Time to clean up my library

When I set up Roon I had a mix of albums from my past that I ripped onto my NAS drive. Some are MP3 and I would rather delete and download the best current version from Tidal. Some are FLAC albums that I purchased and I’m happy with those.

I tried clicking on the three dots next to the album and clicking Edit > Delete album. I read in a community post that this was supposed to delete the files. The files on my NAS are still there. It seems that Roon is playing a FLAC version of the first album I’m experimenting with. Not sure where that album is coming from.

Bottom line: I want to go through my album collection and only keep the FLAC versions on my NAS, I want to delete the MP3 versions and replace them with the best version Tidal has. I don’t want to keep the MP3 versions on my NAS.

Any tips?

Delete the albums directly on your NAS from a PC/Mac which have a proper mechanism for navigating file systems: eg, file explorer/finder! Roon will pickup the changes and modify its database accordingly. When you’re done, goto Roon Settings > Library, and “clean up library”.

Here’s what I did:

• I picked an album to experiment with

• I followed your instructions and waited for the indexing to end. I wasn’t sure how long that would take

• I went to the album in Roon. It was still there. I tried playing it. It played with no errors.

If you really want to remove EVERY single mp3 file you could do a fast batch delete through Windows.

open CMD .drive letter: then DEL / S /Q * .file extension

But be warned it WILL remove every single mp3 file with no exceptions!

1 Like

Michael I have replaced hundred’s of mp3 albums with CDs this year and I did exactly what Mikeb suggested. I deleted them from the folders and then went into settings->Library and pressed the clean my library button and it deletes the deleted tracks from my Room library.
I did this 10 minutes ago and it deleted the 96 tracks that I updated yesterday.

In your NAS scenario though you might need to force a library rescan for it to show them as missing, which doesn’t need to be done on Rock based Room.

:frowning: I do have a Roon Rock. I’ll try rescanning the library. Now all I have to do is find where that is. I know where “Clean up library” is from the earlier suggestion. Is rescanning different?

If it still plays, you possibly didn’t delete what you thought you were! Within Roon, find a track and press the 3 dots for “file info”. Make sure this is the path you’re deleting outside Roon on your NAS. And I apologize, as pointed out by @Michael_Harris , a NAS setup often requires a manual rescan.

Just for fun I clicked on “Clean up library” again. I reported all zeros, including deleted files in my file system. I searched my NAS for names of three songs on the album thinking the album was also in another folder. Nope. Nothing there.

I clicked the three dots next to the album name, then Edit > Album Options. I clicked on “Delete album” and it came back with “This album has been deleted”. I went back to the artist area and looked at the albums and finally it was gone.

Looks like this is a two-step process.

Then I searched for the album, Roon found it in Tidal, and I added it. It is the FLAC version that I want in my library. Mission accomplished.

In summary:

• I tried “Delete album” at first. It says that it will delete the files on my NAS drive. Nope.
  • I tried deleting the files on my NAS drive, then “Clean up library”. I verified that the files did not exist on my NAS drive. But Roon was still able to play the album.
  • After deleting the files on my hard drive, then deleting from Roon, finally it was gone.

Seems like it should be more simple than that. FWIW, I’m using a Roon Rock.

2 Likes

Michael only on my phone and don’t have the force scan option there, but I delete album’s from the filesystem multiple times a day, the difference is I have all my music synced from my NAS to my Rock so it probably has a callback there to tell Room that it has been deleted and then Toon updates. It’s the same when I copy fnew albums to Roon, they show up on Rock as the first files hit Rock, it’s pretty impressive.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.