Tidal won't login after latest roon update [fixed in 1.3]

I hesitated in posting my workaround as I didn’t want that to impact @support’s ability to troubleshoot and fix the problem.

Please, everyone, send logs as @mike requested!

1 Like

Andrew does one perform the double reboot trick when (eventually) logged in or when login has failed?

Also in linux specifically what process are we killing?

Cheers

This is a workaround if you are currently experiencing a “Tidal Login Error” or a Roon login error. (Both are ultimately related). If you’re getting one of these errors you won’t be able to login no matter how many times you try.

You don’t want to kill anything. Killing one (or more) of the Roon processes could make your situation much worse.

You need to use the service start / stop procedure that is correct for the version of Linux that you are running. Most newer releases are using systemctl otherwise you’ll use service.

On my Ubuntu 16 system I use:

sudo systemctl stop roonserver
and
sudo systemctl start roonserver
to stop and start RoonServer

If you’re running a distribution that is using upstart then you’ll use:

sudo service roonserver stop
and
sudo service roonserver start

One or the other command set will work.

many thanks

i have webmin on my debian 8 server so can stop/start roonserver.service remotely with that

all good now, thank you

I cannot login to Tidal. I get an error “There was an unexpected error, Please check your accouynt details”. Have stopped/started the Roon app on the ST to no avail. I can login to the Tidal web page with no problems.

Yep. I alkso rebooted the ST and then tried again stopping/starting twice. I also get an error on the Roon Account tab on the remote: “Error retrieving Account information”

Checking the Roon diagnostic log I see the following error:

12/10 12:43:04 Warn: Error in web request https://accounts5.roonlabs.com/accounts/3/machineallocate: NetworkError (Error: SecureChannelFailure (The authentication or decryption has failed.))

Thanks. I tried the double stop/start yet again but it remains the same. It seems there is no Internet access from the ST, although access across the LAN is OK. And, everything connected to the same switch (Bryston BDP-1, PS Audio P10) is connected to the Internet with no problems.

Hi @Gustavo_Gabaldon ---- Thank you for the report. I went ahead and moved your report over to this thread to keep this issue consolidated into one spot. Please see @mike’s post above, thanks!

-Eric

Thanks. I wil try to provide the logs later but just wanted to point out that the network problem also affects the identification of an album by Roon. This is on the Roon diagnostics:

12/12 08:37:12 Warn: [metadatasvc] FAIL https://metadata5.roonlabs.com/md/4/automaticsearch?uid=ca460c72-59a7-4f5b-af52-b622e09ec66e&lid=&token=02938ec6-9373-46af-9903-6012a23d4909 (183ms) NetworkError

1 Like

@support,
When can we expect a fix for this??? I do not have Tidal. Worse, in most cases Roon is not identifying new disks, so overall, I am quite crippled here.

It is a Linux based server “Sonic Orbiter”, double reboot works like a champ. Thanks.

Same here cache did not work this time for me but double restart did.

Incidently Qnap latest beta firmware update made Roon disappear for me I had to roll back.

Hi, checkout this topic.

It is working just fine for me right now. No issues whatsoever. Fingers crossed.

@support It’s been nearly a month since this bug was reported and still there’s no release that fixes this.

Thanks to @AMP there’s a workaround but unfortunately this is was not permanent for me. It worked for a few days and then I had to restart the server again. My NUC is running headless so this is a hassle as I need to hook up a keyboard and mouse every time. Now even the workaround is no longer working for me :disappointed: The only way to get Tidal back is to completely restart the NUC.

For the fourth or fifth time this year, Roon can’t run Tidal. I get a pink box with “TIDAL login failed.” It worked fine yesterday afternoon. This morning, no joy. Tidal itself is running fine. I rebooted both my core Mac mini and my iMac remote - neither Ronn core or remote find Tidal. My iPad Ronn remote can’t find Tidal either. I see that others have had the same problem in the past (as have I). What causes this and why isn’t there a permanent fix?

I had the same issue, renewing my login information in the settings menu fixed it. I’m not aware of a permanent fix.

In addition, I did not reboot either machine prior to the problem occuring. Neither machine was turned off, and Roon and Tidal were running over night.

Same here just now. Re-entering my password solved the issue.

Andreas

Hey @stevev1 We have investigated this issue, and found two separate problems, both of which are now resolved.

One issue was traced back to a bug in the 3rd party HTTP implementation that Roon uses on Linux, and the other issue was traced back a server-side change made at TIDAL which required that login sessions be re-established unexpectedly. These fixes both concern outside entities and as such, they were reasonably complex, and we weren’t completely in control of the timing.

Point being, when we have simple low-risk fixes, we always try to get them out as quickly as possible, even if that means porting them back to the previous release, and putting that one change through QA before releasing it. We do everything we can to avoid leaving bugs out in the world for a minute longer than is required.

Unfortunately, in this case the fixes have been more involved and can’t easily be separated from the work we’ve been doing over the last few months for 1.3. Getting this release right has taken longer than expected, and we’ve been discussing changes that will minimize the chances of this happening again in the future. For now, these fixes need to be tested as part of 1.3, and will be released when it goes live.

This has dragged on longer than we’d like, and for now I’d encourage everyone to read over the steps posted above and pass on details to our team, so we can confirm our understanding of the issue.

We appreciate your patience everyone, and I assure you all that we’re working hard to get this resolved as soon as possible.

1 Like