Time (Duration) of tracks: Major issue for Roon in order to identify an album is to Identify track time

When asking Roon to Identify an album one the issues which pops up a lot/often is the message (an usually the only issue):

Track timing is red and with !. Per track timing is listed (all or some) in red and with !, which I assume means track timing/duration does not match (with what?). I do not understand the issue as the timing in the metadata has been there since creation and is - I assume - technically determined. So why can the timing be wrong and want are the consequences when I blindly accepting the proposed new times?

Content you’re reporting an issue with

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

If you’re talking about self-ripped CDs it may be due to a setting called something like “remove silence at beginning/end of track”.

1 Like

Thanks, but can I blindly accept the proposed changes by Roon? Or am I in trouble. JRiver has never any issue with time/duration

Not sure, but if it shows the correct album/title, you seem to be all set.
Let’s see, what @support has to say about that, as I’ve just pinged them…

Hi Paul, there’s no harm (from a damaging your Roon point-of-view) in identifying anything against anything, even the wrong album(!).

But assuming that you just want to do the right thing ( :stuck_out_tongue: ), if one or more track times are out, it just usually means that we don’t have an exact match to your rip, or there’s a technical difference with your rip (as pointed out above), or someone entered the track time metadata wrong (it happens more than you might think). As Marin says, if the metadata look good, then go for it.

You can always re-identify at a future time if you want to.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.