.1.1.1 for both. Problems started beginning with build 831 and continuing with build 882. Never had these issues for the past few years up to and including build 814, with no network changes. Please let me know what else can be done to resolve, thanks!

Are you running 3 separate Roon Cores? Or is one the Core and the others just remotes?

In my experience, dropouts, stalling etc are symptoms of network latency. Are all devices connected directly to the router or is there an intermediary switch or hub?

Thanks for your response! I’m only running one core at a time… switching Roon core authorization to the 2nd and 3rd machines for testing purposes only.

All computers are hardwired to the same 5 port switch, which is connected to the router. I’ve also tried connecting the computers directly to the router, but still have issues with both Macs.

Since Roon on the Windows computer works flawlessly off the same router, I suspect it’s a problem with the Mac network configuration settings or Roon builds 831/880/882, not thinking it would be a network hardware/internet/Tidal service problem.

A puzzle indeed. My network topology is similar to yours though the devices differ. Fibre interenet, speedtest at 300.

I have a Mac Mini i7/16GB as my Core and several wired and wireless endpoints, one being a wired M1 Mac Mini. I just set up Tidal streams to 3 endpoints all using DSP.

No issues whatsoever. Troubleshooting best practice is to reduce the number of variables then test and add back one variable at at time and re-test. What happens if you completely disconnect one of the Mini’s and test the other? Sorry I’m just a Roon user like you and don’t have any insider secret knowledge.

Of course your mini’s report they are networked via ethernet and not relying on Wi-Fi??

There was a thing about macs and the ethernet card being in its green power saving mode. Maybe check and disable that if it is set.

Good idea to try disconnecting one mini while testing the other… I’ll give that a try later on today. Yes, they both show ethernet and wifi connection on the Network settings page. Will also try shutting the wifi off for testing. Thanks!

Thanks for the idea to check power settings, Ged… both minis have been set to prevent automatic sleep and hard disk sleeping is also unchecked.

Also have a look at the ethernet connection and see if it is set to be in green mode.
I think it’s called EEE Energy Efficient Ethernet. Set that to off.

If you’re referring to Wake On Lan, which can be set on all computers, it should have no effect once the computer wakes and begins streaming.

No EEE. It’s completely different.

Thanks for the clarification and the screenshot… my settings are identical.

Got it. Settings are here: Network > Ethernet > Advanced > Hardware
Automatic does not use EEE.

My only difference is the MAC address is set to configure Automatically. Would it be better to do it Manually?

… all my other settings on that page are identical to above, only just greyed out.

just following up on ged’s suggestion. No real indication that that’s the cause of your woes.

With the Christmas break coming up I think your mac will be a 2022 investigation now. Good luck.

Yes, I think it will be awhile before Roon support gets to this thread. Thanks for your responses, Ged and BC… much appreciated! Best wishes to you and your families for an enjoyable Christmas break!

Hey @Sergej_Jakovenko, can you try setting the IPv6 mode to Link-local and let me know if things improve? Thanks!

Hi Kevin, Thanks for your suggestion… I set the IPv6 to Link-local and restarted the computer, but no changes. Tidal streaming started skipping tracks immediately when I tried to Play now on a 16/44 album, same result selecting Play from here. Individual tracks will play fine one at a time. Please let me know what to try next, thanks!

Thanks for giving that a shot. From what you’ve shared so far, and after enabling diagnostics and scanning logs, this is definitely a networking issue. A few other suggestions come to mind:

• Do you have the firewall enabled on your mac (or any antivirus software)? Try turning it off from Settings > Security & Privacy > Firewall
  • You’ve already tried setting your DNS to 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare), can you try 8.8.8.8 (Google)?
  • Have a different router you can try?
  • Factory reset the airport extreme
  • Try a different Ethernet cable