Tidal stop playing and Roon jumps to the next title (local and Qobuz are ok)

Hi @danny, @dylan,
long story short - build 793 beta doesn’t work either.
9 skips, 2 or 3 interrups and a complete stop in about 40 minutes.
Test run approx 16:00-16:42 o’clock.
Internet connection running like hell, Qobuz stream without any issues, Tidal server…Screenshot 2021-05-14 Tidal 16_35

It would be fine to get the next beta version from roon.
Am I able to support with anything else? Thanks.

I guess this is the wrong file. I uploaded another one.

@dylan, @danny

Sorry, I guess it was the wrong log file - this is the right.

what does this mean?

Your logs show that TIDAL servers are hanging up on you.

Your feedback is not giving me enough data… too many red herrings and too few comparisons that matter. This is what I asked for:

Do any of you have a situation where you have a computer that is running a Roon Core and also the exact same computer is running TIDAL, and when you use either Roon or TIDAL to play to the exact same endpoint (via USB or built-in audio), Roon fails but TIDAL succeeds? If so, I’d be interested in seeing TIDAL app configuration screenshots and Roon signal path screenshots – I’d also like to see Roon Core logs from that failure.

You need to be playing the exact same content, and I want to make sure you have no networking funny business, which would include any firewalls, VPNs, VLANs, virtual machines, emulators, etc… Even apps like Little Snitch could be interfering (we had a user that once was throttling Roon traffic accidentally), so I want them out of the equation.

Also, please keep your posts about this topic limited to this thread, as I’m getting confused on who has reported what and when. If you’ve already given the above info, please point me to it, because I can’t find it. Thanks!

Hi @danny, @dylan,

Since my post No. 20 I’m refering to a webpage “allestörungen.de” and then TIDAL. This webside reports server downtimes and people report issues they have with TIDAL.
I wrote several times that it seems like there is a relationship between issues with TIDAL streaming from roon and reports on that webside.
More or less - less or zero reports at that webside follows in less issues with TIDAL in Roon.
But even if there are more reports on that side - the TIDAL App ALWAYS worked and I never got skips or interrupts. Please see also post No. 36!

In my post No. 26 I made an exact comparison at about the same time and as I wrote back I cannot fullfil the same computer and exactly the same time because I only have one computer.
The rest is included in that report.

I’m sharing my conclusions and I don’t throw out red herings.

I can do this test run again like I did in post no. 26 but with this number of failures it’ll come to the same result. From my point of view nothing has changed at beta 793.

Some of my feedback got moved from Dylan into the separate Mail message “Test Discussion”.

AND I’m not saying Tidal has no impact on this issues, but TIDAL App CAN handle it. Roon NOT!
A lot of other persons also report that Roon cannot handle TIDAL - so please fix it or change your advertisement " THE ULTIMATE MUSIC PLAYER FOR MUSIC FANATICS - but not with TIDAL".

It sounds a little bit like falling back to old habits. Sorry.

If I get an update and first it switches back to an older version than this will be fixed, then next installation and one skip hunts the other - that’s not good.
Thanks.

Shall I do another test trial like in post number 26? I’ll do so. What was missing in that report?

Hi @danny, @dylan,
I made the next trial but I had some hiccups (system didn’t show the right nummer of the library (album and titles)) and because of that I made a restart at about 7:08 or something like that.
Test trial started at about 6:00 o’clock (internet speed test 6:03 showed 818Mbit/s and started ping protocol)
Playback ran quite well for about an hour, then I restarted roon because of the library numbers and got that fixed. Between 7:08 and 7:15 I got two skips and switched immediately to TIDAL App and ran this for about 30 Minutes (7:15-7:45) flawless without any issues.

Tidal server outages showed already a few issues at 7:0x.

At 7:45 I started Roon again:

1. skip at Imelda May “Made to Love”,
  2. skip at Imelda May “Diamonds”,
  3. 5% at Imelda May “Don’t let me stand on my own”,
  4. skip at Imelda May “Can’t say”,
  5. 35% at Imelda May “Just one kiss”,
  6. skip at Imelda May “never look back”,
    and I stopped (documentation) of that test at about 8:30 o’clock

At other times I used the Roon Radio function - which is quite good I think - and I let it run with TIDAL an Qobuz titles and I got the same pictures as always - Qobuz streaming always works under Roon, Tidal streaming sometimes not (too often))

At 22:30 I started another test (liviing room output) and I started with the TIDAL App.
No issues till 23:00 (TIDAL App.).
At 23:00 I switched to Roon with TIDAL or TIDAL/Qobuz and got the first skip at 23:35 o’clock (TIDAL).

1. skip at Freya Ridings “Castles” MQA 44.1 kHz)
    Until about 0:00 o’clock I got no further skips or interrupts.
    Quality setting at TIDAL AND TIDAL in Roon “Master”.

So far I got no feedback from my TIDAL support request (1398330)!

1 Like

Hi @gerard_bodell,
I don’t know if you have seen in my thread that I have tested already a new Beta 793 build.
This was not successful, but the roon guys are aware of it. Even if it’s written in the headline I only have issues with TIDAL streaming (Qobuz and local content is fine).

My own conclusion is, that TIDAL is also part of it. Maybe a support request at the TIDAL side also helps. Thanks.

Thanks Peter! What’s puzzling to me is that I have no issue using Tidal with my LUMIN App but I do using Tidal with Roon. LUMIN says they buffer the music which is the reason theirs work better. It feels like a guessing game and stringing things out and not engaged support from Roon so far. For $10 per month it appears this is the level of service provided. Hope I’m wrong. @beka @dylan

Hi @gerard_bodell,
I agree and that’s what a lot of people experiencing here. TIDAL App and other Apps - for example I use Bluesound as well - they work without skips or interrupts.
But if you look at Tidal server outages (Webpage “allestörungen.de” and then TIDAL you recognize issues there as well. Roon has to be much more robust and TIDAL should also improve their stability.
But your statement is that this was better with Roon 1.7 - right? Was it just better or good before?
Thanks.

Hey @Peter_Kuehnel,

Thanks for letting us know that this is an issue you’re experiencing - and sorry about that! I’ve split your posts into a new topic, so we can focus on just your issue.

Could you please use this as a guide to tell us a little more about your setup?

Hi @beka,
I have already a thread about all this and Danny Dulai and Dylan are involved.
Titles (Tidal and library) stop playing and Roon jumps to the next title
That’s also the reason for the Beta 793!
I guess it’s not needed to explain my system again.
If you wanna do me a favor - please delete the “and library” out of the headline.
It could mislead some people. It’s only the TIDAL integration which doesn’t work.
Thanks.

1 Like

Done, and topics merged.

2 Likes

Hi @Carl,
Thanks, I’m impressed!
:+1: :+1: :+1: :handshake:

1 Like

Try updating Roon to build 795.

Hi @dylan,
Hi @wklie,
it doesn’t update.
Do I just have to wait for the WIN 10 version 795?
Thanks.

Hi @Peter_Kuehnel

We did some testing of B795 with others who were experiencing issues, and the results were extremely positive! In taking a look at your logs, we can confirm the errors we had been seeing before are no longer present.

We did see some cases where Roon failed to start playback right at the beginning when using System Output — This looks like network problems based on what we are seeing.

The Just One Kiss example looks like an issue communicating with Bluesound — Not the same issues that others were seeing.

Have you seen any skipping partway through a track when playing to System Output?

Hi @dylan,

As long as you don’t say it’s my network! :wink:
When I take a look at the last 2-3 days it was better with TIDAL.
But on Tuesday I got 3 skips within an hour.
Two of these skips were during the track.
Today I got no skips and yesterday it was also better but also 1 during a track at 85% as far as I remember.
My normal experience I’m refering to was not to the system output - just the special trials I reported. And yes, “Just one kiss” had an Bluesound Node 2i endpoint.
I can test System Output once more. :wink:
Do I get the Build 795 today or do I have to wait.
Thanks.

If the Roon update is not available if you check it manually, reboot the whole network.

Hi @danny,
Hi @dylan,
here are the first results from a test trial with Build 795, started May, 20th, about 18:00 o’clock till 0:00 o’clock (6h).
System Output to delete other influences, Quality setting = HiFi (not Master as before); vodafone speed check around 18 o’clock listed 888Mbit/s (with the influence of streaming → means maybe even more without streaming). I’ve chosen different albums upfront and did not use the Roon radio functionality.
Here are my observations from this test run:

• at 6pm and the start of the album the 1st track skiped (Jorja Smith “Addicted”),
  • then I switched something around and started the 2nd title “Gone” again but there was no other issue from the system (everything was fine)
  • no issues for the next 4 hours
  • 22:08 o’clock 60% at Birdy, “Celestial Dancers”
  • 22:18 o’clock skip at Aurora, “Runaway”
  • nothing else till 0:00 o’clock

Snapshots:
vodafone speedtest at about 18:00 o’clock

Snapshot from the two issues (60% and skiped title at about 22:08 o’clock).

Screenshot 2021-05-20 22_08 Tidal
Tidal server outages - Peak behind 17:00 is at about 18:00 o’clock the others are around 22:00 o’clock, 1st diagramm line is at 6 reports

Here is the log file:

And this is a short summary of the last days:
Yesterday with 793 beta was quite good - 1 skip at 85% (endpoint Bluesound Node 2i; shorter test 4 or 5h)
Tuesday with 793 beta was not bad but I guess 3 issues within an hour and a few others (average about 1 per hour).

My statement and I know I’m the bad guy here.
I would say it’s (a little bit) better - is it robust enough - not by my expectation. :cry:
I would say TIDAL performance was better than average over the last days.
And always remember - TIDAL App, TIDAL connect and Bluesound does play music without issues (of course I have no comparison from today but from a lot of other days with not the best TIDAL server performance).
Please still optimize roon, maybe TIDAL can also help (today I created the next TIDAL request ticket),…
Thanks a lot in advance and let me know what’s missing.
:wink:

1 Like

I’m in awe of the lengths that @Peter_Kuehnel has gone to here - to explain the issue he had.
A really interesting set of posts.
I had what seemed to be exactly the same issue, with many tracks skipping, but since update 795 - all seems OK now.
I guess that it will need more than around four hours of listening (all I have managed between 795 release install and now) to determine if this has fixed the skipping issue for me…
So far so good…

David

1 Like